Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balls on river Lee

Options
  • 13-03-2012 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Does anybody know what the line of balls on the river beside Patrick's bridge are for?They appear to be holding up a net.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Its a drag line put in by the contractor working on the Opera House bridge upstream. It's intended to prevent any worker that falls into the river from being swept away. Excellent thread title btw.

alanucc wrote: »
    .............It's intended to prevent any worker that falls into the river from being swept away. Excellent thread title btw.

Would they not use harnesses if there is a risk of falling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

I'd be surprised if it didn't have some other purpose.. wouldn't need to be swept away to drown:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its for catching the mullet for the free mullet pies the city is giving to tourist this patricks day.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cant wait for my free mullet.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRN46YHB2R47lHhMHYYO0bQ4dkQPWe-7gRuw6AsXwFNSeoipLtzQ
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

as well as being a safety line, it catches any stuff they drop into the river.

the workers have harnesses and there's a rescue boat on site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Pertty sure it's to stop boats from going under the bridge during the works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Or maybe its to stop fish from entering the work area due to health and safety regulations.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Is this not how pocket fish are harvested?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

I was wondering myself was it to stop anybody who drowned in the river from being swept out to sea and therby being more likely to be found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It is a grab line - as said, to stop any construction fallers being swept away.

It does not stop boats going up the river. A boat without an engine can get over it - I've done it lots of times.

There is no net under it - it's just a rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the aforementioned balls.

6840789210_2b313ff19e_z.jpg
    2012-03-16 09.20.29 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Whats the betting the some gonk thats off his face will jump in and try hauling himself across to the other side over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

What work is being carried out here?

And also off topic, why do we have "Toyota" branded around the top of the opera house? Whats its relavance and why is it still there after all these years?

Edit: and what even is that top part of the building for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Typewriter wrote: »
    What work is being carried out here?

And also off topic, why do we have "Toyota" branded around the top of the opera house? Whats its relavance and why is it still there after all these years?

Edit: and what even is that top part of the building for?
    Toyota are Opera House sponsors.
    The box type structure is where backdrops/scenery are stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

I see. Maybe they should change it to "Toyota supporting the arts" its a bit confusing as it makes the place look like a toyota office building.

What work are they doing down there?

Advertisement