Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Iancar29 wrote: »
    God i love Photoshop ;):)

Looks like the cover of a Led Zeppelin LP. (Though you're way to young to know that) ;)

btw - 2.4mm of rain in a series of pathetic dribble-showers throughout the day here.

As usual :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Here's a better pic of the mammatus I saw yesterday, taken from Donegal Weather Channel's facebook page. They were far more extensive than the pic shows but its a lot clearer than my own anyway

57911222349733776002316.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Harps wrote: »
    Here's a better pic of the mammatus I saw yesterday, taken from Donegal Weather Channel's facebook page. They were far more extensive than the pic shows but its a lot clearer than my own anyway

Fantastic picture (whoever took it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Looking at yesterday's rainfall totals

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

I am a little surprised to see that Casement only recorded 1.9mm for the entire day, especially given intensity of the showers in the region. Really shows how fickle and localised showers can be despite there apparent numeracy on radar returns. In the wider local area close to Casement 4.2mm was recorded at Phoenix Park, 8.2mm at Dub Airport and 12.1mm at Dunsany.

I am just 8 km from Casement as the crow flys and recorded 10.4 mm yesterday, 4.9 mm of which fell in 20 minutes with that "supercell" in the evening. I noticed all day that most of the showers passed just to my northwest, so I'm not surprised that Casement received less.

Also, Dun Laoghaire Harbour received 16.6 mm, so there again is proof of the localised nature.

Here's a map

204124.png

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

How close in your expert opinions would yesterdays "supercell" have been to producing a tornado? What ingredients if any were missing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

To Alcohol wrote: »
    How close in your expert opinions would yesterdays "supercell" have been to producing a tornado? What ingredients if any were missing?

A little sea convection and a little more heat to get the ball rolling earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

gbee wrote: »
    A little sea convection and a little more heat to get the ball rolling earlier.

Yep and just a bit more shear would of done the job ! ...

BUt sure... there WAS a tornado in Finglas! .. LOok! ;)

204136.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ahhhh photoshop. :)

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    ahhhh photoshop. :)

WHATS THAT??????????

;):D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

WHATS THAT??????????

;):D;)

It's just envy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Su Campu wrote: »
    I am just 8 km from Casement as the crow flys and recorded 10.4 mm yesterday, 4.9 mm of which fell in 20 minutes with that "supercell" in the evening. I noticed all day that most of the showers passed just to my northwest, so I'm not surprised that Casement received less.

Also, Dun Laoghaire Harbour received 16.6 mm, so there again is proof of the localised nature.

Indeed.

And I am located about 5km due west of Dun Laoghaire and we got virtually nothing today (2.4mm accumulated in spits and spots through the day).

I was in Glencree today (in the hills) and could see massive showers along the coast but the mountains were dry.

IMG_1291-001.jpg

(Little Sugar Loaf left and Big Sugar Loaf right, in the background. This was at 4pm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

To Alcohol wrote: »
    How close in your expert opinions would yesterdays "supercell" air mass thunderstorms which developed into a possible small multicell line feature have been to producing a tornado? What ingredients if any were missing?

FYP :)

Edit: All depends on actual track (and timing) of low center passage, and even then, risk will always be very small for a few heavy showers to develop under the slack low on Thursday:
    204160.PNG

Assuming that prognosis, a good chance that the influence of the frontal occlusion will be to strong to allow anything worthy to develop and the GFS not showing much instability either with positive LIs' all round whilst the UKMO fax keeps the low center off shore. So after all that, and the fact that I have probably jinxed it there is about 10% chance of a thundery shower on Thursday developing somewhere. A non-existent risk, but a risk nonetheless:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Yep and just a bit more shear would of done the job ! ...

BUt sure... there WAS a tornado in Finglas! .. LOok! ;)

204136.jpg
    That's just smoke from a car on fire Ian ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Still wondering from the thread title... what was so severe about the transexual in the midlands ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Some great pics and vids from monday, loved stooges video and the kildare stuff.
    Nothing here except 1 or 2 flashes in the distance and small bit of mammatus cloud.
    Me sister in nobber said she had big thunder and lightnin but to busy with four children to take videos of it:(
    She said a house in kingscourt was hit and badly damaged by a lightning strike :eek:

delw wrote: »
    That's just smoke from a car on fire Ian ;)

Damn... i should of known ! .. :rolleyes:

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Still wondering from the thread title... what was so severe about the transexual in the midlands ? :D

Large hail was reported , potential funnel cloud.. and rotation .... each in its own along with lightning can be classed then as a Severe thunderstorm. I like the idea of the Met Office with them saying " Supercell " over with the Oxfordshire cell so ye... our one is called the "Supercell " too k?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

lolie wrote: »
    Some great pics and vids from monday, loved stooges video and the kildare stuff.
    Nothing here except 1 or 2 flashes in the distance and small bit of mammatus cloud.
    Me sister in nobber said she had big thunder and lightnin but to busy with four children to take videos of it:(
    She said a house in kingscourt was hit and badly damaged by a lightning strike :eek:

my dad told me that a house in meath hill was badly damaged with all the electric sockets blown and chimney fell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Thats the house she was on about, her husbands cousins house.
    Feckin scary stuff when ya think of it.
    Hope they had insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

Here's some photo's I got of the weather, looking from Mornington to Baltray, and Laytown to Gormanston:

7168081748_5307980b83_z.jpg
    DSCN5220.jpg by michaeldever, on Flickr

7168076814_1f1fcba3b8_z.jpg
    DSCN5164.jpg by michaeldever, on Flickr

7168070402_19f3a825f5_z.jpg
    DSCN5159.jpg by michaeldever, on Flickr

7168063534_6f2fd7bf96_z.jpg
    DSCN5155.jpg by michaeldever, on Flickr

7168054566_874655c578_z.jpg
    DSCN5150.jpg by michaeldever, on Flickr

The lads on tour 2 are on Day1 chase down in South Texas on a Tornado warned cell! :D

CHECK OUT THE AMAZING LIGHTNIING at the mo!

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=chaselive;sess=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Must have just missed it, they're on their way to the cell to the SW now. It looks impressive on Charles Edwards stream, definite hook forming on the latest doppler image

Can't be long until your tour now is it?

Harps wrote: »
    Must have just missed it, they're on their way to the cell to the SW now. It looks impressive on Charles Edwards stream, definite hook forming on the latest doppler image

Can't be long until your tour now is it?

Ye they wer parked at a good spot.. saw a few myself .
    Cant watch those streams, my laptop wont load any iMap streams for some stupid reason :(
    The cell off the coast is a BEAUTY! ha.. I can only imagine the Tornadic waterspout its putting down!

One month 2moro .. :D ....

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Martin McKenna took this, this morning in Maghera..

547294_3541350045758_1032643585_33006017_797059628_n.jpg

Tower FLYING up over the Dublin Mountains... Couldnt get a good shot of it though, not being lit up right for a good shot. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭highdef

Very heavy hail shower passing over Inchicore. A lot of scud at the forward edge with a bit of rotation evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Crazy hailstones, lightning and a clap of thunder here now.

EDIT: Another rumble of thunder further away, hail has stopped.
    EDIT2: And another in the distance as it clears off. That's a very small but potent cell!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A rumble to the south, over the city centre perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Tower FLYING up over the Dublin Mountains... Couldnt get a good shot of it though, not being lit up right for a good shot. :(

Twas looking nice. I was in Greenhills area, went to grab my phone to take a shot, left my phone in work.
    The speed it built up at was scary.

Plenty of hail and a flash of lightining and then some of ye old thunder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

ESTOFEX do have a 15% lightning chance over much of Ireland today

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2012051206_201205102303_1_stormforecast.xml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

small rumble over Sandyford just now. It's got very dark - bring it on!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement