Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Non-stop hail in Lucan for about 20 minutes!

Lightning flash and thunder!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭veronymus

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Non-stop hail in Lucan for about 20 minutes!

Indeed and thunder now to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Definite thunder this time I think! Rain a bit heavier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

THUNDER IN CORK!

Damn, missed it! That's what I get for taking my eye off the radar to study:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Big boom and long rumble of thunder here - even though I am not surprised it nearly frightened the life out of me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

BOOOOM!!!!!! MAD LONGER THUNDER ROLL!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Major thunder
    in Dublin 8

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A rumble from a cell around 5 miles inland to my west, which looks increasingly menacing, heading south very slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 22 KillerToaster

Christ, scared the crap out of me here in Dublin 6. Don't think I've ever heard it so close as just now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Large belt of thunder in Dublin city just now. Georges street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Sounded like a bomb going off in Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

10.6mm of rain at the 2pm update for Cork airport. Temperature down to 5C too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Boom and flash in D15.

Edit: that was supposed to be the other way around. Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Big bang of thunder in Citywest a few mins ago. Same bang over all of Dublin!?

Nasty dark clouds looming close by and heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Nice fork over d10 and loud thunder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I feel like Im missing out on all this :p

Won't be saying that when I've to drive home from Wicklow to Terenure tomorrow...

Yeah think the blue flash I saw must've been seen all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tintean

Heard a distant rumble in Maynooth so didn't take much note until husband working in D2 complained about ears ringing afterward - so must have been the echo of the 'Big One' you guys got in town!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sirpsycho wrote: »
    Big bang of thunder in Citywest a few mins ago. Same bang over all of Dublin!?

Must have been IC (i.e. inter cloud rather than cloud to ground) lightning as nothing has shown up on detectors but reports of that thunder pretty widespread across the south of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

I'm in Newcastle, Dublin 22 and there was a really really bright flash of lightning and loud clap of thunder. There was a stinging noise in the air during the flash of lightning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Two loud rumbles here in Celbridge about 10 minutes ago. Radar looks nice just to my southeast, so yeah, Citywest etc should be in the firing line

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I see Cork Airport dropped to 5c during a shower in the 2 P.M reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Same flash and prolonged rumble heard here, assume its the very black sky of the cell south east of me. Not a drop of precip here all day so far

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

hailstones starting in coolock

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Massive lightening strike directly over my house in clondalkin. 15 mins ago. 2.30 pm. Wow. So bright and loud. Amazing.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Dublin's getting a presoak before the main event. I really hope this doesn't turn out like October's flood - that was no fun in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Missed getting the strike on video by a minute.. Gutted :(

574783_10150840839426718_631736717_12385996_897561444_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Interesting how the showers seem to map out the coastline in the southern half of the country, would someone more learned know if this is occurring because of a convergence zone along coastal regions or some other reason or is it simply coincidence?

• Advertisement

Trogdor wrote: »
    Interesting how the showers seem to map out the coastline in the southern half of the country, would someone more learned know if this is occurring because of a convergence zone along coastal regions or some other reason or is it simply coincidence?

I am not the learned one but definietly some convergence occuring. If you look at wind at Dublin AP it is (or was) due east, menawhile at Casement window is (or was) SW.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement