Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Su Campu wrote: »
    Great, I've just fried my camcorder. Put the wrong power adaptor into it! :(

I'm afraid we won't be seeing that lightning lads! :mad:

Whooops leg it down to DID electric lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

very turbulent sky just to my north.

And looking onomous to the south over the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Great, I've just fried my camcorder. Put the wrong power adaptor into it! :(

I'm afraid we won't be seeing that lightning lads! :mad:

:(

You can still salvage the data though right! Right!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I'm &%*£$% raging over that camcorder!!! :mad:

Anyway, these are the strikes so far today.....a nice big cluster alright.

sf_na_1v.gif?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Dark and hail shower in Greystones now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

And looking onomous to the south over the mountains.

Nothing exciting to report here....just rain!

I'm &%*£$% raging over that camcorder!!! :mad:

Anyway, these are the strikes so far today.....a nice big cluster alright.

I'm surprised at how little action Wales and England got compared to us.
    The Estofex threat Level 1 area in Wales didn't even get a sferic today, a few just outside that zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Lightning strike fairly close by here just now, thunder quickly followed. Been raining and hailing for the last while.

Rougies wrote: »
    :(

You can still salvage the data though right! Right!?

I hope so! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

More rumbles from another cell to my west, heading in the Offaly/Kildare direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

South Kilkenny, and we have absolutely nothing, I cant even see any thundery looking clouds. The only thunder I have heard this year was in Waterford city last month, and that was just 1 clap.

No more SIGMETs have been issued.

The 1700Z Casement TAF continues with rain / hail showers and thunderstorms until 8 pm.

Dublin's only gives a slight PROB30 chance of same. Similarly Sligo, Galway and Waterford airports'.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,930 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm on the m6 at the tolls leaving Galway. Just after leaving the blue skies and into heavy rain and black skies. It's bananas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I hope so! :mad:

If you're lucky it might just be the battery that's fried, I did the same with my phone a few years back and it still worked with a new battery

Just opened the door here to have a look at an incoming shower and a slice of bread randomly fell from the sky, I'm guessing a bird dropped it but quite an odd moment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Watching a huge cell off to my west here with plenty of distant flashes... Seemed to have missed all the big ones here today:mad:

Harps wrote: »
    If you're lucky it might just be the battery that's fried, I did the same with my phone a few years back and it still worked with a new battery

Just opened the door here to have a look at an incoming shower and a slice of bread randomly fell from the sky, I'm guessing a bird dropped it but quite an odd moment :pac:

Nah, I need to take the battery out in order to insert the adaptor. It's fried! :(

Shannon Airport reported a light thunderstorm at 17:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

5 car accident on the outskirts of Athlone on the M6 hailstones like marbles & super lightening display. Roads are lethal so caution is advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Harps wrote: »

Just opened the door here to have a look at an incoming shower and a slice of bread randomly fell from the sky, I'm guessing a bird dropped it but quite an odd moment DEBRIS!!! :pac:

Fixed that for ya ;):D

Photos and timelapse... the usual stuffs from moi , all being sorted now. Shall post this evening. :)

EDIT: report from friend of a funnel cloud west of Portlaoise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Have a nice view of those showers in the midlands at the moment. One very large anvil is really expanding at the moment. Top of anvil as viewed from here roughly 40 degrees above horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Horrible looking sky to the west and northwest of Portlaoise right now, some ominous sounding distant rumblings too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Horrible looking sky to the west and northwest of Portlaoise right now, some ominous sounding distant rumblings too.

PHOtos photos photos!!... lovely hook on it on radar! Wish i was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Lovely cell just passed directly over me. South Kildare. I see it developed a nice blue core on ME radar, almost directly above my area. Serious hail fell followed by copious rain. Water was streaming out of gutters and drains. Sky looked ominous too on approach, very dark. Cell has dissapeared behind some lingering cloud. Several claps of thunder too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Was an interesting day, I observed a few cells and chased one to Fermoy [my chase limit] and it was producing bigtime.

Lovely to hear the reports of cells producing later up the country. Obviously can't really say, but I think the one's I backed worked, by all the other reports. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Serious looking cell showing on radar over Portarlington heading north of Newbridge - wish I was there:mad:

Serious looking cell showing on radar over Portarlington heading north of Newbridge - wish I was there:mad:

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb
    It's a monster, and it seems to be growing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Rougies wrote: »
    http://www.sat24.com/en/gb
    It's a monster, and it seems to be growing :eek:

Yea been watching it, looks impressive.

Lets hope it stays as active as it approaches Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

first serious thunder in years right now in Ballybrittas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Netweather radar has over 100mm/hr at its core and what must be about 100 strikes

74510359.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

I would pay to be in Portalington right now!!! Looks like it will pass to the south of me. Prosperous and Clane could be in the firing line again if it keeps up it's pace....can't see it continuing to grow like this, as much as I would love it to!! The view out of my office window facing SW is epic. Camera is till rolling :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

In north Offaly- is say you guys would have loved it. Turning my stuff back on now - damned power surges!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement