Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Whistle

• 13-03-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Has anyone used a dog whistle to train their dog. I have a young dog who
    seems very smart and want to see how much i can train him, beyond the usual commands.
    I am thinking of getting one of those whistles, how have people found them to train, are they useful?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Definitely - I use one for recall as a backup or say at the beach where its windy and my voice doesn't carry - always snaps him out of whatever he's up to. He's run to other people with whistles a few times and sat for his treat lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Qui

These are quite effective. A note of caution though, dog whistles come in different frequencies or pitches. The dog recognises the particular pitch of your dog whistle so if someone else nearby has the same the dog thinks its his whistle. In my case this almost led to a very nasty accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

tk123 wrote: »
    Definitely - I use one for recall as a backup or say at the beach where its windy and my voice doesn't carry - always snaps him out of whatever he's up to. He's run to other people with whistles a few times and sat for his treat lol :pac:

What type of one do you have, and where did you buy it. Looking into the same thing myself for my lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

RubyGirl wrote: »

What type of one do you have, and where did you buy it. Looking into the same thing myself for my lady.

It's an acme one I got on eBay - the type stamped on the back is 210.5. My friend uses a big plastic one she got in a christmas cracker - there's an aliens face on one side of it lol!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭Archeron

Hi all,
    Does anyone know if these can be used for older dogs training too? My setter is 9 now, and has gotten into an awful habit of barking really early in the morning, which then causes the springer to join in. I'm looking for any ideas on how to snap him out of this.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement