Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Heard one big rumble from this shower as it passed an hour ago.

Lookin at how it grew on the radar i'm surprised i didnt hear more.

201159.jpg

201161.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Still yet to catch any storms here in Cork. A few hail showers and some impressive towering clouds about. Caught a nice snap of a system moving past the east of the city about 2 hours ago.

P1000958.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

funny how similar the cells near me look so similar to yesterday ha :)

Could go thundery in the next half hour for those in the lucan region again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

wow!! fantastic cumulonimbus southwest, west and northwest of Dublin.
    best I've seen so far this year.

wow!! fantastic cumulonimbus southwest, west and northwest of Dublin.
    best I've seen so far this year.

we are looking at the same ones so ha :)... im in finglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Greater Dublin region would have done well had these moved this far east 2 hours ago, but the heat is dying and the CBs will start decaying very soon.

BOOM! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I nearly gave up! Showers to my north - showers to my south - showers to my west but nothing here. :mad:

Finally showers have arrived! No thunder though (yet).

One or two cells breeding to my north and northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭thomasj

Hailstones reported in the Dublin 15 area although no thunder yet

• Advertisement

We got THUNDERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

We got THUNDERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

i heard that one! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

3 loud thunderclaps here in Ark low in last 5 mins

Very large hail.
    Could here it hitting roof of shed 200mtrs away before it hailed here :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some people have all the luck. :mad:

Shower divided here with heaviest bits passing to the north and south of me!!! :rolleyes:

2 more claps

blackius wrote: »
    2 more claps

Can see your little storm on radar - popped up out of nowhere - obviously Wicklow Mtn influence.

A few more showers still seem to be building to the NW of Dublin.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    2 more claps

Can see your little storm on radar - popped up out of nowhere - obviously Wicklow Mtn influence.

A few more showers still seem to be building to the NW of Dublin.
    yeah its out to sea now rumbling but there's a trail of precip connected to it over lug following.
    Its connected by a dark vein about 10 miles
    wide.
    More hail now from under the vein

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

About time can we have some more please...

Cell off arklow is getting bigger and back building inland now...its gone into reverse and is returning lol

• Advertisement

Cell off arklow is getting bigger and back building inland now...its gone into reverse and is returning lol

Looks similar on Radar grab to what the radar looked like for the waterspout the other morning.

Interesting shower to my north on radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I took a flight out over Co. Meath this evening and counted 5 separate showers in view at one stage. Airliners on frequency were requesting turns to avoid these showers. It was nice flying around and between them, a bit like walking in a forest with huge towering trees either side. Didn't have my camera with me so missed out on a nice photo opportunity. :mad:

A few sferics were picked up in Dublin and east Meath earlier. Glad I landed when I did! Nothing in the Dublin or Casement reports though.

trans.pngtrans.png
    201198.PNG

Su Campu wrote: »
    A few sferics were picked up in Dublin and east Meath earlier. Glad I landed when I did! Nothing in the Dublin or Casement reports though.

That one to south Dublin is from the shower that escaped to the south of me earlier.

*shakes fist (at sky)*

Very nice day indeed, 2 nice rumbles , but one strike i saw the flash but to my left! :( ... Definitely hit in the blanch area , CB according to one of the pilots on the ATC radio ha :)

So Heres some of my photos , keeping to the new guidelines ..

Decent Anvil with a , small wall cloud at the base... no sign of rotation though just so yas know ha.

201212.jpg

Man "cooling" down after a long day.
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7264/6948152904_5eb8ef57a3.jpg

Poodle ... :rolleyes:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7196/7094214083_732c93efe1.jpg

And the rest including hi -res here . :)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41948286@N02/?saved=1

I took a flight out over Co. Meath this evening and counted 5 separate showers in view at one stage. Airliners on frequency were requesting turns to avoid these showers. It was nice flying around and between them, a bit like walking in a forest with huge towering trees either side. Didn't have my camera with me so missed out on a nice photo opportunity. :mad:

Where abouts do you take off from Su? ... did any of the anvils have overshooting tops from ur view?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif
    This is what I felt like doing today. Absolutely zilch here apart from a few drops. The most annoying thing is my parents back in Meath have taken a battering over the last few days.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Where abouts do you take off from Su? ... did any of the anvils have overshooting tops from ur view?

From Weston. I only went to 2,000 ft, around 500 ft below cloud base, so no chance of seeing any overshooting tops from that angle!!

From Weston. I only went to 2,000 ft, around 500 ft below cloud base, so no chance of seeing any overshooting tops from that angle!!

hmmmm i forgot about that.... technicality ha :rolleyes:

Onwards to 2moro! :D

• Advertisement

Yes, tomorrow could be the best day of the week, especially in the south.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement