Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day and the demon drink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Doc,

Have you ever worked in a casualty department at 2am?

It's really sad. And a huge per centage of the cases are due to over-indulgence.

Have you ever been around Eyre Square between about 2 and 4am?

I'm well travelled and I'd much rather be in Spain or Italy, for example, than looking at all these people who feel they have to get out of their minds to 'enjoy' a night out.

I know that English people drink too much too (I don't like Liverpool or Manchester city centre at 2am either), but this thread is about Paddy's Day in Galway.

It's not racist or stereotyping to be genuinely concerned that alcohol consumption is a cause of huge concern in this city or country. Most of us are Irish, too, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I hear plans are afoot for the off-licences to open after 12 midday so they can sell less booze.

is this really a solution?

If the city organised some entertainment in the form of a funfair like Dublin does the young ones would go to that. I mean what is there for teenagers to do. watch the parade and then what-go home?
    even the 1% in the square,if they are still there come Saturday, said they would organise fun activities.

how much a problem around the city is the boozing on our national day?

The Off Licenses close early in Dublin and even though there are alternatives on offer there is a shameful amount of binging on display from people of all ages.

Take a quick stroll through Dublin on the 18th and you will see the number of shop windows put in , overflowing rubbish bins and assorted vomit, chipper debris.

The ones who are determined to drink will do so anyway and also will have stocked up on cheap booze in advance.
    I suppose opening the off licenses late on the day itself might discourage people from taking to the streets to party and hopefully they'll stay at home.

I'm sure there will be some markets, street performances and the like , there are also several sporting fixtures on Saturday but the mindless will do what they always do and drink themselves into oblivion

I live in Dublin but will be in Galway this weekend. The parade in Dublin is good but once it gets later in the day the atmosphere is vile , there are full on riots in some areas. A lot of suburban skangers come into town for the day and fight with each other. I've literally stepped over people passed out on the street at 6pm in the evening

If I had kids or teenage family I wouldn't want them anywhere near the festivities in Dublin.

The culture of binging with no accountability for your own or other people's health and safety is unfortunately a nationwide problem.
    I'm not really too sure what the solution is other than for us all collectively to grow up, adopt a healthier attitude to alcohol and try and foster a better sense of self than a bunch of drunks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

celty wrote: »
    It's not racist or stereotyping to be genuinely concerned that alcohol consumption is a cause of huge concern in this city or country. Most of us are Irish, too, after all.
    Indeed its not racist to be concerned. It is racist to single out the Irish and say that we as a people have a serious alcohol problem which we use the 17th to display to the world, which is what I'm objecting to. And I'm still waiting to find out if this jkforde character actually is Irish or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I've quite a bit of difficulty taking what people "see with their own eyes" at face value when a comment like this:

isn't seen as racial stereotyping. For pity's sake, can you even read what's been written.

Clearly no point debating anything with you as all you do is attempt to talk down to people and then also get stuck on one point. Hope you have a great Paddy's Day and make sure you close your eyes incase you see any drunken Irish and they dont play to your world view.

When I was in New York more than a decade ago, I was embarrassed by how everyone felt it was necessary to get drunk to mark 'Pattys Day' (cringe).

The whole city didn't have to get drunk to mark any other national day.

Similarly, in Thailand, all the expats where I lived took the day off to drink all day.

It is a national stereotype, it's also true. Paddy's Night is a horrible night if you are brave or foolish enough to wander around sober at a certain hour.

It's the mindset of people that needs to be changed. Irish people need to realise they don't have to get s--faced to have a good time ... and then the stereotype (racist or not) will change.

Enjoy Paddy's Day. I'm glad there's sport on TV, cos I won't be trying to negotiate my way through hundreds of drunks in the city centre by 7pm.

• Advertisement

When I was in New York more than a decade ago, I was embarrassed by how everyone felt it was necessary to get drunk to mark 'Pattys Day' (cringe).

The whole city didn't have to get drunk to mark any other national day.

Similarly, in Thailand, all the expats where I lived took the day off to drink all day.

It is a national stereotype, it's also true.
    So let me get this straight, hold on - your thinking is, stop me if I'm wrong here, your thinking is that because American people in New York and various nationalities in Thailand felt the need to get plastered, Irish people in Ireland have a justified reputation as violent drunks?

There just are no words. Actually there are words but I wouldn't want Biko to strain his shoulder with the banhammer.

If anything this is an illustration of why the vicious and ignorant racist stereotype propagated by the slow of wit and sloping of forehead needs to be removed, to save the livers of people who are thick enough to actually believe it.

Ah dearie me, some thought they were going to come on here and deliver a smug homily to the wretched drunk paddies before going about the rest of their day bathing in the glow of their own superiority, and now instead they have to spend the rest of their day worrying whether or not they might be better off wearing a white hood with holes for eyes. Such is life I guess, full of surprises.

So let me get this straight, hold on - your thinking is, stop me if I'm wrong here, your thinking is that because American people in New York and various nationalities in Thailand felt the need to get plastered, Irish people in Ireland have a justified reputation as violent drunks?

There just are no words. Actually there are words but I wouldn't want Biko to strain his shoulder with the banhammer.

If anything this is an illustration of why the vicious and ignorant racist stereotype propagated by the slow of wit and sloping of forehead needs to be removed, to save the livers of people who are thick enough to actually believe it.

Ah dearie me, some thought they were going to come on here and deliver a smug homily to the wretched drunk paddies before going about the rest of their day bathing in the glow of their own superiority, and now instead they have to spend the rest of their day worrying whether or not they might be better off wearing a white hood with holes for eyes. Such is life I guess, full of surprises.
    Like a 'good laddie' you should re-read celty's post and see that he said expats, maybe though as you didnt understand that word you chose to ignore it and just rush headlong into another pointless and just plain wrong statement. Just accept that we have a reputation for having a love of alcohol/problem with alcohol in this country, i cant understand how someone who thinks they are so intelligent (noticed from your condescending attitude) cant see this and accept it. You really are becoming embarrassingly bad with your persistence.

I thought you had vanished off back down wherever you came from.
    Like a 'good laddie' you should re-read celty's post and see that he said expats
    Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise there were only Irish expats in Thailand.
    Just accept that we have a reputation for having a love of alcohol/problem with alcohol in this country
    We have that reputation because gobshites keep peddling it to feel better about whatever problems are plaguing their own miserable lives.
    , i cant understand how someone who thinks they are so intelligent (noticed from your condescending attitude) cant see this and accept it. You really are becoming embarrassingly bad with your persistence.
    Getting that uncomfortable creeping feeling down the back of your neck? That hot flush? I'm not, I feel great. But then again I'm not saying that Irish people fit a stereotypical image of being drunken troublemakers.

Not really. Irish people do get too drunk on Paddy's Day in Ireland, and that's why the stereotype has spread overseas. I was just talking to a girl in a city centre shop today and she hates Paddy's Day precisely because so many people in Galway City Centre are pissed out of their minds by 7 or 8pm.

No need for all the ridiculous emotive language about racism. I'm Irish, this is a Galway City forum, and like other posters here I've had too much experience of witnessing the mess which is our national holiday in Galway because of abuse of alcohol over the years.

That's not racist, that's what this goddamn thread is about.

It's actually quite ridiculous to make KKK / white hood references in relation to this thread. Accusing Irish people of being racist against their own race is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on boards, especially when it's relation to comments about our national holiday being ruined by too much alcohol.

Alcohol is a depressant, or haven't you noticed. And haven't you noticed that the suicide rate in this country has gone up alarmingly in recent years. But let's bury our heads in the sand and say there is no link here, at all, at all.

I'm not a bit superior. I'm someone who overindulged myself for years, but I'll tell you what ... just go for a (sober) walk from Eyre Square to Spanish Arch at about 11pm on Saturday and calm down, good lad.

If you report back, I'm sure you'll have a sad tale to tell.

• Advertisement

I thought you had vanished off back down wherever you came from.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise there were only Irish expats in Thailand.

We have that reputation because gobshites keep peddling it to feel better about whatever problems are plaguing their own miserable lives.

Getting that uncomfortable creeping feeling down the back of your neck? That hot flush? I'm not, I feel great. But then again I'm not saying that Irish people fit a stereotypical image of being drunken troublemakers.[/QUOTE]
    How mature of you, im glad you cant back up your opinion anyway with any significant points and that you just resort to strange digs.

Not really. Irish people do get too drunk on Paddy's Day in Ireland, and that's why the stereotype has spread overseas.
    A respectable proportion of the planet's population gets too drunk on paddy's day. That's not why the stereotype exists though. It exists for the same reason that any racist stereotype exists, due to ignorance and people spreading it through ignorance.
    I was just talking to a girl in a city centre shop today and she hates Paddy's Day precisely because so many people in Galway City Centre are pissed out of their minds by 7 or 8pm.
    Great, can you get her to sign on to boards so we can add her anecdote to your and still prove nothing.
    No need for all the ridiculous emotive language about racism.
    As soon as people stop saying that the drunken Irish stereotype is in some way justified, I'll stop talking about racism.

It's actually quite ridiculous to make KKK / white hood references in relation to this thread. Accusing Irish people of being racist against their own race is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on boards, especially when it's relation to comments about our national holiday being ruined by too much alcohol.

Alcohol is a depressant, or haven't you noticed. And haven't you noticed that the suicide rate in this country has gone up alarmingly in recent years. But let's bury our heads in the sand and say there is no link here, at all, at all.

I'm not a bit superior. I'm someone who overindulged myself for years, but I'll tell you what ... just go for a (sober) walk from Eyre Square to Spanish Arch at about 11pm on Saturday and calm down, good lad.

If you report back, I'm sure you'll have a sad tale to tell.
    I think doc ruby has gone beyond any point he/she was attempting to make by now so i think its pointless attempting to have any sort of informed debate with him/her. Honestly i think he/she is just trolling now.

Actually alcohol intake has been reducing even further recently. What's entertaining are the contortions you are bending into to try and justify racism, though.

I mean its not like a higher suicide rate might have anything to do with the economic collapse, homes being repo'ed, severe financial worries or spiralling unemployment or emigration or anything, no.

You've made a complete show of yourself at this stage, I wonder how long it will take before you realise it.

A respectable proportion of the planet's population gets too drunk on paddy's day. That's not why the stereotype exists though. It exists for the same reason that any racist stereotype exists, due to ignorance and people spreading it through ignorance.

Great, can you get her to sign on to boards so we can add her anecdote to your and still prove nothing.

As soon as people stop saying that the drunken Irish stereotype is in some way justified, I'll stop talking about racism.
    As soon as ye stop telling me im wrong i'll stop throwing the toys out of the pram. :rolleyes:

As soon as ye stop telling me im wrong i'll stop throwing the toys out of the pram. :rolleyes:
    Oh, its not just me, its a whole array of government reports and studies along with international comparisons and statistical findings. Here, have another:
    A NEW STUDY has shown a major decline in the average alcohol intake of an Irish person over the last decade.
    The study from DCU’s Business School showed that alcohol consumption has fallen significantly since 2008, and had also fallen significantly in the earlier part of the decade.

While some of this drop-off is attributed to cross-border shopping, which would offset some of the reported drop in intake, the current figure – of 12 litres per adult – is still significantly lower than it had been in 2001, when it stood at 14.4 litres.

Those figures reflect the quantity of ethanol, rather than merely alcohol drink – meaning the average 12-litre intake equates to an average of 422 pints of cider.

Anthony Foley, the economist who undertook the study, said the 2011 figure was likely to be revised even further downward given the new census which showed a higher-than-expected spike in the population.

With similar revisions then due for the years 2007 to 2011, the average input figure was likely to be lowered to 11.8 litres.
    In international terms, average consumption increased in several OECD countries but declined in Ireland,” he said.

http://alcoholireland.ie/alcohol-facts/alcohol-related-harm-facts-and-statistics/

It is certainly not racist for an IRISH person to express concern at alcohol abuse in IRELAND.

Doc Ruby,

Just a few facts I've copied and pasted from the link above, cos I guess you won't bother reading it.

In 2010, the average Irish person aged 15+ drank 11.9 litres of pure alcohol, according to provisional data. That’s the equivalent of about 44 bottles of vodka, 470 pints or 124 bottles of wine
    Over half of all Irish drinkers have a harmful pattern of drinking, that’s 4 in 10 women and 7 in 10 men who drink
    Alcohol-related problems cost Ireland an estimated €3.7 billion in 2007: that’s a cost of €3,318 on each person paying income tax in Ireland
    A higher proportion of Irish women who drink compared with women in other European countries (77% compared to 68%)
    When we consider the above statistics alongside the fact that one in five adults in Ireland don’t drink alcohol, it means that those who do drink are consuming much more than consumption statistics show
    Alcohol consumption in Ireland increased by 46% between 1987 (9.8 litres) and 2001 (14.3 litres) when our consumption reached a record high
    Even at current levels, we are still drinking 20% above the levels we drank at in 1986/1987

At least we can agree on one thing, alcohol abuse has gone down a bit in recent years, but that was from an extraordinarly high level. And if you take all the teetotalers out of the equation, it's frightening. But I guess that makes me a 'racist' (ha, ha) or the Polish girl in the shop near where I work is racist because she hates how drunk people get on Paddy's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Jeez, you'd need a drink reading this thread, party poopers !

Enjoy the holiday, I for one need it and intend to enjoy it :)

http://alcoholireland.ie/alcohol-facts/alcohol-related-harm-facts-and-statistics/

It is certainly not racist for an IRISH person to express concern at alcohol abuse in IRELAND.
    Doc Ruby,

Just a few facts I've copied and pasted from the link above, cos I guess you won't bother reading it.

In 2010, the average Irish person aged 15+ drank 11.9 litres of pure alcohol, according to provisional data. That’s the equivalent of about 44 bottles of vodka, 470 pints or 124 bottles of wine
    Over half of all Irish drinkers have a harmful pattern of drinking, that’s 4 in 10 women and 7 in 10 men who drink
    Alcohol-related problems cost Ireland an estimated €3.7 billion in 2007: that’s a cost of €3,318 on each person paying income tax in Ireland
    A higher proportion of Irish women who drink compared with women in other European countries (77% compared to 68%)
    When we consider the above statistics alongside the fact that one in five adults in Ireland don’t drink alcohol, it means that those who do drink are consuming much more than consumption statistics show
    Alcohol consumption in Ireland increased by 46% between 1987 (9.8 litres) and 2001 (14.3 litres) when our consumption reached a record high
    Even at current levels, we are still drinking 20% above the levels we drank at in 1986/1987
    That was already linked in the thread, and responded to.

See what I mean about the level of shall we say awareness amongst those trying to further this racist stereotype?
    but that was from an extraordinarly high level.
    No, no it wasn't. Really, there's no way back from the corner you've painted yourself into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

At least we can agree on one thing, alcohol abuse has gone down a bit in recent years, but that was from an extraordinarly high level. And if you take all the teetotalers out of the equation, it's frightening. But I guess that makes me a 'racist' (ha, ha) or the Polish girl in the shop near where I work is racist because she hates how drunk people get on Paddy's Day.

No it wouldn't make her racist because the Irish aren't a race.

That was already linked in the thread, and responded to.

See what I mean about the level of shall we say awareness amongst those trying to further this racist stereotype?

No, no it wasn't. Really, there's no way back from the corner you've painted yourself into.
    Yawn.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Jeez, you'd need a drink reading this thread, party poopers !

Enjoy the holiday, I for one need it and intend to enjoy it :)
    You would definitely need one after trying to explain things to people anyway. I for one will be enjoying a few pints Friday and Saturday but i'll know my limit, unlike the many who won't, good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Just accept that we have a reputation for having a love of alcohol/problem with alcohol in this country
    , i cant understand how someone who thinks they are so intelligent (noticed from your condescending attitude) cant see this and accept it. You really are becoming embarrassingly bad with your persistence.

But many Irish people LOVE propagating this stereotype themselves -many are those who do like to party beyond the beyond - then there is some weird guilt about *needing* to live up to it.
    This stereotype comes from ourselves. The tourists come for fun, not vomit.

I quoted another poster above "And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. People's reputation here for going a bit mental on the drink is what attracts millions of euros of tourism, I dare say more than the culinary offerings or even theatres and performing arts. Deal with it."

It has come to the point (for some, not all) that there is almost a civic duty to get off ones face or there's something wrong with you.
    It's the oddest peer pressure language - and we've all heard it (particularly among lads) "you're letting the side down" "have you no stamina" "drink it for your county" "you'll be miserable going out sober" etc? All daft phrases.

No, it's not all of us but it's a sizeable amount trying to hang onto a stereotype which they've made a reality for themselves, in the name of some warped sense of belonging.

If the backlash against booze seems too harsh, that's usually the way before a cop on happens.

inisboffin wrote: »
    It has come to the point (for some, not all) that there is almost a civic duty to get off ones face or there's something wrong with you.
    It's the oddest peer pressure language - and we've all heard it (particularly among lads) "you're letting the side down" "have you no stamina" "drink it for your county" "you'll be miserable going out sober" etc? All daft phrases.

No, it's not all of us but it's a sizeable amount trying to hang onto a stereotype which they've made a reality for themselves, in the name of some warped sense of belonging.
    I reckon that might depend on the company one maintains. How and ever the facts, reality, and research are quite clear - there is no truth to the stereotype, or at least certainly not enough to single out the Irish.

And what's funny about this thread is you can point this out certain people as often as you like and they'll still sit there with their mouths flapping like landed fish, looking at you with slightly glazed eyes, saying "bu-bu the Irish are drunks! FACT!" That is the face of racism.

And this has a real effect on the lives of real people who never did a thing wrong. Damn right it should be put down wherever it rears its mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

What about the Irish reputation for fighting?

For "Doc Ruby" .. a little snapshot of Paddy's Day in Galway two years ago. I guess the person who wrote this is 'racist' as is Cllr Niel McNelis, in your warped view of the world...

Booze cause of 37 arrests on St Patrick’s Day

March 19, 2010 - 7:45am Kids in school with hangovers, claims Cllr

By Darragh McDonagh
    MORE than 1,000 cans of alcohol were seized by Gardaí and 37 people were arrested for drink-related public order offences during the St Patrick’s Day celebrations in the city on Wednesday.
    Hundreds of bottles of wine and spirits were also taken from people drinking in public places as part of a major Garda clampdown which is being hailed as a great success.
    Ten motorists were also arrested for drunk driving and the Emergency Department at University Hospital Galway reported a “significant number” of alcohol-related presentations during the course of St Patrick’s Day.
    The problem of underage drinking during the festivities was highlighted by a city councillor, however, who said there were children who were “suffering from hangovers in school” yesterday morning following the parade.
    Councillor Niall McNeilis said he was alarmed at the age profile of many of the revellers that he saw drinking in the city centre on St Patrick’s Day and blamed negligent parents for the occurrence of the problem.
    “There were groups of children younger than 16 drinking on the streets on Wednesday,” he reported. “It’s such a pity to see the uptake of the drink culture by people of such a young age and it has to be asked, Where were the parents?”

Despite the spectacle of underage drinking, Councillor McNeilis said that the day had been a tremendous success, and praised performance of the Gardaí as “exceptional”.
    “An Garda Síochána maintained a presence at the Spanish Arch from early in the morning and nipped in the bud the potential for trouble posed by large groups forming,” he said. “The provision of port-a-loos also made a difference to the problem of people using the streets as a toilet as occurred last year.” A Garda spokesperson described the occasion as a “busy day for public order offences”.
    For more on this story, see Page 2 of the Galway City Tribune.

Bookmark/Search this post with

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have to agree with the dissenters.

We are talking about underage kids, in huge groups, roaming town during the day and getting involved in physical violence.

I can't speak for Galway but I saw some horrific scenes when I was 16 or so and going into town on Paddy's Day in Dublin.

More 'racism' against the Irish ... by a girl called Mairead, shure she couldn't
    be Irish .. hic!

Drunken Mayhem on St. Pat’s Day

By Mairead Carey

Politicians are clamoring for new laws to deal with public order offenses after the traditional day of binge drinking and mayhem that is St. Patrick’s Day.

More than 700 people were arrested around the country on the national holiday. Most were arrested for being drunk and disorderly and failing to move on when requested to do so by the Gardai (police). The number of arrests was almost double that recorded last year.

In Dublin some 407 people were arrested, over half of those were held on foot of public order offenses. There were several violent incidents including assaults and fighting.

Gardai and ambulance services were also called to pick up the pieces after a fight involving tens of youths on another evening train.

Hospital Accident and Emergency departments across the capital reported a huge increase in the number of admissions. Tallaght and Beaumont hospitals in Dublin dealt with 400 patients overnight. Ambulances brought at least 50 people to hospitals with injuries after a spate of serious assaults.

A fire brigade spokesman described the situation in the early hours of the 18th as “unreal,” with violence much worse than last year.

In Cork over 60 people were arrested arising from drunk and disorderly behavior. More than 60 arrests were also made in Limerick, with seven people taken into custody after a fight broke out at a bar in the city center.

Gardai in Galway described drink-related violence at this year’s St. Patrick’s Day festival as the “worst ever” with over 50 arrests made. About a quarter of those arrested were under the age of 18.

The St. Patrick’s Day mayhem has led to politicians from across the political divide calling for new measures to tackle the problem.

Labor and Fine Gael have called for off-licenses in Dublin to be closed until 6 p.m. on public holidays including St. Patrick’s Day in a bid to cut down on excessive drinking during the day.

Fine Gael’s Dublin spokesman, Senator Brian Hayes said, “We can’t encourage people to come into town to enjoy a parade when at the same time you have people out of their heads with drink. There has to be some curtailment of the amount of drink available to people on public holidays.”

Fine Gael health spokesman Dr. Liam Twomey said that a new system for charging drunk patients for clean-ups and broken equipment was needed, particularly as the hospitals could not refuse to deal with a drunk patient or bring in a specific levy for being drunk while attending the hospital.

Fine Gael’s European Parliament Member Avril Doyle said binge drinking was one of the most urgent challenges facing European health ministers. She said the ready accessibility of alcohol must be looked at very seriously.

But while violence once again marred the festivities, hundreds of thousands of people did turn out to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and take part in the parades and other activities organized across the country.

The biggest parade took place in Dublin, where some 700,000 people turned out in sunshine to see the event, which involved 3,000 participants and 17 international marching bands.

Almost 100,000 people in Cork turned out to watch the Parade of Dreams, a special event to celebrate the city’s title as European Capital of Culture this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Doc,

Have you ever worked in a casualty department at 2am?

It's really sad. And a huge per centage of the cases are due to over-indulgence.

Have you ever been around Eyre Square between about 2 and 4am?

I'm well travelled and I'd much rather be in Spain or Italy, for example, than looking at all these people who feel they have to get out of their minds to 'enjoy' a night out.

I know that English people drink too much too (I don't like Liverpool or Manchester city centre at 2am either), but this thread is about Paddy's Day in Galway.

I wonder would Galway have any problems with alcohol if you could get it everywhere and if pubs were open 24/7.
    I do not believe we drink more than other nations. you have German beer festivals where folks get sloshed, but things are supervised by private security and police.maybe its stands out in Galway because the population is so young but the city provides few alternatives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement