Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A heavy shower of rain and hail just passed through Waterford City but no Thunder or Lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Cell over Maynooth looks pretty sweet from here... not exactly photogenic as its just a dark mass of cloud . Would love to see the first proper lightning spark of the year from it though chances are decaying now :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I saw that myself (from blanchardstown) and took a few pics, it looked like there could be something interesting brewing alright, I came on here to see!

tis dying now... ah well... onto 2moro :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Bugger all here - as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pangea wrote: »

Seriously... if someone mentions "MINI tornado " once more i think im gonna snap...

Great shot though, certainly looks to be down nearly all the way.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Seriously... if someone mentions "MINI tornado " once more i think im gonna snap...

Whats the correct term, funnel cloud is it?
    And do these bad boys pack any power, could it gather up stuff and spit it out?

Remember there was a mini tornado (SORRY :P) in Co.Derry or somewhere a year or 2 ago took roof of a shed, was that a mini tornado or funnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Still with the roll eyes eh.

Theres no need to wet your knickers over it.

Not everyone is an expert.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Still with the roll eyes eh.

Theres no need to wet your knickers over it.

Not everyone is an expert.

Eh Sorry , last time check it wasnt against the rules to use icons.
    For this post the *rolls eyes* would refer to the funnel being nearly down to the ground but never touching , just our luck from not being able to call it a tornado.

ANd there no such thing as a mini tornado. Weak yes... but mini... no. you can have an EF5 tornado with near 300mph winds and still be only a 100 feet or so in width.

I didnt mention anywhere that i was an expert. But the general community of severe storm enthusiasts and professionals would rightly know this.

Now... Onto todays potential !

Towers going up nicely around here, not so much clearance for land heating to take place so its gonna be hard to judge how strong the cells will get.
    Heres hoping anyways! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nothing moving quickly anywhere today - winds all over the place (which might help make for a great day).

There seems be a cell developing over north Dublin and moving southwards very slowly.

Hopefully I'll be able to open the pack of cigars today (and pass one out to Wild Bill). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Nothing moving quickly anywhere today - winds all over the place (which might help make for a great day).

There seems be a cell developing over north Dublin and moving southwards very slowly.

Hopefully I'll be able to open the pack of cigars today (and pass one out to Wild Bill). :D

I can see that cell near me in Swords now. Moving very slowly but looks like it is packing a nice punch in there...hopefully it will continue to drift towards us!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Belt of Thunder over Wexford town just now

Edit - x 2 belts !

Link Dublin ATC for those interested. http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=EIDW

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

THUNDER IN CORK!

Cell over Navan just went boom!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

DONT forget to keep it civil folks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cell over Navan just went boom!

Where can i see such cells online Iancar? Thanks

vicwatson wrote: »
    Where can i see such cells online Iancar? Thanks

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess= :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I hope it's still developing cos the radar doesn't look that exciting to me at the moment, I was disappointed when I checked it a few mins ago to be honest. www.raintoday.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Getting very dark here now, fairly big cell has been approaching very slowly from just west of here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

I hope it's still developing cos the radar doesn't look that exciting to me at the moment, I was disappointed when I checked it a few mins ago to be honest. www.raintoday.co.uk

Have faith. Had a big rain/hail before which was barely a dot on the radar.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Trogdor wrote: »
    Getting very dark here now, fairly big cell has been approaching very slowly from just west of here

Can see that one from here.

Amazing 360° cloudscape here. I've seen footage of the eye of a hurricane and this is as close as I think I'll get! From my sunhole I can see at least 4 Cbs, lots Cu towers, ragged Cu and various other cloud types all round. Amazing! Thunder can't be too far away now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Heavy slow moving shower, no thunder, a muixture of rain and hail, dumped an unwanted 6.6mm.
    Still raining but morelightly now and sun coming out, heaviest part of shower was 23 mm/hr.

Amazing 360° cloudscape here. I've seen footage of the eye of a hurricane and this is as close as I think I'll get! From my sunhole I can see at least 4 Cbs, lots Cu towers, ragged Cu and various other cloud types all round. Amazing! Thunder can't be too far away now?

Think i might have just heard distant thunder here but could be wrong, light rain at the minute and the wind has come up a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Trogdor wrote: »

Think i might have just heard distant thunder here but could be wrong, light rain at the minute and the wind has come up a small bit.

Where are you?

chris2007 wrote: »
    Where are you?

Oh - I think that was directed at Trogdor - he's in Bray.

chris2007 wrote: »
    Where are you?

Bray. Haven't heard any more rumbles though I think it may have been building work nearby. Still just raining lightly, not an awful lot happening really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Yessiree, three thunder claps and I caught the best part of one of them on my new camera. Hope that's a sign of better things to come.

That downpour dropped 5.4mm of rain on just a few short minutes.

Vid here as soon as it renders. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ht9818igg&feature=youtu.be

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement