Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I see Belmullet is reporting 'HEAVY THUNDERST(ORM)' at 16.00. Havn't seen that reported before (the heavy bit).

That's just referring to the intensity of the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Radar at 16.00
    8c636525.jpg
    Lightning at 16.15
    1967651a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The latest Met Éireann aerodrome forecasts for the Regional airports, issued at 4 pm, list chance of thunderstorms for all five airports (Donegal, Sligo, Galway, Kerry and Waterford) this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Just after walking out from town(Sligo)and the heat was absolutely shocking its honestly the hottest sunshine i have felt in Ireland anywhere ever. Black clouds approaching from the south i say were for a good thunderstorm any minute now .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

Just after walking out from town(Sligo)and the heat was absolutely shocking its honestly the hottest sunshine i have felt in Ireland anywhere ever. Black clouds approaching from the south i say were for a good thunderstorm any minute now .

Looks rough on the radar in sligo alright. Get the camera ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Athlone just had a rocking couple of storms and the radar looks awesome for more stuff - http://www.raintoday.co.uk/mobile . Everything tracking from limerick to athlone to sligo on that line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭OldRio

Hailstones about 30 minutes ago. County Leitrim.
    Then thunder and lightening.
    We lost electric for a short while.

Thunder still sounding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Heafty storm over Cavan right now just crossing the boarder... wish i was there to get shots of it! , must looks amazing!!

215692.png

That shower passed over head about 3 o clock but only exploded into life after it passed
    Only heard a few faint rumbles in the distance.
    Noticed some of the cloud had a greeny purple tint to it, no pic of that. Just pic when i got home after it passed, mad!

215693.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24 irobmw

In Sligo at the moment and the leading edge just passed over head. Got very dark very quickly.

I can see a wall of rain approaching from the South and a few flashes with a not so distant rumble following!

Next to Lough Gill have seen 3 proper flashes so far about 5/6 miles off to the South

And my head feels like it's about to pop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Torrential rain near sligo town. Some nice fork lightening as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

storm clouds have been avoiding youghal all day, we got the odd spot of rain, but nada coming near us. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

These were taken North of Galway City about an hour ago.

Looking North
    34y38ux.jpg

Looking South
    9hpcmt.jpg

A few rumbles in the past half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Some roads flooded around Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Seen some beast of clouds passing my direction to the north, the wind picked up considerably as it was passing.

Just seen four flashes and heard four bangs to my north, nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Two loud bangs there sounds Rathcormac/Drumcliff direction .In Ballincar atm about 2 miles north of Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Watched all these fantastic clouds, that are now producing thunder and lightning up the country, pass over us in Limerick earlier, they were great to look at but we got no activity from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

And Athlone is getting another beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

mkkm54.gif

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Its fair to say that the north west and north midlands have got a decent battering. Flattered to deceive around this part of North Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

loud thunder just to NE of me

• Advertisement

Heard a good bit of rumbles since aswell, pouring at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Saw this one earlier heading out over the Atlantic on the west coast, too far away to hear anything but it looked impressive and looking at the detector its produced plenty of strikes.

This is the best I could manage from a moving car

img8871c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

Getting some rumbles now in Longford town one flash is all ive seen so far and no heavy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Got this footage of the loudest clap we had as a cell passed over:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Got this footage of the loudest clap we had as a cell passed over:

Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

One! hah ahh ha ha ha! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hal1 wrote: »
    One! hah ahh ha ha ha! :D

More like O..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

been some great storms here this afternoon. Proper fork lightening and downpours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Heading west tomorrow..doubtless the action will move to the East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Was in Enniskillen this afternoon when the TS rolled in!! Wonderful stuff!! The skies got so black...and then BOOM!!!! Thunder! .... then only managed to see 2 lightning strikes.... one was a lovely forked one. Magic :D

(and no camera, :( )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement