Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Power Back was a major outage, one thunderclap heard, two showing up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Haven't heard or seen a thing, just some very dark clouds to my north east...

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Haven't heard or seen a thing, just some very dark clouds to my north east...

207725.gif

From here [live at time of posting] http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/index.html

gbee wrote: »
    207725.gif

From here [live at time of posting] http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/index.html

I'm not doubting you, just sitting here with various sferic maps open and feeling jealous that I didn't even hear any of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i'm watching that dark cloud from my room, thinking there had to have been something decent come out of that storm. wow. pity it was in southside.:(

• Advertisement

http://www.corklightning.com/

Keep an ear out, Corkonians, it might not be passed just yet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

13 strikes recorded in the past hour east of Cork on the Netweather radar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

gbee wrote: »
    http://www.corklightning.com/

Keep an ear out, Corkonians, it might not be passed just yet. :)

That system seems to be picking up strikes from thin air! It's highly inaccurate. Nobody sneeze or it will register it as another strike!! :pac:

Here's the UK Met office map, showing just 5 strikes

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/

207727.PNG

The Met Office chart is showing another 4 now in east Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Quite a few lightning strikes this evening just east of me (East of city)
    Has passed now but yes the strikes were real

Tomorrow looks loaded with potential too

All this before monsoon conditions take hold on Thursday
    What a Summer, if this keeps up we wont have an immigrant left :pac:

• Advertisement

SIGMET just issued for the Shannon FIR:
    EISN SIGMET 01 VALID 051810/051930 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR/UIR EMBD TS FCST WI W00800 N5130 - W00700 N5130 - W00700 N5230- W00800 N5230 TOP FL280 MOV NE AT 12KT WKN=

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Slowly making its way across Waterford. Will be keeping an eye on stations across the county for rainfall rates and alike but fear the Comeraghs might take the sting out of this before it makes its way to Waterford City.

Met Éireann have just ammended the Local Area forecast for Waterford airport to mention a slight chance of thunderstorms up to 9pm.

http://www.waterfordairport.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=184&Itemid=100083
    WATERFORD EIWF LOCAL AREA FORECAST VALID 051700/052400
    AMD WIND VRB03KT BECMG 1921 27008KT VISIBILITY 9999 TEMPO 1721
    4000 WEATHER TEMPO 1721 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 1820 TSRA CLOUD BKN004
    BECMG 1719 SCT005 BKN018CB BECMG 2224 SCT010 BKN020 CLOUD HEIGHTS
    GIVEN ABOVE MSL=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i'm watching that dark cloud from my room, thinking there had to have been something decent come out of that storm. wow. pity it was in southside.:(

Didn't see or hear a thing...

Couple of guys mentioned in on the Cork City Forum.

I'm in the Togher/Lehenaghmore area..Great view,,but heard nothing.

Dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A nice hook shape appeared on the radar at 6.10pm... wouldnt be surprised if there was a funnel cloud seen. :)
    Especially with the low level shear that Su mentioned.

207728.png

The heavens have just opened up in Cork, some ominous looking clouds too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    The heavens have just opened up in Cork, some ominous looking clouds too!

Just drove home from the gym there and Christ there was the most unbelievably heavy monsoon like shower! I've never experienced anything like it! Unreal!!

I was not blessed with the heavy rain, it sure looked like it was going to just explode, I was waiting, camera in hand but nothing worth pressing the button for.

My rain gauge caught 1mm in no time at all, so I must have been just at the edge of it/

Dramatic sky now to the west. :)

207749.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

anyone down in youghal direction? because by the looks of things youghal was in the path of it as well. :(

• Advertisement

Latest METAR from Waterford Airport

EIWF 052030Z VRB01KT 9000 -RA FEW002 SCT006 12/12 Q1001 R21/2/////=

There was moderate rain at 2000Z.

Met Éireann have now given a slight chance of thunderstorms up to 11 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

In Midleton. Noisy enough storm earlier as mentioned above. Saw very few sparks but it was hanging around a while.

Is it over? I get the feeling we'll have a bit more. Nothing scientific only my lightheadedness.

largepants wrote: »
    Is it over? I get the feeling we'll have a bit more. Nothing scientific only my lightheadedness.

Pretty much. However, if this feeling stays around for tomorrow with the high CAPE, someone will get plenty of action.

Yes, it really was like it was going to explode ~ it might soon, but for tonight for here, it should be quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Fairly odd day here today. After this morning's rain passed over it became very dull and calm and with even some thick mist/fog at times and despite an afternoon temp of between 12-13c, it felt very sticky and warm with very little or no wind. A shower broke out around 6.30pm (approx) lasting around 45 mins giving a total of 6.8mm. Was never torrential at any stage but was quite heavy with rain rate peaking at 25mm/ph but helped to clear the air a little. Some spits of showers at the moment but clouds still have an portentous look to them.

Hourly rainfall from my station for this evening.
    207767.PNG

PS, rainfall total today 12.2mm

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Hi this is a video of that cell that gave off all the strikes down the East Cork direction, took it around 4:50pm, seems to be a wall cloud i think which would be the front of the neighbours houses at the start,

sorry its abit long and boring and shaky as i'm just trying out my new phone :)

Full HD available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

John2009 wrote: »

sorry its abit long and boring and shaky as i'm just trying out my new phone :)
    Good quality video! and what a beautiful dog!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

df1985 wrote: »

Go way, that would support Leahyl's report and what I was waiting for. Did not hear any county fire reports for help so maybe it ran off as soon as it dropped, that would have beena great vid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Holy fook, I taught that was a pic from the last flooding episode in cork. A cloudburst caused that, wow!.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement