Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Storm 10

As usual nothing exciting in Galway, however its a beautiful day with light wind blue sky and temp 15 degrees, Galway Bay like a sheet of glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MarkyV

Be nice if this drops properly with some good Thunder and Lightning.. If it starts later tonight I will be out in the Landy with the cameras starting in town then to the Mountains and back to town :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I am not the learned one but definietly some convergence occuring. If you look at wind at Dublin AP it is (or was) due east, menawhile at Casement window is (or was) SW.

Ye all the cells seem to have just stalled completely now... very weird when not seeing them go anywhere .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Trogdor wrote: »
    Interesting how the showers seem to map out the coastline in the southern half of the country, would someone more learned know if this is occurring because of a convergence zone along coastal regions or some other reason or is it simply coincidence?

The radar image concurs nicely with the 12Z ECMWF 1000 hPa Convergence/Divergence field below, with the onshore flow causing coastal convergence and upward motion.

201992.png

201993.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Only heavy hail shower reported in the 3 pm Casement report so that cell lost its spark between here and there. The TAF has chance of moderate thunderstorms and hail up to 6 pm.

Dublin's ammended TAF has this chance up to 8 pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That was some bang at 2.20:eek:

Sounded overhead in Lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Dam it i missed all the fun :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

On a half day from work, and I just arrived back to Rathmines. What an amazingly loud bang that was. Had another, not as mad one a few mins later....but the expected downpour hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

It wasn't over head in lucan :)

I was on a con call from Ballymount to Dublin 2, heard it on the phone before it reached here (Ballymount) Maybe 3-4 seconds delay.

It was loud tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Heard this in Clondalkin also - two loud bangs fairly close together at around that time. Thought it was overhead here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Downpour here in Naas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

pad199207 wrote: »
    Downpour here in Naas now.

A mother and father of a downpour. Hail actually hurt. Back in Sallins now and it's bone dry. A line on the road near the millennium roundabout, Naas side wet and Sallins side bone dry. Just shows how localised these downpours are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

big fat drops falling in cork since around half 3, i must say it's creeping along very slowly. no thunder or lightening.

can any one from cork city confirm that we did have thunder and lightening this after around around half 1? because i was in college and i thought i heard some rumbling

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    big fat drops falling in cork since around half 3, i must say it's creeping along very slowly. no thunder or lightening.

can any one from cork city confirm that we did have thunder and lightening this after around around half 1? because i was in college and i thought i heard some rumbling

Page 42, post 617!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78305992&postcount=617

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Was lucky to witness the Lightning Strike that caused the very Loud Tunder clap sometime after 2:16 today from a high vantage point in Dublin 4. The end contact point for the strike was the very large Tower Aerial on top of the Burlington Hotel. Bolt came from maybe 1-2 Km away !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Despite the clap of thunder that I'm pretty sure everyone in Leinster heard, big fat load of nothing happening on the Southside of Dublin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DominoDub wrote: »
    Was lucky to witness the Lightning Strike that caused the very Loud Tunder clap sometime after 2:16 today from a high vantage point in Dublin 4. The end contact point for the strike was the very large Tower Aerial on top of the Burlington Hotel. Bolt came from maybe 1-2 Km away !

That tallies. I looked at the UKMO lightning detector around that time and it showed on single lightning strike on the map which appeared to be somewhere between Ballsbridge and the City Centre. Obviously the detector is fairly accuarate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Go back an look at my wee vid :)

YES WE DID!

202074.gif

gbee wrote: »
    Go back an look at my wee vid :)

YES WE DID!

202074.gif

I thought i heard something alright. but wasn't sure. pity i was in class :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I thought i heard something alright. but wasn't sure. pity i was in class :(

Yup, Boom, Boom, Boom I thought I caught two of them, but my vid only ran for 4 seconds a time [technical fault] and I only have the one rumble.

You'd have love it.

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »
    Yup, Boom, Boom, Boom I thought I caught two of them, but my vid only ran for 4 seconds a time [technical fault] and I only have the one rumble.

You'd have love it.

:( well considering cork city hasn't seen or head much in the way of thunderstorms, i would have been over the moon to hear something decent. oh well, next time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

here's some clouds bubbling up this evening in Mayo. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78317523#post78317523

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

OK.

There was absolutely no precipitation of any sort here in Sandyford on this mild sunny day.

Again, as is the custom, dark clouds and anvil-tops observed in all directions - not-too-distant thunder heard.

And about 2.30pm I passed through a deluge on the M11 past Bray.

By the time I got to Carrickmines I could almost hear the crickets in the parched landscape.

Todays cell that produced the CG lightning and great thunder roll over dublin.
    The strike occured just 2 minutes after i took this ! Devastated i didnt have my camera at my front window on video , couldve got the perfect shot!!!! :(

7110947457_2106cebe56.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41948286@N02/

Oh to be in london now...

202161.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

The brothers girlfriend is working in west sussex.
    Just txt him to say the weather very bad, thunder and lightning.
    Unfortunately for us she has no interest in weather videoin.
    Bitch:D

My mate works in London .... hes gonna try post photos soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Strikes to the east and west. Nothing here http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Well people were complaining there was no lightning in the west ;)

According to estofex and netweather, there was a slight risk of tornadoes in the south of England. Anyone know if there were any sightings?

• Advertisement

Well people were complaining there was no lightning in the west ;)

According to estofex and netweather, there was a slight risk of tornadoes in the south of England. Anyone know if there were any sightings?

Reports yes... sighting, not yet known

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/73113-tornado-in-rugby/

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/73114-tornado-or-slw-damage-in-near-halstead-essex/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement