Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Why is the country not lit up like a Christmas tree? One strike around Cork city looks like all there is at the moment.

Edit: A few more appearing now, just as I go to work. Typical.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Getting a very heavy shower atm near Limerick city. I'm surprised that there is hardly any thunder around especially up the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

A few very long and loud rumbles of thunder to my south, sound like it is just south of Forth Mountain, east of Wexford town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Why is the country not lit up like a Christmas tree? One strike around Cork city looks like all there is at the moment.

Edit: A few more appearing now, just as I go to work. Typical.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

Well there has just been a good few claps in wexford, not being picked up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Well there has just been a good few claps in wexford, not being picked up at all.

My thoughts exactly.

BOOM in Wexford

Not showing here, why not? -

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

• Advertisement

Netweather has 15 minute data delay apparentely?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Check out the data on my website (it runs Bliztortung lightning discharge data) http://www.carrowhawny.com/mybo/index.php?bo_showmap=0&&bo_period=0

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ArdRi71

Funnel cloud spotted over Rathcoole just before lunchtime. Camera phone, apologies for the quality.Funnel cloud.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmm not a drop of rain so far today and yet both radars say we should be drenched here.

heh heh, no sooner posted.....only drizzle though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Gone very dark around Edenderry, car headlights on and bucketing down for an hour at least now. No Thunder... yet

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

mike65 wrote: »
    Hmm not a drop of rain so far today and yet both radars say we should be drenched here.

heh heh, no sooner posted.....only drizzle though.

Same here Mike65, have put off doing some jobs outside as the radar was suggesting rain, but only one light shower so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

don't know if i was seeing this or was it actually real. but i thought i saw a funnel cloud to the south of cork earlier today around half 1. :o

and clearly there must be a bubble around the city cause none of those heavy showers are anywhere near us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It seams that the Icelandic website shows all lightening but netweather only shows fork lightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Sunbabe08, pretty much confirm you report. We've had quite a few funnels begin but I did not see anything too exciting.

We had a band of CBs pass us by going to the East, very strong radar echo and cork was right in between two of them, so we did miss any potential. One of those just a little to our North, shows a red dot lightning strike ~ I heard nothing myself.

Keep watching. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

gbee wrote: »
    Sunbabe08, pretty much confirm you report. We've had quite a few funnels begin but I did not see anything too exciting.

We had a band of CBs pass us by going to the East, very strong radar echo and cork was right in between two of them, so we did miss any potential. One of those just a little to our North, shows a red dot lightning strike ~ I heard nothing myself.

Keep watching. :)

sweet :D i'm not going crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Looking terrible in Cork now...;)

Broken cloud,,and bits of sunshine. There was a very very dark cloud earlier down East direction..Wonder was there anything on that?

I was down in Cobh about 11.00am this morning and there was after being a downpour there. But it was dry on the way down,and on the way back.

At the moment,I can see a bit of black cloud looming a bit to the South-East. I can't see properly as some feckers built houses right in My view. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Some fresh convection has set off in the south midlands (Tipp -> Kilkenny), which is what I was referring to last night. This should produce some sferics throughout the rest of the afternoon and evening, and still a chance of some more funnels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Metroalarm have a yellow warning out

aw102.jpg

Localized downpours leading to spot flooding

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/index3.php?area=IE004&day=0&lang=

Jpmarn wrote: »
    It seams that the Icelandic website shows all lightening but netweather only shows fork lightening.

I thought ALL lightning was forked lightning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Is there not "Sheet" lightening??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

And the famous grease lightning :D

All lightning is "forked". What we call "sheet" is lightning obscured by cloud, which causes the widespread diffuse flash. Without this obscuring cloud we would see it as forked, be it cloud-cloud or cloud-ground.

SIGMET issued for embedded thunderstorms in the Shannon FIR up to 8 pm this evening.
    EISN SIGMET 01 VALID 121549/121900 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR/UIR EMBD TS FCST LAN S OF 53N E OF 08W TOP FL300 STNR WKN=

• Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jean Byrne is doing things to me talking about supercells and funnels in that outfit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭highdef

Some serious rotation going on here the past hour with funnels popping up left right and centre!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

WATERFORD
    Reports of flooding on the Dunhill Rd (R682) out of Waterford City at the Six Crossroads in Butlerstown. Take care along this stretch.

LAOIS
    Gardai say road surfaces are very wet around Portlaoise and on the M7 Dublin/Limerick Rd following earlier heavy rain. Slow down, drive with care and use your dipped headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭highdef

Have just got some rotation looking west from the top of the local hill and I think I got a touchdown on tape.....probably around the Johnstownbridge area or thereabouts. Great funnel footage too....was quite big at some stages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

No extraordinary 24hr totals up to 18 UTC today at inland stations (although Oak Park data not available on Ogimet yet). 16.0mm at Johnstown followed by 8.0mm at Mullingar & 7.9mm at Knock Airport. Pretty certain that some areas away from these stations would have seem much higher totals given the radar earlier today!

http://tiny.cc/j77sfw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Beautiful cell development in Wicklow and Kildare!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement