Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

:oPlease don't let there be more lightning my way....

I love lightning and thunder but I'm here since Monday without phone line, internet (sh***y dongle), and TV, and also discovered our solar panel box is gone, after the Monday "electrical" storm... we're guessing it got in via Solar panels, house is well fused up and fuse did go, but it still grilled all of the above.. bit peeved at the fricking storms now tbh.

Plug out everything people if you're in the line of storm, it's all fun and game till someone looses an eye ... errh... or t'internet...:pac::mad::o

Thanks Iancar and others for the updates, keeping an eye on here, and take care up on those hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Thunderstorm risk chart for tomorrow. Based on nothing more than bitter personal experience.

217361.png

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Thunderstorm risk chart for tomorrow. Based on nothing more than bitter personal experience.

217361.png

:D Trust me DE you could point that arrow this way as well,very disappointing considering the potential that we've had :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Intentionally or not, you managed to get my house in there too! :mad::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Tell you what guys, today really is looking good for thunderstorms and funnels up through the southeastern half of the country and the Irish Sea. The Lightningwizard Hirlam and GFS are the nicest I've seen for a long time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Good News Su.

Will take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

so i cork a definite today for a thunderstorm?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sunbabe08 wrote: »

I'd love those big huge black clouds (so black that it makes it look like it's night time) and RIDICULOUSLY heavy rain but I suppose there's no hope of that?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like southeastern region and coastal areas of the east.

The stuff is approaching the southeast now, off Cornwall. Will ramp up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Awell helloooooooooo there.... :pac:

217375.png

217378.png

Slightly worried about a trigger today hopefully the sky clears a good bit after the first band of showers...

ONce again if anyone in the dublin region wants to go drive try catch some of these possible storms ..let us know :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Netweather
    More storms in the forecast today. #Ireland in particular could see some severe ones. Detailed storm forecast: 

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

sunbabe08 wrote: »

I guarantee no electrics within 25 miles more like 75 miles :(

Met Eireann however say that the biggest risk of thunderstorms today is in the South and the Midlands - so maybe, never know:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Slightly worried about a trigger today hopefully the sky clears a good bit after the first band of showers...

Yip....need the sun to come out first to get a bit of surface heating to get things going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Sun beginning to break through here in laois so fingers crossed..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

lovely sunny morning in athlone at the moment ;) come on....build that heat up!

Will be driving between Athlone and Dublin this afternoon/evening and back again so hopefully see something nice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

lovely sunny morning in athlone at the moment ;) come on....build that heat up!

Will be driving between Athlone and Dublin this afternoon/evening and back again so hopefully see something nice

Keep your camera close by too.......even Martin King said the thunder is due in the Midlands

Sat looking good for a bit of clearance too.. :)

http://www.sat24.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Seems to be clearing nicely now, lots of breaks in the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,205 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Quick question, for good convection to take place to build up storm clouds, does the sun need to get good direct heat to the surface land/sea or is a good climbing ambient temperature with instability produce similar results?

Hope you see what Im getting at, ie in Dublin this morning its overcast with a good amount of low cloud, yet the temperature is 18C at 10am and climbing and humidity is very high. Could we see some sparks without the sun getting through to the surface?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    I'd love those big huge black clouds (so black that it makes it look like it's night time) and RIDICULOUSLY heavy rain but I suppose there's no hope of that?:o

that would be the dream alright. *sigh*

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Quick question, for good convection to take place to build up storm clouds, does the sun need to get good direct heat to the surface land/sea or is a good climbing ambient temperature with instability produce similar results?

Hope you see what Im getting at, ie in Dublin this morning its overcast with a good amount of low cloud, yet the temperature is 18C at 10am and climbing and humidity is very high. Could we see some sparks without the sun getting through to the surface?
    Solar heating is one lift mechanism but not the only one, orogaphic lift, low level moisture advection and upper (QG) forcing are others.

Cautiously optimistic ...:D

217393.png

Can see some lenies forming over towards the mountains now... good sign of orographic lift in place :)

Some sferics kicking off in west Cork/Kerry now..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

All I can say is that it feels thundery here! Very still and humid. 21.0c, mostly cloudy and a RH of 83%.

Su Campu wrote: »

On their way eastwards?:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Su Campu wrote: »
    There was only heavy rain no thunder. heading north now

mp22 wrote: »
    There was only heavy rain no thunder. heading north now

Sorry, looks like thunder to me...
    217406.png

Very humid here indeed.. just back from walking the dog and im sweltering..
    fingers crossed something heads this way later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Sorry, looks like thunder to me...

Recorded here too

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at its movement its tracking North, possible chance of that hitting Galway Please!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement