Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

:eek: WOW biblical rain in East Galway! A good 5 minutes of it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

:eek: WOW biblical rain in East Galway! A good 5 minutes of it now!
    Must have only got the outskirts of that (little further west) 2.1mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Finally... First strike over Claremorris...

Almost certain I just heard 2 rumbles of thunder off to the east .
    I'm in east Galway so towards ballinasloe maybe
    Defo heard 2 louder rumbles there....edging closer

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

km79 wrote: »
    Almost certain I just heard 2 rumbles of thunder off to the east .
    I'm in east Galway so towards ballinasloe maybe

You probably did. A couple of strikes around that area now. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Seriously heavy passing showers in Galway city. Can't hear any thunder though

It's got REALLY dark now. Sat signal gone . Picture of the offending clouds to follow

thunder cloud

holy mother of rain and hail !!!!!!

8mm later....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Can confirm reports of a very severe downpour in east Galway. I recorded my highest rain rate in my records an hour ago - a whopping 276mm/ph with 6.1mm falling in less than 2 minutes. Parts of my estate are flooded.

Thunder booming over the town of Tuam as I type!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

That is an incredible rain rate DE :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Can confirm reports of a very severe downpour in east Galway. I recorded my highest rain rate in my records an hour ago - a whopping 276mm/ph with 6.1mm falling in less than 2 minutes. Parts of my estate are flooded.

All your years of waiting for exciting weather have finally paid off!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Can confirm reports of a very severe downpour in east Galway. I recorded my highest rain rate in my records an hour ago - a whopping 276mm/ph with 6.1mm falling in less than 2 minutes.

Wow! Wouldn't mind experiencing that! :p Any video?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Might be worth a warning thread, lots of people travelling today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You should send those rain figures to Met Eireann that is unreal, just had a ten minute shower in Galway it was very heavy roads flooded but no thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Might be worth a warning thread, lots of people travelling today.

I notice MetE added a warning this morning alright for the south and west, unfortunately it wont take much to flood saturated areas in Munster. Those road trips will be very unpleasant

With the projected movement of the Low slowly east overnight, do people expect heavier showers in the east tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I notice MetE added a warning this morning alright for the south and west, unfortunately it wont take much to flood saturated areas in Munster. Those road trips will be very unpleasant

With the projected movement of the Low slowly east overnight, do people expect heavier showers in the east tomorrow?

Lovely and sunny in tramore co.waterford ATM but clouds on their way, might rain in an hour or so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This sort of rain is what killed those girls in Ballindine (near DE's location) a few years back, I have posted a warning thread seeing as it is a bank holiday with lots travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

2 flashes and several rumbles 5 miles west of athlone..... And counting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

2 flashes and several rumbles 5 miles west of athlone..... And counting

Other half in Athlone said she seen what resembled a funnel cloud, but didn't get a pic of it in time. She did get this pic though. (attached)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

lightning here in Castlerea

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Im here,did not see anything nor hear any Thunder.DAMM!!
    Other half in Athlone said she seen what resembled a funnel cloud, but didn't get a pic of it in time. She did get this pic though. (attached)

Looked very much like funnel towards Bealnamulla side of Athlone .A lot of thunder now coming from east & west of the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

SIGMET out for occasional thunderstorms at Knock Airport.
    EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 031400/031700 TS OCNL MOV N FCST NC=

Also chance of thunderstorms issued in the latest forecasts for Sligo and Donegal Airports.

Su Campu wrote: »
    SIGMET out for occasional thunderstorms at Knock Airport.

Also chance of thunderstorms issued in the latest forecasts for Sligo and Donegal Airports.
    Good auld thunderstorm over Athlone now, rain not to heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Good auld thunderstorm over Athlone now, rain not to heavy.

heavy now!

heavy now!
    :D:D:D:D Sure is..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Heafty storm over Cavan right now just crossing the boarder... wish i was there to get shots of it! , must looks amazing!!

215692.png

I see Belmullet is reporting 'HEAVY THUNDERST(ORM)' at 16.00. Havn't seen that reported before (the heavy bit).

• Advertisement

I see a shower over north Wexford has really come to life in the last half hour or so. May be Dublin bound (but no doubt will miss here! :p).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement