Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Strikes quite widespread across the UK now. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.htmls

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Aerohead wrote: »
    No thunder activity showing up on any lightning detectors just heavy showers, dont think we will see as many storms as yesterday

Storms didn't really kick off until mid-afternoon yesterday so I'd give it an hour or so and I would expect to see some activity.

Looking at radar there is a fantastic arc of heavy showers, starting from Kildare, thru' Athlone, around just east of Galway city, down to west Clare and down to Kerry and west Cork. Might see a bit of activity on that line first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Just had a loud blast of thunder over Galway Bay just missing the City at present but getting very dark to the East of Galway so we might see some action later.

Sky over the Bay and to the East is pitch black but nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

My village seems to be just to the north of the spawning ground for a lot of cells in that big arc from Clare/Galway to north Kildare. In work at the moment but have the camera pointing out my office window in a WSW direction. Recording a timleapse for the day so if I am in a clear slot beside the building showers, it might make for interesting viewing later on. here's hoping :)

A couple of strikes kicking off now on that arc of heavy showers - Kerry, Clare and around Athlone. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html Look at the UK - it's a mess! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Have had a few brief but very heavy showers here a few miles south of Nenagh in North Tipp.

We're on a flight path and planes almost always fly SE->NW but at approx 12.30 I saw one flying NE->SW which is very unusual. Would this possibly be due to the weather conditions?

jprboy wrote: »
    We're on a flight path and planes almost always fly SE->NW but at approx 12.30 I saw one flying NE->SW which is very unusual. Would this possibly be due to the weather conditions?

I wouldn't think so - they generally fly 'above' the weather. There are also flight paths N to S like from Scandinavia to Cannaries (and the like).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

sun blazing here in youghal while to my south i see a huge bank of dark clouds that seem to be stuck behind a shield

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Some massive bangs all around me at the moment, thunder coming from two different directions :)

Extremely heavy rain here at the moment, heaviest I've seen it in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

A friend of mine is about 15 minutes from the summit of Mount Errigal in Donegal. I have expressed my jealousy to her as to the amazing views she'll have of the thunderstorms around 15 - 20 km away from her! I told her to take plenty of pics. I'd say the views of the storms are something else from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

Pangea wrote: »
    Some massive bangs all around me at the moment, thunder coming from two different directions :)
    Where abouts in the country are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

highdef wrote: »
    A friend of mine is about 15 minutes from the summit of Mount Errigal in Donegal. I have expressed my jealousy to her as to the amazing views she'll have of the thunderstorms around 15 - 20 km away from her! I told her to take plenty of pics. I'd say the views of the storms are something else from there.

Thinking of bailing up to viewpoint in Dublin mountains myself, keeping a close eye on things and camera at the ready

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

In glaslough in Monaghan a few rumbles now, had a short downpour a while ago and the sky getting dark again

robclay26 wrote: »
    Where abouts in the country are you?

Donegal
    See strikes here
    http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

A dry afternoon and evening here so far, had 10mm of rain earlier on, over 6mm during the night.
    Just posting to say there was a weak funnel cloud, had no camera, it was to my west about 4 to 5 miles north of Kilkenny city.
    It didn't last too long but a definite funnel formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Very warm in Dublin 4. Beautiful afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Torrential rain showers, very grey skies, thunder rumbling and lightning flashing!! what an afternoon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

There was some nice rumbles of thunder in a shower that passed to the Southeast of Castlebar around 1920.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Thunder snow in cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

There was some nice rumbles of thunder in a shower that passed to the Southeast of Castlebar around 1920.

That was over 90 years ago :P

Dublin 4 stayed warm and dry for the day. By the sounds of some reports the odd thunder storm might have been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Sorry Nabber,i should of said 7.20pm lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Anybody remember this? :) This day in 2003, (5th Aug) some pretty powerful thunderstorms developed over the northern half of Ireland in particular.

Recorded sferics for the month of August 03 from the UK Met:

215804.png

Although that map shows accumulated strikes for the month, most if not all of them occurred one just one day - the 5th.

I was working nightshift at this time and was just in the door settling down to watch some TV to relax (it was around 9am in the morning) when I heard some distant booms. I thought it was odd as there wasn't a cloud in the sky when I was driving home from Galway, in fact is was a very warm if not hot glorious summer's morning. When I looked out, the sky was mostly clear but could see some really high cumulus bubbling up over towards my SE. I still remember how stark and striking they looked in the morning sun.

Within 15 minutes, the clouds had exploded and brought a storm of astonishing ferocity. Lightning with thunderclaps literally every 5 - and often less- seconds for about 10-15 minutes. This was the most intense storm I had seen since that of June '86 (but still not a patch on it). Electricity went and later that day heard first hand accounts of a tornado touching down just south of town on the N17. The rain that accompanied that particular storm I have not seen anything like before or since. I remember watching the rain being blown from a NW direction as the clouds moved rapidly towards the NW which was amazing to watch.

When the storm moved away the site of overhanging mamamtus clouds is something I will never forget. By about 10.30am, the storm cloud had moved on and it was back to the dark blue hazy skies and it turned out to be a very hot day. It really was as if nothing had happened at all that morning. Very bizarre, but very memorable! I remember watching the weather forecast later that evening and the radar they showed showed some incredible returns over much of the areas affected in the chart above so while it was bad here, it seemed that parts of Ulster especially got even more intense storms later that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

only one wrote: »
    Thunder snow in cork
    Lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

think just heard thunder in rathnew

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Some thunder and lightning over Wicklow uplands now, it's all behind me in this cell
    0acd51ee.jpg
    From radar it's stretching from west of Newtown down to north Wexford

vickers209 wrote: »
    think just heard thunder in rathnew

Have a look towards Ashford, the cell is behind us in the hills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Have a look towards Ashford, the cell is behind us in the hills

Ya see it looks very dark alright see it on rain radar too

WEB_radar2_201208051200.png

127.8mm/hr, garden under water in minutes