Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Pictures from the storm that was rotating over me earlier. Video upload currently in progress.

As it was above me

IMG_0276.jpg

Went up to Howth after it and snapped these. Nice structure to the clouds.

DSCF1105.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Pictures from the storm that was rotating over me earlier. Video upload currently in progress.

As it was above me

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad272/Shamrock125H/IMG_0276.jpg

Went up to Howth after it and snapped these. Nice structure to the clouds.

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad272/Shamrock125H/DSCF1105.jpg

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad272/Shamrock125H/IMG_0294.jpg
    Great pics Simon,i went to the shop at about half 8 & noticed this cell to my E/SE,out towards Howth,thought to myself how very impressive it looked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Ended up very close to a particularly active cell in North-Western Italy on a flight home tonight, was flashing away at quite a rate! It had a very nice structure from above and i tried to get a few pictures but i'm not sure if they were any good, might post one or two up tomorrow if anything came out in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

STRUCTURE HEAVEN YESTERDAY!!!! :D:D:D

http://irishtwisterchaser.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Some impressive rotation yesterday over Dublin Airport, even I could spot it. Lucky we generally only get F0's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Videos from the storm yesterday showing some rotation.

I also noticed in the first vid about halfway through, sparks can been seen coming from either the cloud or the tree in front of me, almost lightning leaders, but they didn't connect for the return stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just driving into Galway and there was a funnel cloud over Galway Bay, no bloody camera but Galway Bay FM has loads phoning in about it, was quite a big one I would say it touched down on the sea but I could not say for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just driving into Galway and there was a funnel cloud over Galway Bay, no bloody camera but Galway Bay FM has loads phoning in about it, was quite a big one I would say it touched down on the sea but I could not say for sure

Where did you see it and which direction was it moving.
    I took a few pictures of this as it moved over Athenry and changed shape alot.

209458.JPG

209460.JPG

Here's one from just now.
    209467.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was heading down towards the Closed Corrib Hotel on the Dublin road it was over the sea to my right as I drove down from Ballybane

Your bottom picture is class, any thunder from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

Took these just before a big downpour passed overhead yesterday eve.
    Look very nice with the sun shining underneath it.
    Although a lot of movement in the clouds no rotation though.

209473.jpg

209472.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

Some Photo's from yesterday evening of some angry looking clouds.

Are these mammatus?

Two Examples, the rest are here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056675881

[IMG][/img]7401820294_6caa0240fc_z.jpg DSC_0001 by MichaelD212, on Flickr

7401819462_a072388bcd_z.jpg
    DSC_0007 by MichaelD212, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

This was on twitter today
    http://t.co/jk72jwj1

Irish Weather Online ‏@iweatheronline
    RT @theclareherald: Funnel Cloud Spotted In North Clare #clare #tornado #weather #iwo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I was heading down towards the Closed Corrib Hotel on the Dublin road it was over the sea to my right as I drove down from Ballybane

Your bottom picture is class, any thunder from it.

No thunder from this unfortunately, it is Galway after all.
    Did you not see the sign at the county border, ‘Galway, thunder free for years, like...’
    I did reduce the brightness a little while taking the shot which gave it an evil look.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Absolutely buzzing right now!! Just driving home from work today watching the sky as I normally do when I looked over to my left and seen a wall cloud pushing towards me. Decided to pull off the next side road and get a good vantage point and also for safety reason!

Pulled into the entrance of a field and was just standing watch it rotating and hoping it would produce something, next minute out comes a funnel and heads straight for the ground! Lasted a good 5 minutes, was brilliant to see!!

I have pictures and a few videos on my phone so will get them uploaded later when I get the lead for them.

The wall cloud was still pushing towards me and when nearly above me the wind just picked up from being completely still.

Decided to then chase it for another 20 miles with it rotating the whole way, best thing I'll probably experience without hitting America, and best thing about it was the fact it more or less went from my place of work to where I live!!

Anyone know where I can see radar images from between 5pm and 6pm for the North West?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Lol! TONIGHT ON STORM CHASERS NI!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

The red bit on the border of Donegal is when it was.

icuwj7.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

No thunder to report but some really short lived whoppers passing through on occasion here in the last hour or so. High rain rate of 49.0mm/ph so far. Air has a sickly feel to it with no wind at all. (3.0 kt mean)

Edit: another wave of intense rain passing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Trogdor wrote: »
    Ended up very close to a particularly active cell in North-Western Italy on a flight home tonight, was flashing away at quite a rate! It had a very nice structure from above and i tried to get a few pictures but i'm not sure if they were any good, might post one or two up tomorrow if anything came out in them.

Uploaded 2 pictures in the weather pictures forum, didn't get anything too spectacular but one or two of the strikes came out alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thunder in Castlebar in the last 30 minutes along with some torrential downpours.Feeling very warm and humid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

thunder here in kilmovee near knock airport just before 7 o clock this eve,i have 20mm of rain recored on my vantage vue since 3 today,realy heavy showers on and off since then.they seem to be dyeing out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Thunder in Portlaoise. and darkening skies in Edenderry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A guy in the motors forum posted this from france.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t398/Edwharding/41d458d3.jpg

Ahh if only for a day out of the whole year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I honestly cannot understand how you managed to use so many words to describe that video..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

I honestly cannot understand how you managed to use so many words to describe that video..

Well this is a weather forum. What kind of stuff were you expecting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jjj6894x

bucketing down in dublin 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Nice bit of lightning in eastern parts of England. Hopefully it will edge a bit more west.
    UK_sfloc_sat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

traecy1 wrote: »
    Well this is a weather forum. What kind of stuff were you expecting to see.

A vague appearance of the Michelin man at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

A vague appearance of the Michelin man at least

If you have nothing of value to add to the Weather forum then I suggest you do not post here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Just a heads up that this week we could see some pretty impressive thundery activity, especially from Wednesday onwards, with warm low levels already in place and a large upper trough approaching from the west. Wednesday itself should be interesting.

I'm heading to Sardinia on Thursday so will miss most of it, but with temperatures probably in the low 40s over the weekend, that same upper trough may bring some fireworks there too on Sunday/Monday. Here's hoping! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement