Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concerate front garden

Options
  • 13-03-2012 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Hi if this is in the wrong place please move

My front garden is 18 foot by 11 foot. its horrible its all crab grass and we want to get it concreted over.

Im not sure if concreting or paving is cheaper, however 2 builders were due to call last week to give me quotes and never showed up.

Would anyone know what a general price would be for the measurments, any builders ive rang want to come out and see it even though i gave them the measurments on the phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is that really a gardening question? Would you get a quicker response in diy or building?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

My front garden is 18 foot by 11 foot. its horrible its all crab grass and we want to get it concreted over.

Im not sure if concreting or paving is cheaper, however 2 builders were due to call last week to give me quotes and never showed up.

Would anyone know what a general price would be for the measurments, any builders ive rang want to come out and see it even though i gave them the measurments on the phone.

Would you not re-consider your plans and avoid vandalising the environment?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

looksee wrote: »
    Is that really a gardening question? Would you get a quicker response in diy or building?

when i put concreting front garden into search this forum came up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Would you not re-consider your plans and avoid vandalising the environment?:o

what??? how is concreting my front vandalsing the enviroment??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Concrete is approx €75m3. So work out how much concrete you need I reckon you'll have to have it 4" deep. I think you'll get 10m2 @ 4" I think out of m3. Labour on top of course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

what??? how is concreting my front vandalsing the enviroment??

Because you're interfering with natural drainage and creating a sterile cap over the soil. Get somebody in to do the lawn instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

You could compromise :D

Remove the lawn
    level out
    Lay down a weed suppressing membrane (very cheap from Woddies etc)
    gravel

A lot cheaper than concrete I imagine and you still have your water being soaked up. Easier enough to do yourself as well.

You could even add a few pots for decoration or cut out a planting area or two to make it look pretty and still have a low maintenance space.

In fact this work would even if you wanted to park on it, just move the pots!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Remove the lawn
    level out
    gravel

A lot cheaper than concrete I imagine and you still have your water being soaked up. Easier enough to do yourself as well.

You could even add a few pots for decoration or cut out a planting area or two to make it look pretty and still have a low maintenance space.

Second that, except that cheap membrane is not the way to go...believe me, I have proof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Remove the lawn
    level out
    gravel

The weed fabric from the likes of Woodies and BnQ is absolute CRAP.:rolleyes:

Buy a roll of Mypex and you will not regret it,its more expensive but it will way outlast the inferior Woodies Crap.

If the lawn/garden is to be used as a driveway for parking a car,then you need planning permission for this.So a planning application has to be submitted to the county council.

And you also need to install a hardcore sub base too,so that the car would not sink into the soil below.

I hope you are fully aware of these 2 very important points,with regards using the garden/lawn for a car space..

Kilsaran Raven and Natural block pavers (60mm thick) is about 16 euro a square meter.

I wouldnt go with concrete,its horrible and breaks up badly after a few years and a harsh winter or 2.:(

I opted for pavers for my garden.I also had a professional horticulturalist/garden designer design and install nice raised garden area on both sides of the garden for me aswell.

If ever you need to get to a burst water pipe or even make a raised flower bed,then its very easy to take up block pavers,as they just sit ontop of 804 hardocre and sharp sand.

PS-If the existing front garden doesnt have a driveway,and you intend to park a car on it,in the future,then you need planning permission to use the front garden as a driveway/car parking area.

The amount of people that do this with out planning permission,and are now getting caught out by the county council inspectors over this very serious matter is unreal.

You need full planning permission to turn a front garden into a car parking area/driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

hi there to the origanal poster, seems you just wanted a simple answer to a simple question, 1900euro, done a concrete drive yesterday of that same size, thats what it cost

ymurtagh wrote: »
    hi there to the origanal poster, seems you just wanted a simple answer to a simple question, 1900euro, done a concrete drive yesterday of that same size, thats what it cost

OP, always pays to shop around, for € 1900, you're getting very close to paying for a vastly superior finish ie granite driveway. However if you prefer a more basic finish ie concrete/cobble lock driveway, you'll probably get one for c € 1,200.

You'll get what you pay for.

paddy147 wrote: »
    I wouldnt go with concrete,its horrible and breaks up badly after a few years and a harsh winter or 2.:(

I opted for pavers for my garden.I also had a professional horticulturalist/garden designer design and install nice raised garden area on both sides of the garden for me aswell.

If ever you need to get to a burst water pipe or even make a raised flower bed,then its very easy to take up block pavers,as they just sit ontop of 804 hardocre and sharp sand.

Inadequate ground preparation or insufficient sub-base will potentially undermine any finished surface. In practice cobblelock also suffer from subsidence, weed growth and demand constant maintenance. All cobble lock are manmade concrete products some trying to imitate the appearance of natural stone. Cheaper versions have basic surface dyes which with wear and tear and cleaning discoloured to become rather dull.

The presence of any utilities should not present any risks to installing any driveway, to suggest otherwise is nonsense. Although cobble lock is inexpensive and requires less skill (than superior finishes) to install, but typically manifested in poor detailing and crude finishing.

Inadequate ground preparation or insufficient sub-base will potentially undermine any finished surface. In practice cobblelock also suffer from subsidence, weed growth and demand constant maintenance. All cobble lock are manmade concrete products some trying to imitate the appearance of natural stone. Cheaper versions have basic surface dyes which with wear and tear and cleaning discoloured to become rather dull.

The presence of any utilities should not present any risks to installing any driveway, to suggest otherwise is nonsense. Although cobble lock is inexpensive and requires less skill (than superior finishes) to install, but typically manifested in poor detailing and crude finishing.

Sonnenblumen,In my case,I can assure you that my block paver driveway was done propperly.

It has not suffered from any movement or subsidence,and thats with an allmost 3 ton crewcab jeep and a 1.5 ton family car sitting on it.

No weeds comming up as it was all installed correctly with the correct sub base,weed membrane and silica sand from the word go.

I also never posted,said or suggested that the utilities present any risks.

I said that it would be "easier" to access the utility/water pipe with block pavers,than with concrete (no need for consaw and/or concrete breaker and then re-concreting)

Please READ what I posted AGAIN and not try to make something out of nothing with your false accusations and posts.

Yet again I will say this to you,you are a normal landscaper (fully qualified??...as has been asked about you before,yet you have allways failed to answer) and not a god,so why dont you cop on fast,wize up and not start this "I know everything and am better than you" carry on here "again" on this forum.

Stop trying to put other people and professionals down (yet again) with your pointless prejudgemental posts.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

Sonnenblumen, If you can tell me where you can get a front garden dug out, 10inch deep (approx 12tonne of soil and sod) remove from site, 5tonne hardcore supplied, 3 sleepers as a curb, reset pillar, mesh rebar under 5inch of concrete,,,,,all for 1200 then,,well then pm his number i'll give him a job,,,

Attention Mods please review Sonnenblumen's recent posts, abusive i would reckon,, and of no help to the original post

^^^ My post were general points about various driveway surfaces and some people are familiar with the short comings of some of these finishes including cobble lock.

True to form you're always quick to go on the attack especially when a poster offers a view which may differ to your own. What you know or not is not of any concern to me.

But, having looked at your pics of your garden (driveway??) I would say that the installer could have made more use of a spirit level. But that's probably godly high standards?:cool:

^^^ My post were general points about various driveway surfaces and some people are familiar with the short comings of some of these finishes including cobble lock.

True to form you're always quick to go on the attack especially when a poster offers a view which may differ to your own. What you know or not is not of any concern to me.

But, having looked at your pics of your garden (driveway??) I would say that the installer could have made more use of a spirit level. But that's probably godly high standards?:cool:

You really need to take those opinions and accusations of yours (poor little you being attacked by others),and apply them to YOURSELF and how you treat other members here on this forum.

Have a look at what you post and how you also post towards others on this forum.You allways like to put other people and professionals down with your arrogent and prejudgemental "I know it all" posts.
    You know some things,but you do not know it all.Far from it infact.

Are you fully qualified then or not?????

Or are you going to run off and hide,yet again?:rolleyes:

PS-Yep,no one in Ireland has a purposely sloping driveway,no one in Ireland has that.No one in Ireland has a house that is built higher up than the road/path outside

You really are some piece of work,with these stupid idiotic posts of yours.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sonnenblumen, If you can tell me where you can get a front garden dug out, 10inch deep (approx 12tonne of soil and sod) remove from site, 5tonne hardcore supplied, 3 sleepers as a curb, reset pillar, mesh rebar under 5inch of concrete,,,,,all for 1200 then,,well then pm his number i'll give him a job,,,

Attention Mods please review Sonnenblumen's recent posts, abusive i would reckon,, and of no help to the original post

Id also love to know the above too (all the work required,but for the money quoted below),seen as that hes the so called "professional" here.

OP, always pays to shop around, for € 1900, you're getting very close to paying for a vastly superior finish ie granite driveway. However if you prefer a more basic finish ie concrete/cobble lock driveway, you'll probably get one for c € 1,200.

You'll get what you pay for.

paddy147 wrote: »
    You really need to take those opinions of yours (poor little you being attacked),and apply them to YOURSELF.

Have a look at what you posts and how you post them.You allways like to put other people and professionals down with your arrogent "I know it all" posts.

Are you fully qualified then or not?????

Or are you going to run off and hide,yet again?:rolleyes:

PS-Yep,no one in Ireland has a purposely sloping driveway,no one in Ireland has that.No one in Ireland has a house that is built higher up than the road/path outside

Your really are some piece of work,with these stupid idiotic posts of yours.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yawn, but not only am I qualified, certified and indemnified, I can also spell. How about you? No forget it.

Yawn, but not only am I qualified, certified and indemnified, I can also spell. How about you? No forget it.

I love how you can insult others,but you can cowardly duck and dive direct questions that you are asked.:rolleyes:

So you can question others and other professionals,insult them and put them down....but you dont have to answer anyone else who dares to question you.That sums you up perfectly then.You keep on doing it on this forum and continue to do so with this pathetic carry on of yours.:rolleyes:

Whats your qualifications then??

You have been asked this many times before on this forum,yet you have allways failed to actually answer.

So why run off and hide and why wont you answer?Have you something to hide perhaps??

Are you also going to address posts 16 and 19 with regards to the cost of the work involved and the figure you posted??

Its about time that you stop this pittyfull carry on of yours,and actually answer peoples questions here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

YAWN!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

yep thats what I have! constant weeding and subsidence and its only 4ft wide by 6ft long. It came with the house unfortunately!

I think he chose to run off and hide (yet again) than actually answer a simple and direct question asked of him.

He likes to look down his nose at people on this forum alot,he likes to try to put other people down,and also put down their work and skills,and he talks alot of rubbish about them too.But funnily enough,he never seems to be capable of answering anyones direct questions to him,or prove/back up anything he "claims".:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Handbags at dawn folks, so thread locked. I can honestly say if you were having this discussion face to face there is no way any of ye would carry on in the same regard, but such is the effect of the internet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement