Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC in the fairgreen portlaoise

• 13-03-2012 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hey folks UPC and intergrated communications started work in my estate before Christmas and today is the fifth time they've been working around hear laying cables opening man holes and all that jazz ,
    Would anyone have an idea of the time frame it takes untill I'll be able to get UPC.
    Hopefully there not just running cables through the estate to another one .

And as a gamer what package would be best for me I heard the Cisco Reuters they supply aren't great for nat settings an all that but mine will be wired to the Xbox if that makes any difference I don't know .

Currently with magnet and they've dropped me down to 8mb because my adsl line is only capable of that .
    Was on the magnet bolt and because my line was only capable of 8 I never experienced the wow factor magnet promised .
    Any way just pro,s and cons of UPC on Xbox and an idea of how long it takes when you see the UPC lads working around the area .

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Hey folks UPC and intergrated communications started work in my estate before Christmas and today is the fifth time they've been working around hear laying cables opening man holes and all that jazz ,
    Would anyone have an idea of the time frame it takes untill I'll be able to get UPC.
    Hopefully there not just running cables through the estate to another one .

And as a gamer what package would be best for me I heard the Cisco Reuters they supply aren't great for nat settings an all that but mine will be wired to the Xbox if that makes any difference I don't know .

Currently with magnet and they've dropped me down to 8mb because my adsl line is only capable of that .
    Was on the magnet bolt and because my line was only capable of 8 I never experienced the wow factor magnet promised .
    Any way just pro,s and cons of UPC on Xbox and an idea of how long it takes when you see the UPC lads working around the area .

Thanks in advance

Generally it takes around 3 months before they are finished and can take a little longer depending if they run into any issues at all and the size of your estate. Any package will work great for gaming, the good thing is that you will have the new lines which means pings will be great. At least they were for me when they installed the new lines, Although they were pretty good before hand aswell.

Either way, the 25Mb package will be good for gaming and pretty cheap compared to other ISPS. To me though. The 100MB is great for the money. Combats nearly every package out there at the same price and is normally around 10x faster. You should get a letter in the door when they are finished or you can just ring UPC and ask them for a time scale on when they will be finished. They normally have a fair idea on how long it will take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Cheers Thor , thanks for the info mate .
    UPC wouldn't give me any time line or info .
    Might be here in time for ghost recon future soldier then .
    This thread can be closed or I'll up date it when i get the leaflet in the door so other folks that see them working have an idea of how long it takes .
    They started before christmass and have been here 4 other times since then .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

UPC are laying fibre in the Fairgreen. They are connecting back into Magnets comms room at the back of the Euro~Spar. It will be proper Fibre to the Home UPC will be offering, and not the traditional Cable.

UPC are laying fibre in the Fairgreen. They are connecting back into Magnets comms room at the back of the Euro~Spar. It will be proper Fibre to the Home UPC will be offering, and not the traditional Cable.

Nice one paddy so if it's fiber does it matter about how close to the exchange and is that where the exchange is behind the euro spar ??

Nice one paddy so if it's fiber does it matter about how close to the exchange and is that where the exchange is behind the euro spar ??
    No, it does not matter with distance using fibre as in the speed does not deteriorate with length. It is not an exchange behind EuroSpar, but rather a comms room. I have a pic of the inside of it somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is the estate ducted right into the home Paddy or will they have to go overground in parts?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Is the estate ducted right into the home Paddy or will they have to go overground in parts?

Fairgreen was built in 2 phases, 1 and 2.

Phase 1 was the first to be done, none of these homes had FTTH installed,ducting is there to the kerb. Phase 2 has fibres right to the home alright including all the office blocks at Gandon Court.

it is UPC whom are running fibres from Magnets comms room out to phase 1.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Phase 1 was the first to be done, none of these homes had FTTH installed,ducting is there to the kerb. Phase 2 has fibres right to the home alright including all the office blocks at Gandon Court.

Has anyone in phase 1 got fibre with magnet or smart , I remember calling smart and they said I couldn't get the fibre but my neighbour could .
    I hope this won't affect me with UPC I'm in Higgins park .

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Hi Paddy,
    Are you sure it's fibre right into the home itself?

Thanks

Just did a address checker for clonroosk abbey and they tick all the boxes phone / tv/ broadband .
    Shouldn't be much longer as there only behind Higgins park and Carmody way
    (phase1 )

• Advertisement

Just signed up today 50mb tv and phone half price for two months bye bye magnet

Advertisement