Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

canoes at the ready. cork is flooded once again. 5ft of water around the douglas area

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Folks down in E Waterford and Wexford, your gonna get more lightning in the next hour id say, decent storm rumbling off the coast atm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    canoes at the ready. cork is flooded once again. 5ft of water around the douglas area

Sheesh....
    Sounds dreadful out there.

Will be light here soon...

Whatever is, is so all will be well and all are safe here.

Poor cattle in the fields here too.. No danger here thankfully of having to use a boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

pad199207 wrote: »
    Folks down in E Waterford and Wexford, your gonna get more lightning in the next hour id say, decent storm rumbling off the coast atm

Your getting me excited now! Btw what maps you using? I can only seem to get the rainfall off met :/

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

just checking back before i make myself sleep now i dont think ill be able!! not if theres more to come.

• Advertisement

now its either the lack of sleep or i saw more just there!!

Just heard another bang of thunder in Tramore. Was really loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Some serious rain going up through the midlands.

7B6F7CE696E14CD09AB72A53D8279791-0000324468-0002911328-00760L-2B0654B8469148129B0D133C8572DC5B.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

your not kidding Super-Rush

it's just after waking me up and now im looking out at it. that was some serious downpour!

thought there was thunder in it at first, but I think it was just seriously heavy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jjj6894x

fair bit of rain currently coming down in dublin 8.

• Advertisement

Really heavy rain and really bad fork lightning in tramore co.waterford right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Very severe thunderstorm off the Wexford coast at the moment, rainfall rates touching 100mm/hr and a ridiculous number of strikes, what a waste having all this offshore, should travel along the east coast over the next few hours so hopefully it doesnt lose its intensity!

93549256.png

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Rain getting heavy now in N Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Lightening flashes and serious rain coming down in Waterford. Just woke me and hoping it doesn't wake my 1 year old.

Looks like it was stopped again in tramore however that was intense ! Think I'm gone blind in one eye :/ hope to see more, no way I'm goin asleep now,

all over in tramore, was that actually a dream??! some beautiful bird song in the garden right now, little light rain and a breeze...... wha??!

Harps where is that map from??

All quiet here in West Cork.. daylight and several inches of water in the garden and on the driveway, but the house is safe, so now some sleep..

Graces7 wrote: »
    All quiet here in West Cork.. daylight and several inches of water in the garden and on the driveway, but the house is safe, so now some sleep..

I now know how you feel, just had the worst rainfall ever and it's continuing, there must be bout 4 inches of water out my back right now! Can't see the grass anymore either, will take weeks to dry out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Woke up by the dogs, thought the house was being robbed or something, then next thing the thunder and lightning started, looked pretty cool, saw it out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

Woah never heard or saw anything like it in my life here in Waterford city ,absolutely crazy, it woke me up, whole bedroom lit up heard a massive bang right over the house, good few flashes and a good few rumbles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

blankAs wrote: »
    Harps where is that map from??

Here

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=/

Rainfall here

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=/

Really should be off to bed but that storm is looking amazing, 50 miles further north west and it'd be probably the best thunderstorm I've ever seen over the country. 836 strikes picked up in the past hour with most from this cell!

74284691.png

lee3155 wrote: »
    I now know how you feel, just had the worst rainfall ever and it's continuing, there must be bout 4 inches of water out my back right now! Can't see the grass anymore either, will take weeks to dry out.

Sitting snug as I don't need to go out until trading on Saturday so by thenit should have abated.

Thankfully I no longe rleave the car handbrake on as it seized in wet once and had to get the towtruck out; on insurance thankfully.

I don't envy those who have to go to work in this.

Harps wrote: »
    Here

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=/

Rainfall here

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=/

Really should be off to bed but that storm is looking amazing, 50 miles further north west and it'd be probably the best thunderstorm I've ever seen over the country. 836 strikes picked up in the past hour with most from this cell!

74284691.png

Your enthusiasm is beauiful; thank you!

Blessings and peace as the birds sing and we settle to sleep here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Just heard a few rumbles of distant thunder in North Wex.

Just heard a few rumbles of distant thunder in North Wex.

Looks like its heading up that way, more then likely lightning too but you can't see it now because it's too bright :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,515 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have updated the alert (forecast thread) to warn of 30-50 mm rainfalls in Ulster next 3-6 hours. Would say severe local flooding potential given the topography there. This would come about as the activity over the north central counties at present time moves into Ulster. I know that we have a lot of readers and contributors in Donegal and a few in the six counties also, and my Irish geography-history needs an update but if memory serves Monaghan and Louth are also counties in Ulster, or is it Cavan, I just remember the total is nine, but in any case, this torrential rain could lead to severe local stream flooding especially in smaller drainage areas that can overflow quickly in this much rainfall -- anyway, what I really mean here is that all parts of Ireland north of where the heavy rain is now, will see it shortly, so if you're in that zone but in Connacht, north Leinster, same alert, same risks.

Now, the stuff over the Irish Sea looks very intense but should drift NNE then due north and largely miss land until hitting the Mourne district (east Down) but this is not just a linear extrapolation, other cells could fire up further west over eastern Leinster and so it will be wise to watch the radar closely in Meath and Dublin city around 0800-0900h ... could be hit or miss there.

This will certainly play havoc with the Irish Open which I was reading in another thread is at Portrush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

If only it was a little further west. Rain is very wet here in bray atm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Being absolutely lashing in Ashford since 06.00, just under 20mm since then. Some thunder shortly after it all started.

I feel sorry for the guys coming into finish the Round Ireland Yacht Race in Wicklow Town this morning - stay safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement