Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Dublin Airport did report a thunderstorm with no rain at 3 am.

METAR EIDW 120200Z 09004KT 9999 TS FEW016 FEW018CB SCT050 14/14 Q1011 NOSIG=

Though the synop report for the same time reported thunderstorm with light to moderate rain! A bit of a contradiction there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like a heavier pulse of rain/cell just SE of Carnsore Pt/Wexford producing some sferics now. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

Iancar29 wrote: »
    robclay26 wrote: »
    Photo of lightning just west of Trim

AWh cool when was that? :)
    Last night about midnight

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like a heavier pulse of rain/cell just SE of Carnsore Pt/Wexford producing some sferics now.

Looking at the UKMO detector, 4 recent strikes roughly between Rosslare and Pembroke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

some recent activity in the midlands, any reports?
    http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

some recent activity in the midlands, any reports?
    http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Was a serious downpour around Athlone there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ravomix

Looks like an eventful week ahead,lets hope it can live up 2 its promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

There was some torrential downpours in Castlebar around lunchtime today,was in work looking out the window,serious rain!! Mind you,it was a nice afternoon/evening after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Think this classes for an alert... Parameters are coming together for some severe thunderstorms early tomorrow in the midlands,west & north west leading into the afternoon.

Decent cape and deep layer shear will help any storms that initiate organise well and with high low level shear.. some supercells are possible under those conditions, hence a tornado cannot be ruled out either!

216738.png

216739.png

As stated the main areas of main interest will be were the main parameters overlap ... so again central counties running up to the NW

Still no forecast out on Estofex yet but id be shocked not to see a level one at least over us if these charts keep up come morning.

..... Grrrr WISH I HAD A CAR!!! :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Could be an interesting afternoon in the north west if this is in any way accurate, everything will most likely miss me but it'll make for some regular radar watching all the same

120813121212.gif

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    Could be an interesting afternoon in the north west if this is in any way accurate, everything will most likely miss me but it'll make for some regular radar watching all the same

You not able to get out and chase??

This chart is just horrible for me to look at!!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/207463/216745.png

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

What models you looking at Ian? Come of them dont agree all that well with the charts above...

sirpsycho wrote: »
    What models you looking at Ian? Come of them dont agree all that well with the charts above...

They are GFS charts... the dls and lls charts do have greatest values to the NE but still where the cape and li overlap theres sufficient amount there too.
    Things could kick off at first light in the morning in the midlands...

* gets on bike *.... should be there by morning time i think.. ha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

You not able to get out and chase??

This chart is just horrible for me to look at!!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/207463/216745.png

Yeah I should be able to get out for a while but thunderstorms have a habit of dodging me no matter where I am so I'm not getting my hopes up. Might catch something if I'm lucky so I'll keep the camera with me for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Thunder & lightning for the last couple of minutes in Tipp, is awesome, the rolls of thunder are going on for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Nice stuff around the Tipp area now. Just had an intense downpour in Kilkenny

Pretty amazing stuff woke me up. Some of the worst/best:D thunder and lightning I've experienced here in 25 years.:D Dogs going mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Pretty amazing stuff woke me up. Some of the worst/best:D thunder and lightning I've experienced here in 25 years.:D Dogs going mental.

It's pretty good isn't it! I'm outside of Thurles, is rumbling away overhead. Seems to be heading off east though. Was woken by the lightning, thought I was going a bit crazy until the thunder rolled :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Tipp/kk border here the light out on the landing is flickering thunder like I have not heard in years woke me up from a deep sleep .

Looks like there are 3 seperate cells producing sparks at the moment. One north of Dungarvan, another on the Tipp/Kilkenny border and another around south Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fitefuaite

Thunder and lightning in portlaoise at the moment. I was woken up from my slumber by it. Thunder was deafening at one stage!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Loving it here in south laois indeed:D..Incredible rain with loads of thunder and lightning

GUYS be on the alert for funnel clouds! , this is some storm!!

269601_511576762192043_730360264_n.jpg

.......this is some storm!!

Of course Dublin escapes all the action yet again! :mad:

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Of course Dublin escapes all the action yet again! :mad:

I KNEW i shouldve gotten on my feckin bike last nigth!!!! GRRRR!!!!!

Seriously though some crazy rain rates in this!!! at least 70mm per hour in places!!

This is probably one of the first proper nocturnal thunderstorms of the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fitefuaite

Unbelievable rain at the moment. It sounds like continuous rumbles of thunder overhead!

Main activity now looks to be between Port Laoise and Athlone and around Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

It's circling over Tullamore for the last 45 mins it seems! Scared the be jaysus out of me and woke the whole house! Pretty cool though. :D

Wow.....

216760.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

In Kilbeggan, also got woken by the thunder. Have never heard it so loud! (not far from Tullamore)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement