Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Limerick need a new nightclub/late bar?Sick of Nancys,Icon,Flannerys

• 13-03-2012 10:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Was out Friday night
    Seems the only places with a bit of life were Icon and Nancys(mixed group)

Was in the Office always thought it was a late bar but the barman told us only on certain nights and its changes

Does Limerick need a new nightclub/late bar?

Any other late bar options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

No...limerick needs employment. A new nightclub/bar is useless without people to fill it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Suppose thats the main thing really

Hoping the rumours of Mickeys going into a alate bar are true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

As cool as it would be, I don't think it would be feasible. Limericks nightlife wouldn't be able to support another late bar if the current ones are touch-and-go. Also, it's a lot busier out during the college year for those particular bars than summertime. If there was another competitor, I reckon it would do more harm than good during the "quieter" times of the year.
    It's been a while since I've attended anywhere other than The Blind Pig, Dolans and the Office though, so I might be a bit off. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Must try the Blind Pig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Mickeys and Bourkes are brilliant, if they were later I'd never leave! The Pig is also amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I dont think it's the lack of niteclubs, I think it's the lack of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Left limerick a year ago and returning this May (all going well). I missed the nightlife there to be honest, smiths/icon is a great spot on weekends, at least it was in yonder years.

Heard good things about the blind pig, caters for like 50 people or something, intimate ;) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Once there are more jobs here, then maybe another late bar will work. Nancys seems to be busy all the time.
    Funnily enough, even though times are bad, there's a nice selection of boozers around Limerick now, compared to 10 yrs ago. Well, I think so anyways.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, even though times are bad, there's a nice selection of boozers around Limerick now, compared to 10 yrs ago. Well, I think so anyways.

What's that new(enough) place, The office like? Will always remind me of teh TV show :P

Worth checking out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Left limerick a year ago and returning this May (all going well). I missed the nightlife there to be honest, smiths/icon is a great spot on weekends, at least it was in yonder years.

Heard good things about the blind pig, caters for like 50 people or something, intimate ;) :pac:

The Pig is class dave, come along! ;)
    What's that new(enough) place, The office like? Will always remind me of teh TV show :P

Worth checking out?

Good little drinkin' hole. A few buddies regularly hold gigs there. Hopping little spot during the week when there's music going.

• Advertisement

Missing Limerick like mad, least there is usually almost always (:pac:) something to do each evening. F*ck Nenagh :rolleyes:

Office is good for original and covers music, always a crowd around there. Blind Pig is good for heavy rock/metal, and shur we all need a night of that from time to time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Friday night in the city is like a ghost town these days. Even Saturday night is quieter these days unless you go to one of the default places.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

+1

I am led to believe Angel Lane wasn't even open Friday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The office is not too bad on a Friday or Saturday night. Usually busy enough as it has easy access to the cattle mart.

Sick of Nancy's, Icon, Flannerys? Youre not the only one! There is much better pubs/clubs to go in Limerick. The Blind Pig, The locke, Flannerys on catherine street, Bourkes on thursday nights, Mickey Martins, The wicked chicken, Tom Collins, The office bar etc.

Costellos and Bakers are grand to finish the night off. Much better than the ****e that you have to listen to in the icon.I went to the icon with a few mates lately and the music was absolutely chronic there. Not to mention its 12 euro admission. Absolute rip off. Angel Lane is just as bad.

DOn't forget Aubars, not great but have to give it a mention :P

Anyone who pays €12 into a cattle mart needs their head examined, but if there are enough people foolish enough to pay it, then more power to those who charge it...............

seachto7 wrote: »
    Anyone who pays €12 into a cattle mart needs their head examined, but if there are enough people foolish enough to pay it, then more power to those who charge it...............

I don't go to these cattlemarts and when I do, its comps ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Town is dead before 11pm on most Saturdays, so late licences wouldn't be a bad idea, though places have to charge for them as they cost a pretty penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Town is dead before 11pm on most Saturdays, so late licences wouldn't be a bad idea, though places have to charge for them as they cost a pretty penny.

That's the supermarkets fault. Tackle below cost selling first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I think there were many factors involved, one being the smoking ban (being a non-smoker I can even see the throngs of people outside bars, it is a good thing I now come home with clean smelling clothes, but the smokers don't go out to stand outside).
    Also ridiculous pricing on even non-alcoholic drinks (I don't drink alcohol so can't judge on the price of that, but I get charged between €2.25 and €2.80 for a small bottle of coke, it's crazy).
    Also drink driving laws (which is a good thing), so those were used to go out for one after work don't bother, plus as I already said the cost of non-alcoholic drinks is crazy so the designated driver won't bother taking people in until later. Also, there is very little to do in the city between 5pm - 11pm, so less people want to go out causing a vicious circle.

I am not a fan of everywhere closing at the same time, that usually leads to people getting sh!tfaced at last orders and falling onto a crowded street, it's bound to get messy.

I'm not sure if any of that was on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Beer Baron wrote: »
    That's the supermarkets fault. Tackle below cost selling first.

Eliminating cheaper competition will not bring people or business back into pubs. If people cannot afford to pay publican prices and cannot buy beer cheaper in a supermarket then the black economy will flurish or they will give it up altogether imo.

I know a good few people who simply do not drink anymore because it's a luxury they cannot afford. Removing competition from supermarkets will not reverse that.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Seamus B

A lot of pubs are over 20's and over 23s'. I am 23 and most of my friends are younger than me. We try to get into many pubs but get turned away at the door. Even people who are a couple of months away from the age get turned away, it has happened several times and there is nothing worse when you get rejected. Policys like that can close a place. Iv seen it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Policies of leaving anyone in can close a place even faster.
    Cough *Cornmarket*

What places have closed as result of those policies?
    Not that there are many places for a poor 18 year old to go on a sat night lately...

Back for the OPs question, as I've kinda said before and as others have mentioned here on this thread there are loads of places other than the big 4 (or 5) which dont even register on the radars of most Limerick socialites. Manys a friend I've dragged up to Costelloes, and their reaction is "its not actually full of weirdos at all..." What do they expect? a circus??:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I can't believe there are so few clubs in Limerick now. When I was 16-23 there were so many choices. Counting back I frequented about 13-15 clubs in those 7 years. They weren't all open at the same time and different places had different aged crowds, but you always had a choice between 3 or 4 different places no matter what age you were.

Featherys, Cheers, whatever The George was calling itself, Docs, The Market, The Pery, The Works, Termites, The Globe, Teds, Bakers, Costellos, Kilmurray and The Icon.

Advertisement