Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Around Tullamore seems to be the spot at the moment. At least 8 strikes in the last 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Plane just reported being struck by lightning on DA ATC

... TWO PLANES NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 robertfoster1

Just outside Tullamore too and never seen so much lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

It doesn't seem to be moving on at all! Loads of lightning, one every 5mins or so I'd say. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Few strikes to the east of Edenderry, Rain is epic. Just seen a tall tree being struck, great way to start Monday morning. :D

• Advertisement

demakinz wrote: »
    Few strikes to the east of Edenderry, Rain is epic. Just seen a tall tree being struck, great way to start Monday morning. :D

.... tumblr_m6zmb4wmNd1r6jkako2_500.gif

Im jealous!! :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Iancar29 wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

DOCARCH wrote: »

+1

Me three. Just East of it in North Kildare. Can hear very faint rumbles if I strain my ears. Why didn't we move to Portlaios :(

Think its passed north now, one word wow. One clap of thunder literally shock the front door of the house. More please Miss Nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

DOCARCH wrote: »
    +1
    Penname wrote: »
    Me three. Just East of it in North Kildare. Can hear very faint rumbles if I strain my ears. Why didn't we move to Portlaios :(

And then there were four!

jealous as hell here in D3, where it only ever seems to mizzle !

• Advertisement

We still have the rest of the day to hope for here later...the sun still has all its goodness to give ! Keep the faith!

* turns on storm magnet * :)

We still have the rest of the day to hope for here later...the sun still has all its goodness to give ! Keep the faith!

Very true!

Activity over the midlands seems to be dying down now.

Drizzle storm and lots of slugs here - that's about the height of excitment this morning in south Dublin! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

What a way to be woken this morning, areas around thurles are swamped with rain, motorway is impassible near cashel and lots of smaller roads are just about passable in a jeep! Near continuous thunder at one stage, I'd like to see the hourly totals around here. Thought I was back in oz there for awhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

In navan now heading towards kells, cavan area camera at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Onservations requested from north Connacht and west Ulster, readers take note that conditions appear prime for severe thunderstorm with large hail, intense lightning and possible small tornado moving north or NNW across parts of Leitrim, Sligo, Donegal, Derry, Tyrone, Fermanagh, nw Cavan, north Roscommon. Now to about 1030h before weakening or motion offshore.

Please include wind obs if at all possible and a location.

Added at 0915h ... most likely to see severe storm Enniskillen to Omagh and west into south Donegal.

Nice animation of this mornings radar. Fair play Iancar spot on with the forecast.

storm13-08-12.gif

System appears to have de-electrified. Last stirke was approx. 1 hour ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Your limitless supply of optimism is infectious Ian. Bring on the thunderbolts and lightening. C'mon sky! Do your worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Next time we in the NE get action I'll bring ya out in my car Ian! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

First time I have seen a light blue return (rain >16mm) on Met Eireann's radar. Small patch in central Cavan.

216787.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Caught some footage of the storm from my IP camera this morning. Didn't get much as there was a power cut at some stage. I've blurred the photo for privacy reasons but there was lightning at 6.17 and you can see the intensity of the lightning at 6.22!

LightningBlur.jpg

V_Moth wrote: »
    First time I have seen a light blue return (rain >16mm) on Met Eireann's radar. Small patch in central Cavan.

OH there was many a more greater than 16mm ...

Heres 2 at 6.20 registering >80mm ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got a 110mm/hr here... http://www.laoisweather.com/wxgraphs.php ...at the bottom of the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Nice one Danno, I see temps dropped 2C as it arrived and there was almost dead calm before it. Great stuff.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Apparently the lightning effected trains in the midlands:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0813/breaking14.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8 benej10

Absolutely torrential rainfall this morning between Birr and Tullamore and Portarlington as I had to drive it this morning. Must of had been at least 10 flashes of lightening if not more. Got caught right in the middle of it. Scary stuff especially trying to see where you are going on the road. Visibility was very poor. Nearly got stuck in the floods in Geashill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

This was the hirLam rainfall forecast for this morning that I saved last night and forgot to post. Proved to be fairly accurate give or take an hour or two.

216794.JPG

Danno wrote: »
    Got a 110mm/hr here... http://www.laoisweather.com/wxgraphs.php ...at the bottom of the page.

Great stuff man.... one reason why i dislike Met Eireann's radar , there should be at least a key for >30mm
    Apparently the lightning effected trains in the midlands:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0813/breaking14.html

GRRRRR..... I want to send them a complaint... its spelt LIGHTNING!!!!
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

That whole system went to the west of Kilkenny, which was great as we didn't need the rainfall, the lightning would be great without the rain...fixes nitrogen so a bit of free fertilizer.
    So yeah the Hirlam was pretty accurate, I just pity the poor farmers who got all that rainfall, the radar said it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Danno wrote: »

Great stuff man.... one reason why i dislike Met Eireann's radar , there should be at least a key for >30mm :
    Looking at the radar the areas getting >16mm ph are pretty small.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement