Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

sferic_20120813.gif
    found the met eireann report for yesterday, I'm in the little strip at the bottom, blue and purpleish... Still no phone, satellite broadband, or sky, none of them will be fixed in a while it seems, so bring on tomorrow...:) (but please storm, don't blow the roof off the shed...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Showers developing rapidly as ares of instability make landfall? http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Maybe a few sparks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Some websites are picking up occasional lightning in this current rain band.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

:eek::eek::eek:

217113.png

A friend of mine lives in Milton Keynes!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!

EDIT!: My friend just reported thunder over in Firhouse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ravomix

A loud rumble of thunder in mid tipp about 10 minutes ago(thurles area)torrential rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd say it's tipping down a fair bit there :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ravomix

Hal1 wrote: »
    I'd say it's tipping down a fair bit there :p.

it 'tipped' it down for about 15 minutes and just the one clap.Its 2 breezy for any significant action at the moment imo.I'm hopeful that 2moro evening mite be favourable for a big thunderstorm event like last Monday morning.

Any other type of weather is better than this anti cyclonic gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Hal1 wrote: »
    Any other type of weather is better than this anti cyclonic gloom.

:confused:

Sun, blue skies, bubbling cumulas clouds...I.E. the opposite of today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Seen one flash of lighting hear around 20mins ago...none since.

Some nice potential for some storms tonight again in the Midlands ... and even in the East!! :D

They will struggle to initiate at first but if they do theres an abundance of DLS and LLS for some SERIOUS structured storms ! :D
    Plus the hi res here is probably hinting at some orographic lift to get things going in the east! :)

217263.png

If anyone wants to try chase this evening id gladly help with petrol costs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Hey Ian do you think theres a chance of thunder down my way in south west
    Wexford?

Yup... If i was you id go somewhere high to get a good view of storms not only heading ur way but ones that pass over too. FIngers crossed :)

Nice one ,have you any thunder buzz words so i can google and learn a bit.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

looks interesting for the south east tonight. bah :( pity i'll be in cork

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Ha Ha.:p
    Better be good tonight in the south east,last time i remember a good thunder storm was back in the 80s.
    :D

Ahh now now... dont loose all hope! :)

217274.png

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Met Eireanns 3 hour forecast map for 15.00
    http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/3hr-rain.gif
    shows the predicted heavy rain further west than the NAE, will this rain be countrywide or heaviest in the East as the NAE predicted?

Well it looks intense on the latest 3 hour forecast now and heading for the south west it looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Yup... If i was you id go somewhere high to get a good view of storms not only heading ur way but ones that pass over too. FIngers crossed :)

I know you have experience at chasing storms but I've always heard that the last place you want to be is in a high exposed area during an electrical storm or anywhere near trees.

Unless of course you mean staying in your car?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Northern Ireland hogging all the action again today, one strike over Buncrana in Inishowen as well

37235009.png

Some nice upgrades to the netweather radar yesterday as well, lightning overlay and satellite maps are now free to use :)

Met Eireanns 3 hour forecast map for 15.00
    http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/3hr-rain.gif
    shows the predicted heavy rain further west than the NAE, will this rain be countrywide or heaviest in the East as the NAE predicted?

Well it looks intense on the latest 3 hour forecast now and heading for the south west it looks like

I always find the NAE pretty accurate, sure the timeframe isnt till around 7pm onwards and Met Eireann will hav there next 3hr forecast out by then.
    I know you have experience at chasing storms but I've always heard that the last place you want to be is in a high exposed area during an electrical storm or anywhere near trees.

Unless of course you mean staying in your car?

Haha ye true true! ... You'd really want to have internet connection to see the radar . But yes, if the storm is putting down bolts which the thunder is less than a few seconds away then be best to stay in your car.

go to 1.00 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Ahh now now... dont loose all hope! :)

217274.png

:D excellent feel safer in the house anyway. bring on the light show. although it would have to be some show to beat the june 28th thunderstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

:D excellent feel safer in the house anyway. bring on the light show. although it would have to be some show to beat the june 28th thunderstorm.

Is this for Cork tonight??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

HIRLAM models have most of the heavy rain falling further west than Cork City and extending up into Galway and Mayo, small margins though so every chance the city will see something

First signs of the rain showing up on the radar now but the heavier stuff isn't due for another few hours

Looks like a total mess guys... :( ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Crap! Was just leaving the house to go see Batman when the drops started. If heavier stuff is expected later I might be as well off inside. I was thinking it was a heavy band for an hour and then a clearance. I'm not seeing much lightening activity associated with this so far. Any indicators that cells will develop?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks like a total mess guys... :( ....

How do you mean?its gonna get worse?

How do you mean?its gonna get worse?

no no.. theres no discrete looking cells that look thundery.. there wasnt enough instability....

Ah sure... 2moro is another day :)

• Advertisement

HERE WE GO AGAIN! :D .... Hoping for some clearance 2moro!!!
    showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2012081806_201208161822_1_stormforecast.xml

Storm Forecast
    Valid: Fri 17 Aug 2012 06:00 to Sat 18 Aug 2012 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Thu 16 Aug 2012 18:22
    Forecaster: TUSCHY
    A level 1 was issued for parts of the UK mainly for a strong to severe wind gust and tornado event.

A level 1 was issued for Ireland mainly for an isolated large hail event.

SYNOPSIS and DISCUSSION

Downstream of an intense cyclonic vortex west of Ireland, WAA spreads to the northeast with a substantial increase of the 500 geopotential heights, reinforcing another omega-like pattern over Europe. A quasi-stationary longwave trough over E-Europe builds more to the south, reaching the E-Mediterranean with subtle height falls during the end of the forecast. Cool and unsettled conditions prevail over N-Europe.

Many places over N/E Europe see some thunderstorm activity, mainly daytime driven and sub-severe. Marginal hail and strong wind gusts accompany those storms.

A belt of strong SW-erlies (e.g. 30 m/s at 500 hPa) still affects Ireland/UK and Scotland. A first surface wave/trough and attendant pronounced warm front cross those areas from SW to NE during the day with pretty robust moisture advection forecast. Mid-level lapse rates remain marginal next to expected thick cloud cover, limiting any diabatic heating until noon. Thereafter, some clearing in the posfrontal warm sector is expected and forecast soundings indicate not much modification is needed for some MLCAPE build-up. HIRLAM and GFS both show another surface wave, placed just S of Ireland during the afternoon hours, again inserting some more backing in the BL flow. This assists in the infiltration of a better mixed LL air mass from N-France towards S-UK, where a decrease of dewpoints and an increase of the LCL can be seen during the afternoon. LCLs however remain well below 1000 m just along and south of the warm front over N-C UK. Both, the warm sector and the frontal boundary itself reveal great shear (both directional and speed shear), so if adequate clearing along/south of the warm front occurs, an isolated thunderstorm event is possible with a risk of producing severe wind gusts and an isolated tornado. Coverage probably remains limited with ongoing weak NVA over the area of interest. We also monitor the progress of a dry slot feature, which moves towards Ireland during the afternoon, so some better CAPE and enhanced thunderstorm activity is possible over Irland. 20 m/s DLS may allow a few storms to become better organized with isolated large hail and strong wind gusts. Therefore, a broad lightning area and a second level 1 were added. The thunderstorm and severe risk diminishes after sunset.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement