Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ketrab82

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Would love to know the rain rate that fell there yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

redsunset wrote: »
    Would love to know the rain rate that fell there yesterday.

I was waiting for something like this, it really felt like this was going to happen, it would have been a great test of the rain gauge allright, very localised seemingly, two Cork City spotters reported similar, me, only five miles away and waiting, missed it.

df1985 : Thanks for posting the vid, excellent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

COuld be some nice action today folks. Id expect almost anywhere is in with a good chance this afternoon. Showers should be moving from SW to NNE direction.

Still waiting for Valentia s latest sounding to come online but id expect cape to be in the 500-600j range broadly by midday according to Gfs and LI in -1,-2 range widely too with -3 in places also.

Looking goood once some sun starts to shine IMO... off out with the doggy and to access z situation :)

Only have time to post the one chart... so ill post the nicest one i could find! :D

18_20.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

weather amazes me at times. it was completely dry here in the city and a friend of mine was on her way home on the south link and she had to slow to a crawl while in that.

• Advertisement

CBs towers going up nicely around here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Really bubbling up now :) compare 1100 and 1130. That's a big one in W.Cork.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

ohhhh interesting, there's something coming up from west cork, thunderstorms please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's a GFS forecast sounding for the midlands for this afternoon, showing decent CAPE up to around 8 km and moderate DLS.

sondagegfs_34_21_9_1_1338982061.png

Shannon's 11Z TAF is the only one mentioning thunderstorms, with a slight risk from 3-6 pm. We could see some amendments to the others later though.

EINN 061100Z 0612/0712 VRB03KT 9999 FEW012 SCT022CB
    TEMPO 0612/0619 5000 SHRA BKN012 BKN020CB
    PROB30 TEMPO 0614/0617 TSRA
    BECMG 0621/0621 SCT010
    BECMG 0702/0704 04008KT BKN012 OVC020
    TEMPO 0705/0712 4000 RA BKN007 OVC012
    BECMG 0709/0711 09014G25KT =

First strikes of the day registered just East of Omagh.

• Advertisement

A nice line like yesterday's forming up north now.

207834.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Amazing skies all around in Galway, alot of convection but no action.yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

13:25 just heard a crack of thunder.
    Foxford.
    207835.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Some nice looking returns from my neck of the woods, trust me to be on the west coast today where its been dry all day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

West Cork; have heard/seen nothing but you can smell the thunder in the air. Stifling and unnerving.

Our thunder-forecasting collie went sideways too..

Was trying to get some garden work done and had a warm shower when the rain hit.

I can hear our farmer/ landlord desperately trying to get sileage in before the next deluge.

Graces7 wrote: »
    West Cork; have heard/seen nothing but you can smell the thunder in the air. Stifling and unnerving.

Our thunder-forecasting collie went sideways too..

Was trying to get some garden work done and had a warm shower when the rain hit.

I can hear our farmer/ landlord desperately trying to get sileage in before the next deluge.

the dogs of the nieghbourhood have been barking like crazy for the last hour. mu head feels like it's gonna explode:(

Dublin Airport Forecast for 3 pm showing CAPE over 600.

03969_12060615_0606.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Not much sign of anything here with just weak to non-existent convection observed which is flattening out into stratocumulus. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Took a couple of pics of this around 12 today. Is it a funnel cloud?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    the dogs of the nieghbourhood have been barking like crazy for the last hour. mu head feels like it's gonna explode:(

Same here; and hard to breathe..came in but want to get more work done in the garden..Collie is medicated so all is quiet for her thankfully.

• Advertisement

Poker Face wrote: »
    Took a couple of pics of this around 12 today. Is it a funnel cloud?

THAT CERTAINLY IS!! ... WELL DONE! :D

Where exactly did you take these?... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Iancar29 wrote: »
    THAT CERTAINLY IS!! ... WELL DONE! :D

Where exactly did you take these?... :)

Im in North Kerry about 10 miles North of Tralee. Got a a couple more I will add later. It lasted for about 3 mins.

if you look at the radar image by John mac it would correspond with the red you can see north of Tralee
    John mac wrote: »
    13:25 just heard a crack of thunder.
    Foxford.
    207835.jpg

Graces7 wrote: »
    Same here; and hard to breathe..came in but want to get more work done in the garden..Collie is medicated so all is quiet for her thankfully.

seriously we need storms now.:(damn this mucky air

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Monsoon conditions here in Loughlinstown, incredible.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Anything like it was in Cork yesterday evening?

heard thunder there. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Very heavy, even torrential rain here few miles south of Nenagh in North Tipp from approx 14.40 until some time after 15.00.
    Lightening towards the end following very quickly by some long loud rumbles of thunder.
    This screen grab from the Met.ie radar shows the area (circled). Apologies for the pic quality as it's hard to see here but at the top left of the red area there was a blue section denoting >16mm per hour rainfall rates (this at 15.00 today).

picture.php?albumid=1480&pictureid=13021

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

sunbabe08
    It's coming for you! :pac:.

Yesterday's flooding report. Play movie tho see RTE news at 1

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0605/east-cork-towns-hit-by-flooding.html

• Advertisement

Officially turning my storm magnet up full... * Waves storms in my direction * :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement