Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Got this footage of the loudest clap we had as a cell passed over:

:D:D:D

kaboom!.gif

Brilliant! Im glad someone caught some good footage! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

DOCARCH wrote: »
    More like O..
    3213623821591170754.jpg

Few strikes just west off the CLare coast...

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Great day of strikes, if it was at night it would be nice to see the sky a light with all those flashes.
    8zMzK.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Any video?

None Docarch as I don't have a video recorder :o and not really a good day for cloud photos either as was dull and overcast for much of the day.

Today's highs on my weather station showing the high rain rate which occurred at 1.01pm this afternoon. (no temp or humidity as sensor is fecked!)

215715.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Looking decent for the SE tomorrow going by the CAPE and LI charts... hopefully a bit of that thunder in the NE too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Pangea wrote: »
    Great day of strikes, if it was at night it would be nice to see the sky a light with all those flashes.
    8zMzK.gif
    Yeah, and I didn't witness one in Galway! Can't believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Pangea wrote: »
    8zMzK.gif

eh?? there was no thunder or lightening anywhere near the south east coast today. wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Totally agree, anyone explain please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

vicwatson wrote: »
    Totally agree, anyone explain please?
    Maybe because them strikes are from previous days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

^That's showing strikes over the past week, each day colour coded, blue is for the 28th

Like redsteve I once again managed to miss all the thunder showers today, still haven't seen or heard anything this year. At least I saw one in the distance today which is progress :rolleyes:

Tomorrow looks interesting again, risk all along the west but the south west in with the best shout. Good forecast from IWN..
    An early look at convective potential for Saturday.

Another showery day in store with an area of low pressure on the south coast becomes slow moving generating heavy showers moving in an anticlockwise direction around the low.

After a bright and sunny morning, the heat of the sun warming the ground will build convection and cumulus clouds will tower during with showers breaking out in the late morning over much of the country. Showers will become heavier as we move into the early afternoon and thunderstorms are likely to occur. The highest risk of storms at this moment is across parts of the midlands, the northwest, west and southwest. Along coastal counties of the east and northeast may escape the heaviest of the showers but sea generated showers could drift in along the coast at times. Thunder risk is low at this time for these parts.

Winds will be southeast over the eastern half with an east to northeast flow in the western half of the island. Winds will be light enough so showers or storms could be slow moving leading to local downpours, frequent lightning and spot flooding.

CAPE of 900j/kg with LI -3 will be tapped into by surface warming with deep convection building quickly. Cold air aloft will enhance the convective instability but slightly warmer air at height may move into the northern half of the country lowering the risk of storms later in the afternoon though it may not be sufficient to dampen down the risk entirely.

Wind shear is greatest over the southwest with directional shear organising the showers into bands at times and giving the showers longevity. There is also weak low level shear here, aided by topography and surface warming, vertical speed shear will increase the risk for funnels to form in the SW.

More updates through Saturday morning.

Harps wrote: »
    ^That's showing strikes over the past week, each day colour coded, blue is for the 28th

Like redsteve I once again managed to miss all the thunder showers today, still haven't seen or heard anything this year. At least I saw one in the distance today which is progress :rolleyes:

Tomorrow looks interesting again, risk all along the west but the south west in with the best shout. Good forecast from IWN..

If I was at home yesterday I probably would have seen/heard something but I was in Galway city so according to the strike data from met.ie that's where my problem lies.

This link is good of you want to look at a particular days strikes, only downside is that there is no live data, http://www.met.ie/climate/lightning.asp, just enter the date on the right.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    eh?? there was no thunder or lightening anywhere near the south east coast today. wtf?

The legend missing from the right hand side of the picture is a vital piece of info.
    See it here http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

A couple of years ago maybe 4/5 years ago I went out the back garden to look at the lightning, it wasn't raining and there were broken clouds and you could see the stars as well and this small oblong cloud passed over real white looking cloud and was moving reasonably fast as it was very windy but I have to say it was amazing looking.

It was on it's own moving along and inside the cloud you could very clearly see all the lightning forks flashing inside it. It looked amazing but I had no video camera to record it, wish I did. I'm still amazed how a small cloud like this could hold so much power as it was moving across the sky. Strangly the forks of lightning never left the cloud as they all stayed inside it. What are these ones called ? or is there a name for it in meteorology ? a lone cloud holding lightning inside of itself ?.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see Estofex has a Level 1 warning for Ireland.

A level 1 was issued for parts of Ireland for marginally severe hail and for tornadoes.

Exciting. :) But i don't think we will see much action here on the east coast due to the position of the low/onshore winds today. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Very heavy rain in swords now but doesn't look like it will produce any thunderstorms yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

None Docarch as I don't have a video recorder :o and not really a good day for cloud photos either as was dull and overcast for much of the day.

It was more that I would love to see that intensity of rain (in Ireland).

Your high rainfall rate spurred me to do some googling. I read (whether true or not):

The highest ever recorded rainfall rate in the world is 38.5 cm (about 1.5 inches) in a one minute period. That's a 90-inch per hour rate, or 7.5 feet of water per hour.

That would be the equivalent of a rain rate of 2,286mm/hr. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would say inland southeast the most likely target area for storms today, roughly north Wexford, west Wicklow, Kilkenny, Laois, north Waterford, east Tipps. The low is weaker now so it won't have quite as wide a circulation as yesterday, but the same general idea, strongest activity tending to develop N/NNW of the centre as it drifts east. Although the large-scale motion is east, the motion of cells that develop can be from east to west, although today I think that might cancel out more and lead to stationary formations which could be locally problematic because large amounts of rain could fall over small areas as a result.

The legend missing from the right hand side of the picture is a vital piece of info.
    See it here http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?.

yes i'm aware of the legend, but considering i've been down in youghal for the last week, i have not seen lightening or heard any thunder at any stage. so i'm only going to presume that, that map is faulty :rolleyes:

so, any chance of thunder and lightening for the youghal area, would prefer some time in the afternoon when my dad is not playing golf in probably the highest point in youghal.

If i was off today and chasing... id head to Carlow, Kilkenny region. NIce chance again for some decent cells like yesterday with that one in Cavan.

Spout index for 15z giving a pretty decent chance for some funnel clouds. :)

215736.png

Cameras to the skies today folks! , im gonna try set up my camera for a timelapse while i go to work so at least id have something to look back on afterwards if anything interesting does happen here.

GOOD LUCKS everyone! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

will carlow be bad?the wife and son gone there for the day:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

zenno wrote: »
    A couple of years ago maybe 4/5 years ago I went out the back garden to look at the lightning, it wasn't raining and there were broken clouds and you could see the stars as well and this small oblong cloud passed over real white looking cloud and was moving reasonably fast as it was very windy but I have to say it was amazing looking.

It was on it's own moving along and inside the cloud you could very clearly see all the lightning forks flashing inside it. It looked amazing but I had no video camera to record it, wish I did. I'm still amazed how a small cloud like this could hold so much power as it was moving across the sky. Strangly the forks of lightning never left the cloud as they all stayed inside it. What are these ones called ? or is there a name for it in meteorology ? a lone cloud holding lightning inside of itself ?.

An Anvil Crawler perhaps or Intra Cloud Lightning more likely

Nothing is certain dicey , but going by radar it seems like in and around there is the place to be for storms today..

EDIT

Never seen a specific warning by Met Éireann for thunderstorms...
    Weather Warning

Issued at 04 August 2012 - 08:55
    Thunderstorm Warning
    Localised thunderstorm activity expected today with some torrential downpours.

Funny... none of the graphics on the ireland map have thunderstorm symbols though? hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

thanks iancar,i'll let them know,maybe she can get some photos if anything happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

We got heavy hail here already. This could be an epic day for some in the parts of south/south east. I see Met Éireann have a Thunderstorm Warning out again with Torrential downpours. I've a family wedding today with reception in Carlow so could be very exciting to look at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Last thing the SE needs at harvest time is Hail. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

The lack of solar heating could stop things form really exploding here today:(...so hope I'm wrong

there appears to be a whirlpool of storms fixated on cork city right now, seriously going around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

there appears to be a whirlpool of storms fixated on cork city right now, seriously going around in circles.

Just spotted that when I was out and about earlier...Some of those clouds look real nasty...Was waiting for a funnel to pop out of one or two of them.

Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

No thunder activity showing up on any lightning detectors just heavy showers, dont think we will see as many storms as yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement