Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Just had a heavy hail shower in Celbridge and heard one rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A few minutes of light hail here with one clap of thunder, just light rain in the breeze now. Feels like we got the glancing blow of something more?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The Sky to the South of Galway Bay is very black but is not showing up on Met Radar, how could that be???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

2 heavy downpours with hail in the last 30 minutes (dalkey)...wasn't expecting so much today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Major rumbling going on here (Clonmel) at the moment. Sky getting increasingly black and the dog is going crazy!

Ridiculous amounts of thunder in North Louth with little rain exactly where I am. Parents were caught in 20 seconds of hail that scuffed the car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Pretty epic cell passed to our west about 20 minutes ago, could clearly see CG lightning strikes (really needed a video to capture the strikes). Some pics here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78546641#post78546641

Latest thunderstorm SIGMET issued for Shannon FIR:
    EISN SIGMET 01 VALID 071410/071600 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR/UIR FRQ TS FCST WI 40NM OF LINE N5420 W00900 - N5340 W00700 TOP FL280 MOV NE AT 20KT NC=

"Valid 1410 - 1600 Z. Frequent thunderstorms forecast within 40 nautical miles of a line N5420 W00900 - N5340 W0700, tops 28,000 ft, noving northeastwards at 20 knots. No change"

Casement's short TAF, issued at 3 pm, gives moderate rain / hail showers and thunderstorms up to 7 pm.

GFS sounding for around Kildare area now at 4 pm, showing good instability but saturated mid levels and only weakish shear, so we can expect that convection will not intensify further through the evening. Cells should start to die out fairly quickly after around 6 - 7 pm.

sondagegfs_82_3_9_1_1336402612.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

No rain here after the main band passed through earlier this morning. The South Westerly killing our chances. Its actually been a nice day with plenty of sunshine.

Weather's starting to become an issue now for aircraft off the Dublin coast. Listen live here

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw2&icao=eidw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

few vicious looking cells in the midlands at the moment.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Thunder and Lightning in Carlow right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭thebiglewbowski

You carlow cell looks to be heading dblin way, me hopes it grows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

big rumbles of thunder here now in naas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Su Campu wrote: »
    GFS sounding for around Kildare area now at 4 pm, showing good instability but saturated mid levels and only weakish shear, so we can expect that convection will not intensify further through the evening. Cells should start to die out fairly quickly after around 6 - 7 pm.

Hey Su, do you know if it is possible to get those forecast soundings for my region? Have checked Meteociel countless times but can't figure out how to find them (if they exist on the site in the first place that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Torrential rain and hail here atm... Waiting for a boom any sec:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

looks like some action heading for Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Nothing yet, waiting with camera:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Belting down hail in Sallins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Hey Su, do you know if it is possible to get those forecast soundings for my region? Have checked Meteociel countless times but can't figure out how to find them (if they exist on the site in the first place that is)

Can't find one that shows the whole country but if you click the very top left it should be close enough to you

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/sondage_gfs.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Lightning & Rain in Maynoot approx 10 mins ago. Very close.

Passed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Beautiful storm just passed almost overhead, mostly east of us (north Kildare). Best storm I've seen in a few years. Raging I didn't have camera handy but saw an amazing looking fork. Other than that, just 9 or ten flashes. My 6 yr old just said its the best weather day ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Any of these cells rotating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Harps wrote: »
    Can't find one that shows the whole country but if you click the very top left it should be close enough to you

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/sondage_gfs.php

Nice one Harps.

As I suspected, A sw'ly all the way up to the heavens :rolleyes:
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/sondagegfs/sondagegfs_0_8_3_0.png

As purdy as the Burren is (or so I am led to believe) I really wish it would collapse into Galway Bay and fill it up, because that Bay is a true storm killer for my region under these WSW set ups. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

wind and rain picking up now in DN 22

That north Kildare cell was amazing, watched it from my upstairs as it passed a couple of miles away. Some lovely lightning, which I caught on video. A lovely double rainbow too. Will post it in a bit.

Deep, you can get a similar GFS sounding for any latitude/longitude here.

http://ready.arl.noaa.gov/READYcmet.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We had a lot of thunder and lightening in north Kilkenny, heavy hail and at one stage near constant thunder.

• Advertisement

Great, I've just fried my camcorder. Put the wrong power adaptor into it! :(

I'm afraid we won't be seeing that lightning lads! :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement