Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Some major 12-hour rainfall totals up to 7 am, including 46 mm at Cork Airport.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=005W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2012&mes=6&day=28&hora=6&min=0&vr2=R2

I will be flying over the Irish Sea in a bit so hopefully I'll see some activity from above.

PGDE14_EGRR_0600.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Took a spin up to windgates to see if i could see anything but it was quite foggy and just a bit too far out i think unfortunately, was a beast about an hour ago though, screenshot from 6:00 here.

2mVCz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Just had more thunder in Ashford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Don't think I've ever seen a thunder storm quite like what we experienced over Cork last night from about 12:30am to 2:00am. Alot of damage done by the flood water. The rain was torrential in that period and rarely let up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Trogdor wrote: »
    Took a spin up to windgates to see if i could see anything but it was quite foggy and just a bit too far out i think unfortunately, was a beast about an hour ago though, screenshot from 6:00 here.

2mVCz.png

Nothing much happening up here on Windgates Trogdor, just some fog & torrential rain at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Fickle beast, isn't it?
    Had the torrential rain here in Avoca all morning, but no lightning. I see two strikes listed for Arklowish, but I didn't hear anything. Strange.

edit; the strikes were more towards Courtown

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Rte reporting torrential flooding in parts of cork and Belfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Douglas village in Cork is apparently under 3 feet of water - buisnesses flooded and everything:(

Clonakilty is cut off.

I slept through the whole thing! My dad said the rain was unreal - thunder and lightening and everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Douglas is severely flooded, wouldn't count on many businesses being open for the next few days, including KC's :(

Video here of Douglas from 96fm's Neil Prendeville.
    http://yfrog.com/0wjipjz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Also noticed on my way into work that the river is a dirty chocolatey brown colour...uuughh! I hope to God we don't get too much more of this cos I'm going to see Dara O' Briain tonight and Centre Park Road always floods when there's serious rainfall:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya, Douglas is pretty much a river at the moment.

A firend of mine lives just off the main street and posted a few pics on FB showing water coming up his stairs in his apartment and showing the main street under high water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Clonakilty Flooded - Emergency
    HELP NEEDED TODAY

Thursday 28th June.  The town flooded badly last night and the water is not expected to start subsiding until after the high tide at 1.00 today at which point help will be needed with a major clear up.  

The Mayor will be in touch with information about where help will be needed and what needs doing.  

At 7.30 this morning all routes around and through the town were impassable. Check AA road-watch for up to date information.  

Mayor says 
    "Flood update. No vehicles of any description allowed into Clon Town until at least 1.00pm. High tide due around  12.00 which will slow down the draining of surface water off streets."

Assistance will be needed with sweeping, cleaning, moving etc.

If you are free to help please text or ring us at 089 435 2675 or ring 023 8850163.  We will be in touch when we have news of what is being organised and what is needed at that point.  

News and information will be posted here when we have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Douglas village in Cork is apparently under 3 feet of water - buisnesses flooded and everything:(

Clonakilty is cut off.

I slept through the whole thing! My dad said the rain was unreal - thunder and lightening and everything

Yeah i slept through it all as well..typical! thankfully not affected...irish drains not made for this kind of rain. well done to MT for predicting it and Met eireann did have a warning as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Some short clips i got last night. Cork got a fair aul battering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Was pretty torrential in Naas overnight, thankfully the sound of rain hitting the window sent me to sleep !

Just looking at MTs latest update are we expecting this to pep up again ?

A silly question also if I can... With it being so humid and the rainfall overnight would this make the convection more potent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Took 90 mins to drive to work despite schools being off. Saw Douglas from the flyover (having first tried to drive through it!). Its very bad, both sides of the village are a lake. All businesses in the village must be flooded. My blackout blinds (and fact I was beering during the match..) means I missed the lightening but I did hear the longest and loudest rumble of thunder ever at about 2am. Rain was loudest I've ever heard too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Pictures of Dougles this morning
    210705.jpg

210700.jpg

210698.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Watched this system until shortly after midnight then went to bed and slept through it all.

I've captured 25mm of rain in my bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

gbee wrote: »
    Watched this system until shortly after midnight then went to bed and slept through it all.

Me too. Sickened I missed it (wouldn't wish the flooding on anyone mind, I just wanted to see the lightning!) !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    210708.PNG

fascinating how some areas got away with it (Valencia of all places!)

Last night here (Waterford city) there were a couple of really intense downpours with thunder and lightening including one pretty much overhead (I jumped!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

mike65 wrote: »
    fascinating how some areas got away with it (Valencia of all places!)

It is isn't it!

EICK 46mm Me 25mm [midnight 31mm overall] Cobh 13mm Roche's Point 15mm all within a ten mile strip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

ME's station report for Valentia (in Ireland :D) shows 4.2 mm to 09.00 today, and 4.4mm from midnight to midnight yesterday.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp
    http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

And once again, South Dublin gets absolutely zero action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

gbee wrote: »

How did you manage that!!! It was so loud the windows almost rattled.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Thunder and Lightning in Waterford City overnight with some torrential downpours at times. A total of 22.2mm has fallen since Midnight. Have had reports of flooding in parts of the city.Total for June so far 198.2mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I live 10 miles west of Cork City, I was in Clon (35 miles west of Cork) during the evening and the rain was very heavy theres and very humid. By the time I got home at 11 the heavy rain had travelled towards the city, I watched the storm from 12-2.30 am, lots, close to 100 lightning strikes and torrential rain. Ive never seen a storm like it in Ireland. Lots of country roads and small tributary rivers overflowing into the fields around here, but most roads are passable.

Parts of Cork City are heavily flooded, I grew up and have lived at one time or another in most of the areas that have flooded. As kids when we played there we would say we were going down to 'The Swamp', 'The jungle' , or the river. These areas are now unrecognsable , they are overdeveloped property and commercial centres where engineers thought they could control nature and divert the natural water courses.

Mother Nature 1 - Engineers 0 ...

I feel sorry for the private individuals who have homes destroyed, but nature hasnt let you down, engineers, the county and city managers and the county council have let you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Good enough here in Wexford between 4-5am plenty of flashes and rumbles, most distant enough as it more clipped the coast rather come inland. Pity that monster cell didnt take a more direct northerly path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

that was a joy to watch last night:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement