Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day and the demon drink

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

:rolleyes:
    Excellent debating with you, well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

inisboffin wrote: »
    It used to be the 'stupid Irish' stereotype (you've even referenced the literature that propagated this), which was just a slur.
    Nope, it was drunk, stupid, generally subhuman. This was part of the "scientific racism" movement in the 19th century wherein rich people made up excuses to do horrible things to poor people. And Punch was far from the only place it was put about. Even today its a serious problem, when you have the BBC forced to apologise for its depiction of Irish people in one of the most popular soaps on telly.
    inisboffin wrote: »
    Go easy but have craic! Happy Paddy's day!
    Fully intend to, right now I'm enjoying watching these two lesser lights trying to argue their case on alcohol related suicide. I could sit here all day doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Excellent debating with you, well said.

ben if you think for one second I am going to start "debating" with you over suicide on a st patrick's day drink forum, you are sadly mistaken. It's obvious you yourself are completely insensitive to the topic of suicide, hence it being bandied around this forum, as a "result" of alcohol abuse. Educate yourself on the topic and don't throw this very serious issue around lightly. You sound worse than bertie ahearn.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Nope, it was drunk, stupid, generally subhuman. This was part of the "scientific racism" movement in the 19th century wherein rich people made up excuses to do horrible things to poor people. And Punch was far from the only place it was put about. Even today its a serious problem, when you have the BBC forced to apologise for its depiction of Irish people in one of the most popular soaps on telly.

Fully intend to, right now I'm enjoying watching these two lesser lights trying to argue their case on alcohol related suicide. I could sit here all day doing so.
    What a laughable character you are. Troll much.

ben if you think for one second I am going to start "debating" with you over suicide on a st patrick's day drink forum, you are sadly mistaken. It's obvious you yourself are completely insensitive to the topic of suicide, hence it being bandied around this forum, as a "result" of alcohol abuse. Educate yourself on the topic and don't throw this very serious issue around lightly. You sound worse than bertie ahearn.
    So its forbidden to discuss topics brought up within a thread if people are sensitive. You have already been told by the poster who initially mentioned it why they said it and i agree wholly with that persons reasoning. You are clearly a sensitive soul so maybe just dont read the thread if its too much for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Now people are just jumping at each other. What Galway angle existed isn't there anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement