Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Irish need apply...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I would not be surprised if the Independent posted that advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The only hassle I've got so far in Australia for being irish was from another irish person when they found out I wasn't into the GAA, "You're not really Irish then, are you?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

catbear wrote: »
    The only hassle I've got so far in Australia for being irish was from another irish person when they found out I wasn't into the GAA, "You're not really Irish then, are you?".

I hate that crap. I'm from Blackrock in Dublin and I don't really have a Dublin accent so I've often been told "You're not really from Dublin/Irish then, are you?"

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Aussie wrote: »
    No, did i say this in my Reply, Nice try though.
    It sounded like you implied it. Even if not the case, Surely you can see how somebody might read it that way as you directing it at the irish.

If not, could you explain then, how it's related to the above gumtree post and the Irish.
    Sounds like someone is sick of poor work ethics and work standards.
    So would I, but you obviously dont know anyone with a disability or you would find the R word as vile as i do, just as heads up its up, it is in the same league as the N word for Black people.

Off topic. The word isn't universally offensive. Not when used in a manner completely unrelated to mental disability.
    I don't like it at all when the word is used in association with disability, even politely. As it's totally obsolete. So I don't have the connection between the two anymore. The coloquial use of retard should break this connection for everyone. And it will end up like Imbecile or Moron, both of which were once psycological terms, yet today quite mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Im on the verge of bboking flights to OZ,im a brickie myself and finished up work last friday and if i can id like to keep working and avoid the dole-it doesnt look like ill be able to get any work over here.

Could you tell me what the situation is with work over there maybe-is there much work around?

Yeah there is work around, not as much as people make out but its there.
    The construction of house's in Perth has slowed down and the wages dropped since i started, but if you put the effort in a learn the Australian ways in bricklaying you should be sorted.
    Its expensive to live in Perth and your wage wont match the miners but its a good wage for the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Mellor wrote: »
    It sounded like you implied it.

I did not think the written text had a sound
    Even if not the case, Surely you can see how somebody might read it that way as you directing it at the irish.

If not, could you explain then, how it's related to the above gumtree post and the Irish.

Direct quote from the link,
    "Simon, the man who placed the ad, defended the move today stating that he was sick of Irish people applying for jobs with no experience.
    “I have no trouble with Irish people,” he told Independent.ie, but he would not disclose his full name or the name of the company he works for.
    “But I’ve had to fire a number of people. I’ve had lots of Irish people say they have experience bricklaying but come over and have no clue how to lay bricks"

and my reply was

Sounds like someone is sick of poor work ethics and work standards.

So yes, i think Simon is sick of poor work standards and ethics. ie Somebody = Simon.

Off topic. The word isn't universally offensive. Not when used in a manner completely unrelated to mental disability.
    I don't like it at all when the word is used in association with disability, even politely. As it's totally obsolete. So I don't have the connection between the two anymore. The coloquial use of retard should break this connection for everyone. And it will end up like Imbecile or Moron, both of which were once psycological terms, yet today quite mild.

So just because Black people call each other the N word is it cool for me to call them it as well??? if its cool for them hey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

250 in a town with money to burn seems a bit low for brickying.

Anyway, this is the Indo, its possible a journalist posted the ad themselves to create a story. Bit like the sh1te that went around (that a god awful amount of people, mainly tradies, believe) that No Irish Wanted was a common poster outside building sites in Poland. Aye, because obviously in some Auf Wiedersehen Pet throwback Irish lads are trying to labour on Polish sites for 3 euro an hour. Even when the Poles were coming to Ireland their McJobs were populated back home by workers from non EU states. If anything alot of Aussie firms prefer Irish staff, despite the Monday risks that go with it....

Ha, the thing's happened in Australia, it's all about the Irish - and again it's all gonna end up with talking about the Polish. Common sense, where are you!!? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Its all very disappointing really that as a nation we are losing the ability to drink all night and still turn up for work having popped a few solpedeine and a breakfast roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

Blocklaying is not the same as Bricklaying ... there are probably many blocklayers [perfectly good at their job in Ireland] aiming for work in other countries ... some of whom would never construct using concrete block.
    Australia just happens to be a place with high standards in work practice and safety. If anyone applies for a job there, they have to be aware of that and if an employer has experience of failures, he/she will see fit to change selection procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

So apparently the ad was placed by an Irish or English bloke....
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0314/1224313271708.html?via=mr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Mr NoTV wrote: »
    Blocklaying is not the same as Bricklaying ... there are probably many blocklayers [perfectly good at their job in Ireland] aiming for work in other countries ... some of whom would never construct using concrete block.
    Australia just happens to be a place with high standards in work practice and safety. If anyone applies for a job there, they have to be aware of that and if an employer has experience of failures, he/she will see fit to change selection procedures.

A qualified bricklayer from any country should be well able to build bricks, blocks and other types of masonary world wide.
    House designs and ways of building might be different but you still use the same materials and use the same methods with a trowel and mortar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

So apparently the ad was placed by an Irish or English bloke....
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0314/1224313271708.html?via=mr

The guy I rang (Chris Ford) was English, had a bit of an Aussie twang but was defnitely a Pom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

"IT SOUNDS like a bad joke, but both an Irishman and an Englishman have said they posted a job ad on the Gumtree website looking for a bricklayer, but warning that “No Irish” need apply."

Must.....Resist..Urge.....To......Laugh.My...Fcuking....Arse...Off

Seriously though, the only people this will affect is Irish tradsesmen who actually bothered to do an Apprenticeship, not these Spanners who have burnt bridges before them, and the worse thing about it is they will be back in Ireland pretending to be something or other sooner rather than later, the old "If you can Piss you can Paint" mentality is alive and well.

Look he should have just said 'No Muppets' rather than no Irish, IMO there was no racism just a dose of sectarianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Jumpy wrote: »
    You do realise that the Irish also did all of the above right?
    Please provide evidence and by that I mean gleaned from primary source material not some dubious second hand accounts you've dug up online.

The thing that gets me the most is the arrogance and double standards of Aussies. They will turn around and tell the Original owners of the land to get over it. But dare to say 'get over it' to the diggers when they march every ANZAC Day and you risk getting lynched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod So it appears the ad was placed by an Irish or English guy - so it well be some sort of joke leading up to st Patrick's day ... But that is speculation

So now can we get back on thread?
    No 'sure all Aussies are racist' 'No we are not, sure look at the way poles get treated in Ireland' 'Look at how the aboriginals were treated'
    Don't want anything massively off track and let's keep it in recent history
    We will not tar Australians based on one stupid ad posted by an Irish/Englishman.

hussey wrote: »
    so it well be some sort of joke leading up to st Patrick's day ... But that is speculation
    Sorry mate you can't just play it down by saying it was a joke and we should all just move on. Even if it was a joke which I highly doubt it was done in extreme bad taste.

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2011/07/17/comment-time-for-the-stupid-irish-joke-to-be-laid-to-rest/11036

dSTAR wrote: »
    Sorry mate you can't just play it down by saying it was a joke and we should all just move on. Even if it was a joke which I highly doubt it was done in extreme bad taste.
    Mod
    I didn't say it was a joke, I speculated it may be a joke please learn the difference, my points stands, it was made my an Englishman, so why are people tarring Australians with the racist brush?
    <edit>Note: I am not accusing you of being racist, at all.</edit>

so why are people tarring Australians with the racist brush?
    For the record:

This post was edited the original singled me out personally by saying..

so why are you tarring Australians with the racist brush?

For the record:

No he didnt.

• Advertisement

For the record:

Mod No I didn't - any mods here can see the edit I made, which I will now edit again and put an <edit> around

Secondly, you are arguing with a mod on thread, if you have a problem with moderation please PM other mods of the Australian/Travel forum, if you are not happy with this, please open up a feedback thread

Don't want anything massively off track and let's keep it in recent history.
    Please provide your reasoning why we should only stick to recent history.

Is it because you alone have decided that Australia's shameful past is better off forgotten or because for whatever reason you don't want people to make a link between the racism of the past and its modern incarnation?

Is it because you alone have decided that Australia's shameful past is better off forgotten or because for whatever reason you don't want people to make a link between the racism of the past and its modern incarnation?

Brilliant, post of the day ;) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

This thread has become so predicable..!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Don't want anything massively off track and let's keep it in recent history.

I decided. Now drop it. It's boring. Yeh I also decided its boring too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Double post.

Brilliant, post of the day ;) ...
    Smarmy much?

Are you actually going to answer the question?

Troll alert

Smarmy much?

Are you actually going to answer the question?

It should be pretty obvious that because an Englishman posted 'No Irish' that it is nothing to do with 'Australia's shameful past' as you put it.

• Advertisement

It should be pretty obvious that because an Englishman posted 'No Irish' that it is nothing to do with 'Australia's shameful past' as you put it.
    Has that been confirmed or are you just speculating after receiving second hand information?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement