Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Z68: Having OS on Accelerated HD

Options
  • 13-03-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

It is at all possible to run a repair install on an OS that's installed on an accelerated drive on a Z68 motherboard?

My system was previously as follows:

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 (B3)
    Intel Core i5-2500K
    Be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced Cooler
    8GB-Kit (2 x 4GB) G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-12800U CL9
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 60GB (Cache)
    Palit GTX 560Ti 1GB
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Corsair TX750 750W PSU

Originally, my OS was installed on a physical HD (lets call this Drive1), accelerated using Intel SRT using the 60GB SSD (Drive2).

However, one day my system was blue-screening on boot (would boot into safe mode fine). I tried removing startup programs without success. Finally, I tried to do a repair install. However, the OS would not show up, even when I loaded the RAID drivers from the motherboard CD.

--

After messing around for a while, I finally just decided to upgrade, buy a new OCZ Petrol SSD 128GB, and perform a brand new OS install on that (not cached). Once I'd done that, I then added Drive1 and Drive2 to the system in order to access files from Drive1. But while the HD showed up in the bios, it wouldn't mount and show up in Windows Explorer.

I installed my motherboard CD's version of the Intel SRT drivers. After that, Drive1 and Drive2 did show up in the SRT utility, but were still inaccessible.

Only after I'll installed the latest copy of the SRT drivers could I access Drive1. In fact, once I installed those drivers, Drive1 was automatically accelerated using Drive2, which is strange as I'd (a) done a completely new install and (b) cleared my CMOS BIOS settings.

If Drive1 is accessible only once Intel SRT is running successfully, does that mean that doing a repair install from the OS DVD is impossible? In which case, it's definitely not advisable to have your OS running on an accelerated drive? Or am I missing something here?

P.

Advertisement