Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The town getting more desperate?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

CMpunked wrote: »
    Being feckin' muppets.
    If that was actually an offence our courts would be (even more) packed!

Off topic but, read a statistic the other day that there are 3 million imprisoned in America at any one time. Out of a population of 300 million. Quite staggering when you think about it. 1 in every 100 Americans are in prison!! (1%)

In Ireland, we have about 4,500 prison spaces (including 'open prisons') which only represents 0.1% of the population. (1/1000)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Scotty # wrote: »
    If that was actually an offence our courts would be (even more) packed!

Off topic but, read a statistic the other day that there are 3 million imprisoned in America at any one time. Out of a population of 300 million. Quite staggering when you think about it. 1 in every 100 Americans are in prison!! (1%)

In Ireland, we have about 4,500 prison spaces (including 'open prisons') which only represents 0.1% of the population. (1/1000)
    You have to wonder is that a good or a bad thing though. Good as in there isn't as much crime here, or bad as in crimes are going unpunished here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

cournioni wrote: »
    You have to wonder is that a good or a bad thing though. Good as in there isn't as much crime here, or bad as in crimes are going unpunished here.

Petty crimes that could get you chucked into prison or community service in the states always seem to be suspended sentences here. So you technically can repeat that kind of crime knowing you wont get more than you got the last time.
    I would like to see what the number of criminals charged with a crime and how many of those actually go to prison or has some sort of sentence. I would say its a sad number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I'd like to think it's less crimes but I fear it's the latter :(

We have a ridiculous amount of murders in this country reduced to manslaughter. People serving 6-8 years when they should be getting life. I'm sure it's the same for other crimes whereby the DPP goes for a lesser charge to ensure a conviction. Like these two in this thread...

Stabbing a driver in the head without warning from the back seat of a car should be nothing less than attempted murder! I don't actually know what they have been charged with but I'm sure it something far less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Scotty # wrote: »
    We have a ridiculous amount of murders in this country reduced to manslaughter. People serving 6-8 years when they should be getting life. I'm sure it's the same for other crimes whereby the DPP goes for a lesser charge to ensure a conviction. Like these two in this thread...

While the issue of how few murder convictions there are in this country is a pet hate of mine our homicide rate is about 1/4 of America's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Was up enjoying the festivities yesterday and overheard that the judge in the taxi driver stabbing case had a bottle of water or something chucked at him and he was physically threatened! :eek:
    If the judicial system is being given this attitude then who is safe?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

CMpunked wrote: »
    Was up enjoying the festivities yesterday and overheard that the judge in the taxi driver stabbing case had a bottle of water or something chucked at him and he was physically threatened! :eek:
    If the judicial system is being given this attitude then who is safe?!

Well maybe now the judge will see the pure contempt these people have for society and will now impose the maximum possible sentence and ensure that it is served in full. It also indicates the limited intellect of these cretins to behave in such a manner toward someone who is going to decide on their future in relation to sentencing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

The town and county has seriously gone downhill recently. Only last night I was stood at the TSB ATM on West St. waiting my turn, a chap standing behind me minding his own business waiting in the queue also. 2 lads come walking from Peter St direction and one of them punched the chap square in the face knocking him to the ground and just kept walking. Absolutely unprovoked and uncalled for. If he had not been stood behind me, it undoubtedly would have been me on the ground.

The most annoying part though was the 2 Gardai stood at Tesco, who just stood there as they walked by them. Plenty of people had let a shout at them and there was a bit of a commotion but still nothing from the Gardai until the chap got to his feet and was walked up to the 2 Gardai by who I presume were his friends. Even then the Gardai didnt seem interested.

markc1184 wrote: »
    The town and county has seriously gone downhill recently. Only last night I was stood at the TSB ATM on West St. waiting my turn, a chap standing behind me minding his own business waiting in the queue also. 2 lads come walking from Peter St direction and one of them punched the chap square in the face knocking him to the ground and just kept walking. Absolutely unprovoked and uncalled for. If he had not been stood behind me, it undoubtedly would have been me on the ground.

The most annoying part though was the 2 Gardai stood at Tesco, who just stood there as they walked by them. Plenty of people had let a shout at them and there was a bit of a commotion but still nothing from the Gardai until the chap got to his feet and was walked up to the 2 Gardai by who I presume were his friends. Even then the Gardai didnt seem interested.

No offence, but I really find that one hard to believe.

Last night, a guy got punched in the face, in front of lots of people, including two members of the Gardaí, in a completely unprovoked attack, and nobody did anything (including the Gardaí!)...

Last night, a guy got punched in the face, in front of lots of people, including two members of the Gardaí, in a completely unprovoked attack, and nobody did anything (including the Gardaí!)...

I didnt question it KKV, albeit about 12 years ago I got a random unprovoked thump at roughly where PTSB is in Dundalk now, a Garda van was parked across the street where the chip vans were, the Garda in the driver seat wound down his window and shouted if i was ok - while still stunned i put my hand up in a kind of wave, the Garda nodded and wound his window back up!! So lets say i wouldnt be surprised:(

• Advertisement

I walked past a fight in Dundalk a few Christmas Eves ago, was still going on when I met two cops walking towards it. I stopped and told them about it, they had a glance and then followed me for a while instead, never went near their radios. I don't find it hard to believe at all.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    I didnt question it KKV, albeit about 12 years ago I got a random unprovoked thump at roughly where PTSB is in Dundalk now, a Garda van was parked across the street where the chip vans were, the Garda in the driver seat wound down his window and shouted if i was ok - while still stunned i put my hand up in a kind of wave, the Garda nodded and wound his window back up!! So lets say i wouldnt be surprised:(

At least they didn't arrest you, that's their usual tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Ah great, a good debate is descending into Garda bashing..... Why am I not surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

You stick to what you believe then and I'll stick to what I seen. I'm not bashing any Gardai, i have great respect for what they do, seeing that last night just annoyed me.

markc1184 wrote: »
    You stick to what you believe then and I'll stick to what I seen. I'm not bashing any Gardai, i have great respect for what they do, seeing that last night just annoyed me.

Well anytime I've ever seen anyone getting attacked (very rarely, I'll admit) any Garda that was ever nearby was on it fairly quickly.

Did nobody else say anything to the Gardaí? Why didn't you or anyone else go after the attacker? It's just such a strange story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

EDIT: It is worth noting, though, that the Gardai have said the attacker is someone well known to them, and they've been after him for a while. They actually seem kind of glad he's done something like this, since it means they can go after him now and try and put him away for a while.
    That must be why there are so criminals on the loose - they are waiting for them to do something really bad... :eek: :(

That must be why there are so criminals on the loose - they are waiting for them to do something really bad... :eek: :(

Thats the most accurate statement yet! If the Judiciary are are playing softball then what is the point of Gardai putting time and resources into obtaining a probationry sentence. As horrible as it might be to wait for a serious offence to occur what choice is there until the JFBs of the world treat criminals as criminals and not (always) victims of society.

Advertisement