Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

curry for 12

Options
  • 13-03-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

hey guys having a bit of a family get together on sunday so i got awarded the much sought after job of cooking the meal:(, so looking for some ideas and help.
    there is probably going to be about 12ish adults there will be kids also but i thing they are happy with a selection of goujons,homemade pizzas, sausages and chips so thats them sorted.
    i was thinking of going with a curry of some kind, something with medium heat ie. above a korma and below a madras. something that has to be simmered rather than stirfryed for ease of cooking, i was thinking of a balti or a masala but iam open to suggestions. i will also need a recipe and what quantities i should be using for 12 adults. also if someone has an idea for a simple starter that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

If you're wanting to impress then how about a Thai Curry.

Here's one that Curry Addict posted. I've tried it and received praise for the results.

How about a soup starter. I can give you an easy butternut squash soup recipe that I make in half an hour for 4 to 6 servings. It is deliciously creamy with a hint of sweetness.

If you're doing dessert then vanilla ice cream and Mars Bar chocolate sauce is quick and easy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

If you are doing food for 12 - why not cook 2 curries that feed 6? I did a curry night on Xmas eve for 8 people and cooked a Lamb Karhai and a Tandoori chicken.

You could cook a big pot of curry and maybe 2 tandoori chickens?

The chicken is simple. You'll need to marinade the night before. Pull all the skin off the chicken and slash the breast, legs and thighs with a knife in 1cm intervals. Rub all over with half a lemon.

For 1 chicken, mix half a tbsp each of crushed garlic and ginger together with a tbsp of paprika and a tsp of ground cinnamon, a tsp pf ground cumin, a pinch of ground cloves and a 1/4 tsp of chilli powder. You can add a few drops of red food colouring if you want to give it that familiar colour. Finally stir in 200ml natural yoghurt. Rub this all over the chicken. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight. It will now only need to be roasted in a hot oven for about an hour and 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd go for a simple thai red or green curry.

12 portions of chicken, breast and thai meat, diced or shredded
    A tub of MaePloy gree or red curry paste
    4 cans of coconut milk
    4 onions, chopped
    A bag Green beans chopped into small pieces
    2 green/red peppers (green for green curry, red in the red. It's a colour thing, not taste)

Make it in two batches

Heat 3 teaspoons of paste in some oil, don't let it burn, just enough to release the flavour. Pour in one can of coconut milk. Mix the curry through.
    Brown the chicken lightly in a pan. Add half onions and peppers.
    Pour curry sauce on top of chicken. Taste the sauce. Add another tin of coconut milk. (add more paste with 2nd tin if needed). Leave to simmer.
    Steam or boil the green beans.

Mix soften green beans through the curry.

Repeat with batch 2. Adjust the paste used to get to overall curry as you want it.

Serve with rice. Obviously

Taste the curry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cooking 2 of them could allow you to do different recipes, one mild, one hotter, even if it was the same basic recipe and 1 just having a bit more of the hot spices in it. Then let people decide, I expect many will want a bit of both on the same plate, if the hot side is too much you just stir it all in.

I like hot curries but would want to try both. We often have takeaways with the family and everybody likes trying each others different stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    Cooking 2 of them could allow you to do different recipes, one mild, one hotter, even if it was the same basic recipe and 1 just having a bit more of the hot spices in it. Then let people decide, I expect many will want a bit of both on the same plate, if the hot side is too much you just stir it all in.

I like hot curries but would want to try both. We often have takeaways with the family and everybody likes trying each others different stuff.
    Yeah that works with my recipe too. Make one very mild, 25g paste to 2 cans milk. And one quite hot 100g to 2 cans. People can adjust to taste.

Or you could do complete different curries. Like a Korma and a thai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

for a starter if you're sticking with the indian theme you could do tandoori prawns and/or chicken. You can get tandoori masala in any asian grocery, mix it with yogurt and lemon juice and salt and marinade the raw ingredients overnight(keeping prawns and chicken in separate containers obviously!!). Then you just bake them in a hot oven and serve with a salad and maybe some mango chutney.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    for a starter if you're sticking with the indian theme you could do tandoori prawns and/or chicken. You can get tandoori masala in any asian grocery, mix it with yogurt and lemon juice and salt and marinade the raw ingredients overnight(keeping prawns and chicken in separate containers obviously!!). Then you just bake them in a hot oven and serve with a salad and maybe some mango chutney.

Is it just me, or is it getting hungry in this thread?

That sounds absolutely divine.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

thanks for the reply's lads, but i eventually went with the tikka massala that curry addict posted in this thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77660644&posted=1#post77660644

i would advice anybody to try it, it was a great success and praise was heaped upon me actually it was so good i had to cook more chicken to mix in with the leftover sauce so people could go back for more:eek:

Advertisement