Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless Range Extender

Options
  • 13-03-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey,

I've searched the forums for an answer to my question but the default response is make an access point using cable, which I cannot do. Also most of the threads are older.

Got a new room recently and my bedroom is a long way from router, need to make some sort of a wireless range extender. I know the throughout will be halved but our connection is (up to) 50MB so I ought to be ok.

Basically, I need to buy a router in Dublin ASAP that would do what I need. I've tried some second hand models and nothing. Anyone know if UPC or Eircom can sell/give those kind of modems, or does anyone know of any shops which would sell em. I've checked Argos but their modems don't seem compatible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

or if you wanted to be fancy http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9050570/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWERLINE.htm does the job too - but you'll need a patch cable to your laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icianom

Cheers James, was hoping for something on the cheaper side but at least there's an option now. If anyone has a cheaper alternative let me know, otherwise I'll be getting that 70 euro one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd go with a homeplugs option if it were me. Although your connection is 50mbit, your wifi will only be fit for about half that at best (wireless "g" somewhere mid 20's), then halve it again when you add a range extender. It's not just the halving of the throughput, range extenders add lots of latency, they really are a terrible option. Wifi is poor, it is half duplex, which means it will only talk in one direction at a time to one device at a time. With homeplugs you will not affect the speed of the wifi (other than adding a few miliseconds latency) as it connects to your original router over your electrical cabling

Wow, I had never heard of homeplugs. Seems like the best option by far.

So if I got the homeplugs I could ethernet from the main router to the homeplug #1, and then in my bedroom, ethernet to a router in my room and broadcast that?

• Advertisement

Anyone know a store in Dublin which does them?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

Hi,

with homeplugs (http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331634756&sr=8-1) I dont think that it will extend your wireless range, do you need a second router at the endpoint or do you plug in an ethernet cable.

would having a second router cause any problems with the existing wireless UPC router.

Has anyone here actually used this system before?

Thanks,
    Jacko

If I were to use homeplugs I could create a second network with a spare router I have. Would that be possible?

Advertisement