Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Rain getting very heavy here in Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Massive amount of flash floods in and around Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

squonk wrote: »
    Any hi res detector for west of Ireland to see?

Netweather detector here, click 'free weather radar' on the left for the hi-res rain radar

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=/

Plenty more life in it yet I'd say, might be a bit over the top but HIRLAM has parts of Limerick/Clare/Galway getting over 40mm over the next few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

still dead calm here in arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

very calm here in cork.

don't like it, bring back the noise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    very calm here in cork.

There you go! Loud enough?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    very calm here in cork.

Its back hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Tazio wrote: »
    There you go! Loud enough?? :)

Nearly gave me a heartattack! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

An idea of what the rain sounds like in Cork, though far from it's heaviest.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

18.3mm of rain at Cork Airport the last hour, and it's still sounds torrential in the city, more thunder now too!

• Advertisement

lightening again in cork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,515 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

From the radar, would say Limerick (city) may be the next major target of this heavy to severe thunderstorm activity, expect we'll have folks staggering out of bed and logging in, so, as lightning has proven to be very intense would advise, watch from a safe spot and avoid upper storeys of homes until this passes further north. The cells that I see on radar offshore heading for Galway-Mayo don't look as intense but could phase in with what's already over land, as to total rainfalls, 40-60 mms now seems plausible for strongest cells (Cork has reported about 28 mms in two hours up to 0200h).

Will be back with further updates if necessary (although if I see other posters covering the points I won't repeat what they've told you).

By the way, not a big issue but I take exception with the poster who said there had been a "let down" on forecasting this, perhaps in Belfast but as to this activity in the south, there were more than hints about it from 24 hours ago and an update with an alert issued at 6 p.m. which is 6-8 hours before the strongest cells arrived. Su Campu and Iancar on this thread discussed the potential in detail during the period 0700 to 1500h much earlier today. This is plenty of warning, we aren't going to be mailing out alerts in April for a few more years yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Just about to sleep and the lightning starts up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Heres the video from all the activity earlier, sorry that the quality aint the best, taken with an Xperia S and the thing kept losing focus :o, Full HD available though the lighting around my place is ****e, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

From the radar, would say Limerick (city) may be the next major target of this heavy to severe thunderstorm activity, expect we'll have folks staggering out of bed and logging in, so, as lightning has proven to be very intense would advise, watch from a safe spot and avoid upper storeys of homes until this passes further north. The cells that I see on radar offshore heading for Galway-Mayo don't look as intense but could phase in with what's already over land, as to total rainfalls, 40-60 mms now seems plausible for strongest cells (Cork has reported about 28 mms in two hours up to 0200h).

Will be back with further updates if necessary (although if I see other posters covering the points I won't repeat what they've told you).

By the way, not a big issue but I take exception with the poster who said there had been a "let down" on forecasting this, perhaps in Belfast but as to this activity in the south, there were more than hints about it from 24 hours ago and an update with an alert issued at 6 p.m. which is 6-8 hours before the strongest cells arrived. Su Campu and Iancar on this thread discussed the potential in detail during the period 0700 to 1500h much earlier today. This is plenty of warning, we aren't going to be mailing out alerts in April for a few more years yet. :)

I said "All meteorology websites let us down on this" in reference to weather websites like met.ie etc. Since when did this forum become a weather website? I wasn't referring to this service
    And yeah I wouldn't expect that for a few more years myself either but I would within 24hours range

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Scary lightning in Waterford :O

384225_434627796569478_1152380588_n.jpg

penrose quay a couple of minutes ago :eek: for those who don't know penrose quay runs along the river lee.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

RobitTV wrote: »

No view from where I am, house in front of me and ill be damned if im walking into get a good view!! Didn't know we were getting this!

Headaches last few days and all thanks to this random weather. Ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

RobitTV wrote: »

Radar showing some really strong activity heading up for the south east of the country at the moment.
    Torrential rain on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

brilliant lightning show just happened in tramore, seems to be over now unfortunately. the whole sky was lighting up blue and there was blue flashes all over, was amazing. im so excited by it that now i cant sleep, does it affect others in such a way??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Some sage thunder and lightning in tramore, co.waterford. A mixture of fork and sheet lightning and by Jesus the thunder is loud. LOVELY!! This is what I love :P

Seems to have calmed down now but I'll keen an eye out for the night. The fork lightning was really low also.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thought of you all around 1.30 as I waded out to rescue the dogs from the shed, through several inches of water already and with lightning flashing all around.

Wondered if it hurts to be struck by lighning...Plenty of trees here to take the brunt.

Power on and off...

Stil heavy showers now. My poor garden.

Family in BC are flooded out to the roof and have had to take to a boat.

blankAs wrote: »
    brilliant lightning show just happened in tramore, seems to be over now unfortunately. the whole sky was lighting up blue and there was blue flashes all over, was amazing. im so excited by it that now i cant sleep, does it affect others in such a way??

Took the words right out of my mouth! I'm situated at the entrance to tramore, spectacular I must say!!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thought of you all around 1.30 as I waded out to rescue the dogs from the shed, through several inches of water already and with lightning flashing all around.

Wondered if it hurts to be struck by lighning...Plenty of trees here to take the brunt.

Power on and off...

Stil heavy showers now. My poor garden.

Family in BC are flooded out to the roof and have had to take to a boat.

Where are you situated in Ireland? Hope everyone is okay and safe !

Sully wrote: »
    No view from where I am, house in front of me and ill be damned if im walking into get a good view!! Didn't know we were getting this!

Headaches last few days and all thanks to this random weather. Ugh

I have the worst hay fever ever for the same reason. Ugh indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

iv a view over the bay and i swear i saw the sea! iv never seen such bright lightning, any idea what type it was?

blankAs wrote: »
    iv a view over the bay and i swear i saw the sea! iv never seen such bright lightning, any idea what type it was?

From where I am, by the back strand I definitely saw sheet lightning and my dad said he saw fork looking out the back window. Must be because when he saw the for, the,lightning was much much lower, nearly hurt my eyes at one point.

At one point it was right over us, no delay literally flash thunder flash then another bang :O

lee3155 wrote: »
    Where are you situated in Ireland? Hope everyone is okay and safe !

West Cork. The collie is appallingly thunder phobic so I did housework talking to her..quieter now but still heavy rain. At least this house has an upstairs!

Never seen the garden like that path before. Inches of water.

Shattered.

lee3155 wrote: »
    From where I am, by the back strand I definitely saw sheet lightning and my dad said he saw fork looking out the back window. Must be because when he saw the for, the,lightning was much much lower, nearly hurt my eyes at one point.

At one point it was right over us, no delay literally flash thunder flash then another bang :O

It was like that here too; I hesitated at the door before going out but no choice. When critters are at risk...

• Advertisement

West Cork. The collie is appallingly thunder phobic so I did housework talking to her..quieter now but still heavy rain. At least this house has an upstairs!

Never seen the garden like that path before. Inches of water.

Shattered.

Gosh that's devastating, hope there isn't too much too clean up tomorrow !

It was like that here too; I hesitated at the door before going out but no choice. When critters are at risk...

Same! Then I stuck to the windows instead, when I found out thre was fork, I wasn't long in moving back :P

Met is showing more rain for the night soo I won't be sleeping, not when this is the first time we had lightning, never mind say thunder in years !! I didn't want it to end :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement