Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Switch to UPC

• 13-03-2012 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find a thread. I've been with Vodafone for the past few years without too many problems, however on most speed tests I'm only getting about 6.5 download speed, paying €45 per month for phone & bb.

UPC have recently put bb in place in our estate and I was going to switch to their 25mb package. I've had issues with them before regarding the TV and I'm wary about dealing with them again, but I just wonder is it worth the risk.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The broadband is quite reliable I find! TV service and set top boxes are still a bit of a mixed bag from what I hear. Better than in NTL days. You can still use Sky for TV and get UPC for broadband and phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

UPC broadband is fantastic, I have the 25mb + phone. I wouldn't go back to that slow DSL crap ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

I find the service great to what i used to get from eircom (admitidely that was 8 years ago) I have the 25mb bb, tv package and phone all for 71 euro a month with 100 free minutes to any network.....when ever i have a problem, it has been sorted really quickly and the i find the problem solving staff great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

UPC win hands down when it comes to broadband, I say switch to upc bb and get tv from sky/fta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thumbs up for UPC BB - 25 Mb service is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

no question - get upc broadband. its faster and more reliable than pretty much anything out there. its also better value imo.

the one downside is that their customer service is awful. absolutely awful. i dont know if its staff not caring, poor training or staff just not given the tools to help - but its awful.

pros outweigh cons for me though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I recommend that everyone uses UPC for BB where possible.

I've had one or 2 problems at the start with them, but 3 years without any problems now.
    I've had a few free upgrades along the way as well.

I should also say that the problems I had were caught pretty quickly and resolved quicky, I dont think I've gone without fullservice for more that a couple of hours. And intermitant service for less than 24 hours until an engineer could come onsite.

Other people I know who have UPC have no complaints. Thier free support gets a bit of stick, but if you are patient with the support people they do actually help. They tend to go through very basic stuff, basically ticking off all the things that could be wrong from machine to modem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

UPC broadband is awesome. If you can get it, get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

UPC is better than anything else offered in this country (sad statement in itself) and it is reliable and cheap enough.

Downside is their customer service and the fact that these days you are stuck using their ****ty routers unless you have some know-how with routers.

Easy enough to set up too. Go for it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Noxin wrote: »
    UPC is better than anything else offered in this country (sad statement in itself) and it is reliable and cheap enough.

Downside is their customer service and the fact that these days you are stuck using their ****ty routers unless you have some know-how with routers.

Easy enough to set up too. Go for it imo.
    you pretty much covered it in a nutshell there. :)

great broadband, sh1tty routers and terrible customer service.

BUT, if you want the best broadband, for the most part UPC is one of the few real players in town for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 meagherphilip

So I use iCloud to back up my devices, iPhone, iPad and so on. Over the last two days my broadband has slowed to a crawl.

I phoned them to ask why. First guy was fine, though he got the information wrong. The second person that I was talking made sense, but then as we were talking when it came 9pm (the time customer care closes), I got cut off.

My problem is that on the 30mb line (now 25mb) you get 30gb download and 3 upload. I have used 2.5 of my upload so the service has slowed to a crawl.

I have had a look through the conditions on the site and it says 500gb limit. On the phone I was told the 30gb. That isn't much really.

Make sure before you buy what you are getting. I have to wait till the next bill for normal service to be restored. That is 14 days of really, really (can't stream NetFlix) service.

UPC - I am not happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

My problem is that on the 30mb line (now 25mb) you get 30gb download and 3 upload. I have used 2.5 of my upload so the service has slowed to a crawl.

Well that sounds like pure BS from customer services. It's either congestion or a fault on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Bluesteel7

Used to work for UPC. broadband is great other than that id stay away from thier TV. they don't compare to SKY

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So I use iCloud to back up my devices, iPhone, iPad and so on. Over the last two days my broadband has slowed to a crawl.

I phoned them to ask why. First guy was fine, though he got the information wrong. The second person that I was talking made sense, but then as we were talking when it came 9pm (the time customer care closes), I got cut off.

I have had a look through the conditions on the site and it says 500gb limit. On the phone I was told the 30gb. That isn't much really.

Make sure before you buy what you are getting. I have to wait till the next bill for normal service to be restored. That is 14 days of really, really (can't stream NetFlix) service.

UPC - I am not happy.

I think he meant that your speed is 30Mb up and 3Mb down not what your transfer limit is. What exactly is slow? Is it uploading files to iCloud or your internet usage? If you are uploading a lot of files then this could be affecting your internet speed for browsing and downloading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

brian076 wrote: »
    Should I switch to UPC?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Keith186

Go for it. Never thought I'd recommend them but they've improved a lot since the rebranding.

Customer Service are actually alright these days.

TV is fine, not as good as Sky but havent had any serious issues.

Advertisement