Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

SLIGHT upgrade on the 18z , best place seems to favour the east of the country now . But still good elsewhere too.

Skew T Chart for 6pm tomorrow for Dublin showing -3 LI and some 580 j Cape! :D

I dont exactly want to get excited BUT... im hopeful to seeing some evening time lightning!

Currently Charging my storm Magnet .. hehe :)

Cameras at the ready people! :D
    203846.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Iancar29 wrote: »
    SLIGHT upgrade on the 18z , best place seems to favour the east of the country now . But still good elsewhere too.

Skew T Chart for 6pm tomorrow for Dublin showing -3 LI and some 580 j Cape! :D

I dont exactly want to get excited BUT... im hopeful to seeing some evening time lightning!

Currently Charging my storm Magnet .. hehe :)

Cameras at the ready people! :D
    203846.png
    Thanks Ian but any chance of a quick laymans explanation of the chart cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Southside: we've had a few really nice [thundery type] downpours ~ as Ian said, Inlanders, get yer cameras ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

ESTOFEX have the greatest lightning risk over Leinster and the north Midlands, and a chance of funnels or landspouts too.

http://www.estofex.org/

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2012050806_201205062046_1_stormforecast.xml
    ...British Isles...

The frontal system of a mature cyclone, which parks itself just off the Irish West coast, crosses these areas from the Southwest and looks capable of sparking a round of maritime convection. Insolation and diurnal warming are expected to create one or two hundred J/kg of CAPE in the warm sector, where also deep layer shear is enhanced (15 to 20 m/s) underneath the polar jet. While the bulk of a strongly helical flow will be placed ahead of the warm front, still veering wind profiles (100-200 m^2/s^2 of 0-3 km SRH) and some low-level shear (~10 m/s between 0 and 1 km) will probably persist into the warm sector. Showers and thunderstorms in this environment may turn into multicells and low-topped supercells with a chance of small hail, marginally severe wind gusts and maybe an isolated tornado. The threat is maximized over Southern England and in particular over Wales, where persistent upslope flow and a possible convective line along the trailing cold front may additionally cause excessive precipitation. A level 1 was drawn in order to reflect this combined threat.

Vertical wind shear is much weaker in Ireland in the vicinity of the vertically stacked low pressure system, which might result not only in locally excessive precipitation but also in the formation of a few funnel clouds or even landspouts. A threat level does not seem to be necessary, in particular as the center of the low pressure system remains offshore.

• Advertisement

Already some nice towers building up ! , some nice scud motion too :)
    ( rising pockets of clouds )

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A few strikes now - http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html - look to be around NE Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

Got 5 mins of absolute torrential downpour here in Drogheda, with hailstones and all for added effect.

Whoa.. lightening & thunder. Probably about 1-2 seconds between them, so fairly close somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

Another one there, again about 1 second or less between lightning and thunder.

Two more, 6 and 8 seconds away. Reminds me of the South East Asian monsoon, only that over there you could pretty much see the lightning veins travelling across the sky, where as it's all bit clouded up here.

Lads please say you have some shots up there in Drogheda?!
    Theres apparently some rotation going on too!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Brief moderate/heavy rain shower in Dalkey...I don't think the wind direction is good for any decent thunderstorms here today, I'd be more optimistic North of Dublin cc, the mid lands and border area

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

blues skies giving way to some dark clouds over dublin bay.nothing too bad coming from the south yet. also some towering cumulus's over north of bay.

Part of the Cell That went onto being the thundery cell over Drogheda.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/389359_10150930302461718_631736717_12490865_2096696598_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

As I expected, the Wicklow mountains seem to be sucking the life out of anything headed for South Dublin.

big downpour over dublin bay now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Had given up on the fairly light shower that passed over so was emptying the dishwasher and heard a loud and long rumble of thunder. The shower does not look in an way electrified but there ya go.Obviously there is a lot of potential energy up there.

Had a short but heavy shower here about 20 minutes ago (Dalkey). Another one heading this way but as another poster said, the Dublin and Wicklow mountains are sucking a lot of the precipitation out of them. Wind is too South of West unfortunately. The midlands will get a hammering today as will most areas North of Dublin. Lets see what the afternoon brings.

Thunder in Dalkey, very heavy rain :)

potential is there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thunder across South Laois now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Thunder and lightning with big hail showers over Edenderry now. 5 or 6 flashes the last 20 minutes. :D

• Advertisement

I'm getting that Edenderry shower on camera from the east
    Amazing structure to it. Can really see the shape of this storm. I'm in brilliant sunshine just southeast of Enfield. The shower is back building. Will look fantastic as a timelapse!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Rougies wrote: »
    As I expected, the Wicklow mountains seem to be sucking the life out of anything headed for South Dublin.

Eat your words, Wicklow sucked nothing out of this, couple of lightening strikes off Dalkey as well
    2e90e207.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

highdef wrote: »
    I'm getting that Edenderry shower on camera from the east
    Amazing structure to it. Can really see the shape of this storm. I'm in brilliant sunshine just southeast of Enfield. The shower is back building. Will look fantastic as a timelapse!

Never see hail like whats in that storm. would love to follow it out the road and get a few snaps but with college exam Wednesday im stuck in studying. Please post up the timelapse later if you can.

Can we expect more storms building up as the day goes on?

Will do. Storms are becoming electrified all over the place. midlands and north midlands seems to be where the worst of them are, in general

According to Radar , KELLS has gone BANG ha

203915.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

One clap of thunder heard east of Limerick City in the direction of Murroe at 1.30pm.

PLEASEEE TELL ME SOMEONE HAS SOME SHOTS FROM THIS!!!?!

:eek::eek::eek:

203917.png

I reckon thursday is gonna be the day for storm watching! got the low centre of dublin at midday! and the 3 fronts to spice things up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Have to say the whole wider system that is bringing today's showers is pretty impressive looking. The actual low center itself should move into the mid-west region later today. Just a pity it didn't move in a bit earlier to cut off that God-foresaken southwesterly here. :(

animat7th.gif
    from Sat.24

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Iancar29 wrote: »
    PLEASEEE TELL ME SOMEONE HAS SOME SHOTS FROM THIS!!!?!

:eek::eek::eek:

203917.png

That looks insane!

Just had a heavy rain/hail shower here but no sparks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement