Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work rules?

Options
  • 13-03-2012 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Can anyone advise me how and when I need to inform work of my intention to take maternity leave?
    I've looked up citizens advice but I found it a bit confusing.
    I'm in a job where they pay women their normal salary for their maternity leave, and the benifit goes directly to the office.
    Can anyone share their experience of who to they appraoched or how they set this up as its a large office, and I don't really want everyone knowing my business.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

The Magpie wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me how and when I need to inform work of my intention to take maternity leave?
    I'm in a job where they pay women their normal salary for their maternity leave, and the benifit goes directly to the office.
    Can anyone share their experience of who to they appraoched or how they set this up as its a large office, and I don't really want everyone knowing my business.
    Thanks
    You need to speak to your supervisor/ manager. Or contact the hr person if you know who it is.
    You don't need to tell them straight away. I think you have to apply for mat benefit no less than 6 weeks before you are due to leave. And you have to start your mat leave 2 weeks before due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

silly wrote: »
    Thanks
    You need to speak to your supervisor/ manager. Or contact the hr person if you know who it is.
    You don't need to tell them straight away. I think you have to apply for mat benefit no less than 6 weeks before you are due to leave. And you have to start your mat leave 2 weeks before due date.
    Also, handy to know, as you are lucky enough to still get paid from work:

You may be entitled to a tax and PRSI refund if your Maternity Benefit is paid to your employer and your employer continues to pay your normal weekly wage. If this is the case, when your Maternity Benefit has finished, you can write to the Maternity Benefit Section or contact the Maternity Benefit Section online to request an MB21 Statement, which you should then forward to your tax office to get a tax refund. To get a PRSI refund, you should complete the Refund of PRSI Contributions Application Form and send it to the PRSI Refunds Section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You might need to check this as when I went off on maternity leave the last time (2010), my employer claimed my maternity benefit for me and I got paid as per usual (a little extra actually, as you don't pay tax on the benefit!) This time, however, they have changed the system again and now, I have to claim the maternity benefit myself (think it goes in to my a/c once a week), while my employer pays me the shortfall. This may just be a public service thing, but they do seem to change the system every few years.

You only have to give 6 weeks notice and it's the HR manager you need to speak to. I'm sure HR are well-used to dealing with these queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi!

Im due to take my maternity leave in August this year. I just had a chat yesterday with work who told me the procedures to follow are:

1) You have to apply in writing of any intention to take maternity leave to your employer at least 4 weeks before you plan to go.

2) You have to apply to the maternity benefit section of the social welfare for the maternity benefit at least 6 weeks before you intend to leave, so im gonna apply about 10 weeks before just to be sure!!

3) You must take at least 2 weeks before your expected due date, and at least 4 weeks after your due date

4) You must then write to your employer at least 4 weeks before you intend to return to work telling them when you expect to return.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭The Magpie

Thats a great help, thank you all:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

You might need to check this as when I went off on maternity leave the last time (2010), my employer claimed my maternity benefit for me and I got paid as per usual (a little extra actually, as you don't pay tax on the benefit!) This time, however, they have changed the system again and now, I have to claim the maternity benefit myself (think it goes in to my a/c once a week), while my employer pays me the shortfall. This may just be a public service thing, but they do seem to change the system every few years.

You only have to give 6 weeks notice and it's the HR manager you need to speak to. I'm sure HR are well-used to dealing with these queries.

My job is the same as implausable. I will get my mat leave money every Monday and will get paid the shortfall from my job every two weeks. I also had to give a copy of my maternity leave acceptance form with the amount they will be paying me to my employer.
    silly wrote: »
    Also, handy to know, as you are lucky enough to still get paid from work:

You may be entitled to a tax and PRSI refund if your Maternity Benefit is paid to your employer and your employer continues to pay your normal weekly wage. If this is the case, when your Maternity Benefit has finished, you can write to the Maternity Benefit Section or contact the Maternity Benefit Section online to request an MB21 Statement, which you should then forward to your tax office to get a tax refund. To get a PRSI refund, you should complete the Refund of PRSI Contributions Application Form and send it to the PRSI Refunds Section.

Can you claim for that even if they pay the shortfall of the mat benefit?? Every little counts :)

Just to add, although you do only have to tell them four weeks before you are due to go on maternity leave, it is in your best interest to tell your manager that you are pregnant as early as possible for health and safety reasons.

I also get full maternity pay from my employer but I claim the benefit and the difference is paid to me monthly on the same day as I would normally get paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It would also be a courtesy to tell your manager that you will be absent so he/she can get the ball rolling on a temporary replacement for you. Most large offices are short staffed these days due to cutbacks and he may need to fight for a replacement. The more notice he has the better.

Advertisement