Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day and the demon drink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

celty wrote: »
    For "Doc Ruby" .. a little snapshot of Paddy's Day in Galway two years ago. I guess the person who wrote this is 'racist' as is Cllr Niel McNelis, in your warped view of the world...

Booze cause of 37 arrests on St Patrick’s Day

March 19, 2010 - 7:45am Kids in school with hangovers, claims Cllr

By Darragh McDonagh
    MORE than 1,000 cans of alcohol were seized by Gardaí and 37 people were arrested for drink-related public order offences during the St Patrick’s Day celebrations in the city on Wednesday.
    Hundreds of bottles of wine and spirits were also taken from people drinking in public places as part of a major Garda clampdown which is being hailed as a great success.
    Ten motorists were also arrested for drunk driving and the Emergency Department at University Hospital Galway reported a “significant number” of alcohol-related presentations during the course of St Patrick’s Day.
    The problem of underage drinking during the festivities was highlighted by a city councillor, however, who said there were children who were “suffering from hangovers in school” yesterday morning following the parade.
    Councillor Niall McNeilis said he was alarmed at the age profile of many of the revellers that he saw drinking in the city centre on St Patrick’s Day and blamed negligent parents for the occurrence of the problem.
    “There were groups of children younger than 16 drinking on the streets on Wednesday,” he reported. “It’s such a pity to see the uptake of the drink culture by people of such a young age and it has to be asked, Where were the parents?”

Despite the spectacle of underage drinking, Councillor McNeilis said that the day had been a tremendous success, and praised performance of the Gardaí as “exceptional”.
    “An Garda Síochána maintained a presence at the Spanish Arch from early in the morning and nipped in the bud the potential for trouble posed by large groups forming,” he said. “The provision of port-a-loos also made a difference to the problem of people using the streets as a toilet as occurred last year.” A Garda spokesperson described the occasion as a “busy day for public order offences”.
    For more on this story, see Page 2 of the Galway City Tribune.

Bookmark/Search this post with

what do the powers that be do with all the booze they confiscate?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

For "Doc Ruby" .. a little snapshot of Paddy's Day in Galway two years ago. I guess the person who wrote this is 'racist' as is Cllr Niel McNelis, in your warped view of the world...

Department at University Hospital Galway reported a “significant number” of alcohol-related presentations during the course of St Patrick’s Day.

What exactly is meant by presentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

They drink it while they smoke the other confiscated substances.

@mallachyrivers, to present, to show up, I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Booze cause of 37 arrests on St Patrick’s Day

March 19, 2010 - 7:45am Kids in school with hangovers, claims Cllr

By Darragh McDonagh
    MORE than 1,000 cans of alcohol were seized by Gardaí and 37 people were arrested for drink-related public order offences during the St Patrick’s Day celebrations in the city on Wednesday.
    Hundreds of bottles of wine and spirits were also taken from people drinking in public places as part of a major Garda clampdown which is being hailed as a great success.
    Ten motorists were also arrested for drunk driving and the Emergency Department at University Hospital Galway reported a “significant number” of alcohol-related presentations during the course of St Patrick’s Day.
    The problem of underage drinking during the festivities was highlighted by a city councillor, however, who said there were children who were “suffering from hangovers in school” yesterday morning following the parade.
    Councillor Niall McNeilis said he was alarmed at the age profile of many of the revellers that he saw drinking in the city centre on St Patrick’s Day and blamed negligent parents for the occurrence of the problem.
    “There were groups of children younger than 16 drinking on the streets on Wednesday,” he reported. “It’s such a pity to see the uptake of the drink culture by people of such a young age and it has to be asked, Where were the parents?”

Despite the spectacle of underage drinking, Councillor McNeilis said that the day had been a tremendous success, and praised performance of the Gardaí as “exceptional”.
    “An Garda Síochána maintained a presence at the Spanish Arch from early in the morning and nipped in the bud the potential for trouble posed by large groups forming,” he said. “The provision of port-a-loos also made a difference to the problem of people using the streets as a toilet as occurred last year.” A Garda spokesperson described the occasion as a “busy day for public order offences”.
    For more on this story, see Page 2 of the Galway City Tribune.

More 'racism' against the Irish ... by a girl called Mairead, shure she couldn't
    be Irish .. hic!

Drunken Mayhem on St. Pat’s Day

By Mairead Carey

Politicians are clamoring for new laws to deal with public order offenses after the traditional day of binge drinking and mayhem that is St. Patrick’s Day.

More than 700 people were arrested around the country on the national holiday. Most were arrested for being drunk and disorderly and failing to move on when requested to do so by the Gardai (police). The number of arrests was almost double that recorded last year.

In Dublin some 407 people were arrested, over half of those were held on foot of public order offenses. There were several violent incidents including assaults and fighting.

Gardai and ambulance services were also called to pick up the pieces after a fight involving tens of youths on another evening train.

Hospital Accident and Emergency departments across the capital reported a huge increase in the number of admissions. Tallaght and Beaumont hospitals in Dublin dealt with 400 patients overnight. Ambulances brought at least 50 people to hospitals with injuries after a spate of serious assaults.

A fire brigade spokesman described the situation in the early hours of the 18th as “unreal,” with violence much worse than last year.

In Cork over 60 people were arrested arising from drunk and disorderly behavior. More than 60 arrests were also made in Limerick, with seven people taken into custody after a fight broke out at a bar in the city center.

Gardai in Galway described drink-related violence at this year’s St. Patrick’s Day festival as the “worst ever” with over 50 arrests made. About a quarter of those arrested were under the age of 18.

The St. Patrick’s Day mayhem has led to politicians from across the political divide calling for new measures to tackle the problem.

Labor and Fine Gael have called for off-licenses in Dublin to be closed until 6 p.m. on public holidays including St. Patrick’s Day in a bid to cut down on excessive drinking during the day.

Fine Gael’s Dublin spokesman, Senator Brian Hayes said, “We can’t encourage people to come into town to enjoy a parade when at the same time you have people out of their heads with drink. There has to be some curtailment of the amount of drink available to people on public holidays.”

Fine Gael health spokesman Dr. Liam Twomey said that a new system for charging drunk patients for clean-ups and broken equipment was needed, particularly as the hospitals could not refuse to deal with a drunk patient or bring in a specific levy for being drunk while attending the hospital.

Fine Gael’s European Parliament Member Avril Doyle said binge drinking was one of the most urgent challenges facing European health ministers. She said the ready accessibility of alcohol must be looked at very seriously.

But while violence once again marred the festivities, hundreds of thousands of people did turn out to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day and take part in the parades and other activities organized across the country.

The biggest parade took place in Dublin, where some 700,000 people turned out in sunshine to see the event, which involved 3,000 participants and 17 international marching bands.

Almost 100,000 people in Cork turned out to watch the Parade of Dreams, a special event to celebrate the city’s title as European Capital of Culture this year.
    Find me two more such stories. Find me ten more. Find a hundred more. Do you not get it.

It doesn't matter.

The only thing that matters is proper research done on alcohol sales and consumption, nationally and internationally, not hysterical media reports from newspapers trying to fill pages.

I can't even describe how thick this conversation is in appropriate terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What exactly is meant by presentation?

Turning up at the hospital (or being taken there by guards / friends etc) and saying "Please help me". As in presenting for treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

We've got an obnoxious drinking culture here. I don't see how anyone can really argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I wonder would Galway have any problems with alcohol if you could get it everywhere and if pubs were open 24/7.
    I do not believe we drink more than other nations. you have German beer festivals where folks get sloshed, but things are supervised by private security and police.maybe its stands out in Galway because the population is so young but the city provides few alternatives.

Well it's not a problem unique to Galway.
    Our drinking culture is much more alligned with somewhere like Scotland
    They tried to introduce 24 hour drinking there and a lot of the pubs didn't go for it - I don't know whether this was cost / hassle related
    The problem is not solely the volume of booze we consume but the manner and environment in which we consume it

Statistically the French or Spanish may have similar levels of binge drinkers i.e. people who consume more than their recommended units in one sitting though technically they are binge drinking you do not find kebab shops, people on the street fighting/ flashing / puking etc.
    Certainly not with the regularity that you find it here at least

I've been out in Holland,Belgium,Germany and Spain and in any of those places if I wanted to get really wasted I'd probably look for an Irish bar.
    With the exception of Germany they don't really do pubs like what we're used to but cafe bar type establishments

As to German or more specifically Bavarian beer festivals ... I've been to Oktoberfest and the Germans have enough sense to be in some way self regulating they pace themselves and also remember to eat. Many of them brought cards with them and took breaks from drinking.

There were one or two tents with hardly any Germans in... Here the tourists though mostly good natured got absolutely sloshed
    The tourist comprised British,Aussie,Kiwi,Italian and a small number of Americans.
    Plenty of lewd behaviour, moderate puking and a few guys going around the next day with black eyes .. So I guess some fighting
    It's strong beer served in 2 litre jugs. Apart from the beer , we had cigars the only solid food we had were hotdogs so not a massive surprise it was carnage.

The tourists are the reason for the security presence at Oktoberfest really
    We have private security at every bar, cafe,shop and fast food joint and still have issues. So security / policing may serve to quash the outcomes of drinking but can't really change attitudes.

As to alternatives that is true but who should provide alternatives? People first need to seek out alternatives no business owner is going to have someing differe t if they See no money in it

Even in Dublin a number of music venues closed with the news that one place is to be turned into a giant rival to Coppers. That's so sad as these binge drinking emporiums are soulless and heartless

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Find me two more such stories. Find me ten more. Find a hundred more. Do you not get it.

It doesn't matter.

The only thing that matters is proper research done on alcohol sales and consumption, nationally and internationally, not hysterical media reports from newspapers trying to fill pages.

Trollin, Trollin , Trollin rawhide

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Laneyh wrote: »
    Trollin, Trollin , Trollin rawhide

This shouldn't be alowwed, he added more to the debate than you have!

This shouldn't be alowwed, he added more to the debate than you have!

Sorry if I offended you.. if its removed I'm ok with that
    I'm not convinced that he has added more to the debate

Or possibly I have higher standards of what constitutes debate.
    Implying people are thick simply because their opinion differs to yours is not a debate in my eyes.

Nor is requesting factual evidence to back up your opinon whilst not providing any yourself.

• Advertisement

Laneyh wrote: »
    Sorry if I offended you.. if its removed I'm ok with that
    I'm not convinced that he has added more to the debate

Or possibly I have higher standards of what constitutes debate.
    Implying people are thick simply because their opinion differs to yours is not a debate in my eyes.

Nor is requesting factual evidence to back up your opinon whilst not providing any yourself.
    Implying people are thick because they flat out deny the mountains of factual evidence already provided in the thread on the other hand is perfectly reasonable. Calling them thick to their faces would also be reasonable. There aren't many slurs on the intellect that would be unreasonable in this situation.

A bit like jumping into the last page and waving your willy around without having shown the basic respect of having read the thread, which you clearly have not...

Implying people are thick because they flat out deny the mountains of factual evidence already provided in the thread on the other hand is perfectly reasonable. Calling them thick to their faces would also be reasonable. There aren't many slurs on the intellect that would be unreasonable in this situation.

A bit like jumping into the last page and waving your willy around without having shown the basic respect of having read the thread, which you clearly have not...

I bow down to your superior reading capabilities. I'll have to pass on the willy waving though

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

It doesn't matter.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. There is only one person here making insulting remarks against other posters. I could report you to the mods, but could not be bothered.

I don't understand how journalists can be called 'hysterical' if Gardai tell them that 50 people were arrested on one day in a city as small as Galway. And they then report those Gardai accurately.

But then I and others who express concerns about heavy drinking in this country are the 'thickos' of the thread obviously. And we're obviously 'racist' against our own race, if such a thing is possible.

Anyway, if the weather's crap tomorrow we won't have to worry about all the pished up people falling around the place, puking and fighting, at 7pm. Happy Paddy's Day.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. There is only one person here making insulting remarks against other posters. I could report you to the mods, but could not be bothered.

I don't understand how journalists can be called 'hysterical' if Gardai tell them that 50 people were arrested on one day in a city as small as Galway. And they then report those Gardai accurately.

But then I and others who express concerns about heavy drinking in this country are the 'thickos' of the thread obviously. And we're obviously 'racist' against our own race, if such a thing is possible.

Anyway, if the weather's crap tomorrow we won't have to worry about all the pished up people falling around the place, puking and fighting, at 7pm. Happy Paddy's Day.
    *rubs eye sockets while making mewling noises*

Buddy, you claimed that because a bunch of Americans and other nationalities were getting drunk, the Irish were a bunch of drunks.

You even tried to link increasing suicide rates to your notion that the Irish are drunks, until it was pointed out to you that alcohol intake was dropping over the same period. That is a remarkably scummy move to make, and I hope you didn't upset anyone who has been affected by suicide.

You have a notion, and you're flailing about desperately trying to make the real world fit that notion. This is racism, and not too smart. Do yourself a favour and move on before you make any more of a show of yourself in public. Are you not even slightly ashamed.

*rubs eye sockets while making mewling noises*

Buddy, you claimed that because a bunch of Americans and other nationalities were getting drunk, the Irish were a bunch of drunks.

You even tried to link increasing suicide rates to your notion that the Irish are drunks, until it was pointed out to you that alcohol intake was dropping over the same period. That is a remarkably scummy move to make, and I hope you didn't upset anyone who has been affected by suicide.

You have a notion, and you're flailing about desperately trying to make the real world fit that notion. This is racism, and not too smart. Do yourself a favour and move on before you make any more of a show of yourself in public. Are you not even slightly ashamed.

Funny that. I never claimed that the Irish were a bunch of drunks because other nationalities got drunk. I expressed concern that Paddy's Day has conotations which are not associated with any other national holiday, both in Ireland and abroad. And that a good proportion of Irish people feel they have to get completely out of their minds to have a good time. Which is sad. If that's racism, I'm astounded.

There is a link between suicide, depression, and alcohol abuse. Alcohol is a depressant. That's not racism. Ask any Coroner in Ireland how many suicide cases are linked to alcohol abuse and it's frightening.

I'll bow to your wonderful superior knowledge of how consumption has fallen from alarmingly high levels. And I won't stoop to insulting fellow posters by using terms such as saying someone is "not too smart".

Funny that. I never claimed that the Irish were a bunch of drunks because other nationalities got drunk. I expressed concern that Paddy's Day has conotations which are not associated with any other national holiday, both in Ireland and abroad. And that a good proportion of Irish people feel they have to get completely out of their minds to have a good time. Which is sad. If that's racism, I'm astounded.

There is a link between suicide, depression, and alcohol abuse. Alcohol is a depressant. That's not racism. Ask any Coroner in Ireland how many suicide cases are linked to alcohol abuse and it's frightening.
    People can read what you wrote for themselves. Its only back a few pages. I'll even link it and quote it for you if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

People can read what you wrote for themselves. Its only back a few pages. I'll even link it and quote it for you if you like.
    You still persist with the notion that we as a nation dont have a drink problem and anyone that says we do is racist even though we too are Irish, this makes sense to you how, and you are calling into question other peoples intellect, you would seriously want to climb all the way down from the giant high horse you are on and relax and stop insulting people with every post you are making.

You still persist with the notion that we as a nation dont have a drink problem
    We as a nation don't have any more of a drink problem than anyone else. The "drunken paddy" negative stereotype is false, and perpetuating it is a racist act which will have an adverse effect on people.

Simples.

But apparently too complicated for yourself and the other individual.

We as a nation don't have any more of a drink problem than anyone else. The "drunken paddy" negative stereotype is false, and perpetuating it is a racist act which will have an adverse effect on people.

Simples.

But apparently too complicated for yourself and the other individual.
    No not at all complicated, i fully understand that we as a nation do have a problem when it comes to alcohol, unfortunately its people like you who make the problem cases worse by perpetuating your complete waffle, simples.

No not at all complicated, i fully understand that we as a nation do have a problem when it comes to alcohol, unfortunately its people like you who make the problem cases worse by perpetuating your complete waffle, simples.
    Complete waffle backed up by countless reports, careful government research and statistics compiled by health bodies that you've been making a heroic effort to ignore in the name of furthering a racist negative stereotype.

Yes, complete waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If you google Irish Drink Problem Statistics - you will get a lot of statistics, data etc that actually contradicts each other. I'm not surprised, as people can quote statistics just as easily as heresay until the cows come home, and often there is another study to contradict. That's when looking a little deeper into the variables come in.

Anyone is free to google this.

I don't think it's only two people on here who believe that we have a national 'association' with booze that we feel we need to maintain, even at the cost of health sometimes. Let's not lose the craic but know our limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i find this statement the most inaccurate and insensitive post of the whole thread.

I don't think there is one family not affected by suicide - to try and say that the victims have alcohol problems and this is the reason they commit suicide, is completely naive and inaccurate, not to mention hurtful to anybody who actually experienced suicide in their areas.

people have been getting drunk on Paddy's day since time began, you posters have also done it when you were probably underage but have some romantic view of "how good you were, compared to the kids of today" whilst knocking them back without mammy seeing you

inisboffin wrote: »
    Anyone is free to google this.
    Do feel free to google these contradictory statistics for us. If you can do better than the CSO, OECD Health Data section, DCU business department and the WHO I'd be fascinated.
    I don't think there is one family not affected by suicide - to try and say that the victims have alcohol problems and this is the reason they commit suicide, is completely naive and inaccurate, not to mention hurtful to anybody who actually experienced suicide in their areas.
    And why was he saying it?

To try and "prove" the Irish are a nation of drunks, simple natives who can't handle their firewater.

Classy stuff.

i find this statement the most inaccurate and insensitive post of the whole thread.

people have been getting drunk on Paddy's day since time began, you posters have also done it when you were probably underage but have some romantic view of "how good you were, compared to the kids of today" whilst knocking them back without mammy seeing you
    The two are linked and to say they arent is even more blind head in the sand stuff, suicide is a massive problem in this country and a lot of it is because of the stigma attached to asking for help when you are depressed, unfortunately in this country and others people with these problems can turn to drink, this doesnt mean everyone does just before the nay sayers jump on every word as always. So yes its a valid point, and Doc Ruby before you start again its not racist that there is a suicide problem here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Do feel free to google these contradictory statistics for us. If you can do better than the CSO, OECD Health Data section, DCU business department and the WHO I'd be fascinated.

I did feel free!:D

You might be fascinated, but I doubt if you would post here.

Look Doc Ruby, you have picked a particular angle to this ongoing debate of 'messiness' and beyond on Paddy's day. Fair enough. I don't agree with all of it. I will continue to use (as well as facts) my life experience as an Irish person who has lived here as well as travelled, lived abroad, read, listened etc to form my opinions.

It used to be the 'stupid Irish' stereotype (you've even referenced the literature that propagated this), which was just a slur.

Most tourists *don't* come to watch us abuse alcohol, they do come for the fun element of our culture. Unfortunately a *huge* amount of Irish people themselves associate 'craic' with alcohol. Some people are horrified at the idea of a 'non drinker' out on a night. The term 'dry sh*te' and other lovely terms are used. If we *think* we cannot have simple fun without intoxication, but worse than that, put down the choices of others, what does that say about us?

No, not all of us (who even drink) are p*ssheads, but many of who do are still responsible for enforcing the stereotype of 'drunk Irish' almost out of civic duty!

This conversation has veered away from having a few pints (if you want to!) on Paddy's day and having a bit of craic. Do remember, it is the day he died, so it's arguable that it IS a celebration of paganism after all :eek:;)

Go easy but have craic! Happy Paddy's day!

The two are linked and to say they arent is even more blind head in the sand stuff, suicide is a massive problem in this country and a lot of it is because of the stigma attached to asking for help when you are depressed, unfortunately in this country and others people with these problems can turn to drink, this doesnt mean everyone does just before the nay sayers jump on every word as always. So yes its a valid point, and Doc Ruby before you start again its not racist that there is a suicide problem here too.

try to read my post again, more accurately please.

try to read my post again, more accurately please.
    And?
    You said the previous post had been insensitive and inaccurate, i explained how it wasnt. End of really?

So you think it's ok to misquote people now ... please do put up the link to something I never said.

And?
    You said the previous post had been insensitive and inaccurate, i explained how it wasnt. End of really?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Fishy fishy,

I do not see anything wrong with this statement and completely stand over it. It does not for a second imply that ALL suicide cases are related to alcohol abuse or alcohol problems.

However, I happen to have worked with people who work in the area of suicide prevention here in Ireland, and they are convinced that alcohol abuse is a factor in people taking their own lives.

To describe the above paragraph as insensitive is absurd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement