Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Very could setup for organised storms this afternoon in the west and NW. Estofex hav it highlighted nicely though I think its more of a 50% lightning risk instead of 20% . Can't post charts as I'm off to work but hi res has some nice cells popping up from midday :) *shakes fist at the west! * :)

http://www.estofex.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Very could setup for organised storms this afternoon in the west and NW. Estofex hav it highlighted nicely though I think its more of a 50% lightning risk instead of 20% . Can't post charts as I'm off to work but hi res has some nice cells popping up from midday :) *shakes fist at the west! * :)

Out in the middle of nowhere/roscommon and we just had a distant rumble of thunder out towards castlerea direction. Hopefully get some more closer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

There doesn't seem to be much heat around here today for good convection Ian, overcast all morning.

Out in the middle of nowhere/roscommon and we just had a distant rumble of thunder out towards castlerea direction. Hopefully get some more closer

Nothing registered on the radar ATM .... But England .... A train of a storm rolling into london! LOADS of sparks from it!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nothing registered on the radar ATM .... But England .... A train of a storm rolling into london! LOADS of sparks from it!! :(

yeah we only had the one and we had a real heavy shower after it. But blue skies agsin now. And very dark stuff in the distance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I'm out in West Galway at the moment and it's absolutely belting down, can hardly see in front of you it's so heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Just had the mother of all rain storm here in Galway City, floods all over the place you could hardly see on front of you, sadly no sparks I was sure there would have been as it got very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some heavy returns in the west on the raintoday.co.uk radar. No sign of any sparks apart from up around Mayo/Sligo area.217583.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

There have been some amazing cloud bursts here today, didn't hear/see any thunder or lightning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

few rumbles here in the last 30 minutes with heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Like EskimoKat some pretty big showers here today but no thunder. An earlier shower brought a 126mm/hr rain rate and one just gone gave a 228mm/hr rain rate, the 2nd time this month that I have recorded a 200mm/hr + rain rate.

Hourly rain reports from my Davis station for this afternoon:

217605.PNG

A total of 19.6mm so far today, 13.0mm of which fell in the hour up 6.30pm.

PS, please ignore date stamp, my Davis is lagging a day behind regarding this for some reason and haven't got around to setting it to the right date yet.

Edit: and the heavens have just opened up again..bring it on!

Some torrential rain that fell there now outside my house!

My WH1080 was showing the rain rate to be 32.44 mm/hr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Nice looking car in the back ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Ye nice car, what make is that? That video could sum up our entire summer so far!

Btw I dunno if my geography is off but I thought the county was called simply "Derry" rather than Londonderry (as the title of your video says)? The latter I thought is only officially used for the name of the city which was built by the "London" companies during the plantations - obviously the county itself wasn't built by them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

rc28 wrote: »
    Ye nice car, what make is that? That video could sum up our entire summer so far!

Btw I dunno if my geography is off but I thought the county was called simply "Derry" rather than Londonderry (as the title of your video says)? The latter I thought is only officially used for the name of the city which was built by the "London" companies during the plantations - obviously the county itself wasn't built by them?

Different people call things different things. Lets not make this into a political argument. Case closed. No further posts on the matter in here please. :);) Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Different people call things different things. Lets not make this into a political argument. Case closed. No further posts on the matter in here please. :);) Cheers

Apologies, I *genuinely* wasn't trying to be political (I'm really not that kind of person).

Google doesn't have any straight answers either :(

I've no idea what kind of car it is, all I know is that it's really old as it has pop out things for indicators LOL! It barely moved as well in a few years, thing should really be garaged as well, just going to rot away sitting there in this weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Some torrential rain that fell there now outside my house!

My WH1080 was showing the rain rate to be 32.44 mm/hr

Nice video TC. What is that strange sound from about 2.45 mins onwards? It's kinda weird and scary sounding!

I'm would be pretty certain that it's cars/40 footers driving on the road behind that row of houses where that ole car is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Ye nice car, what make is that?

It's an Austin Sheerline from the late 40's.

• Advertisement

A nice broad area of instability for tomorrow . It sure looks like pulse type storms could pop up anywhere . I'd guess the best place though would be anywhere right up the east coast and in the NW too . Hoping i get something out of this, something photogenic , Too much to ask for??????? :o

217744.png

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Given the disappointment so far this summer in terms of thunderstorms around the east coast, I'll believe it when I hear it / see it!

Given the disappointment so far this summer in terms of thunderstorms around the east coast, I'll believe it when I hear it / see it!

Indeed!.... More of this would be NICE!!!! :)

525649_10150937515836718_1841986030_n.jpg

GFS Forecasted Skew - T for Dublin tommorrow at 1500 :)

217779.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Whopper shower just seemed to come out of the blue in DN 20

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Whopper shower just seemed to come out of the blue in DN 20

Can see the clouds tops from that shower here. Heavy looking shower alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Can see some nice clouds over towards the west of dublin. Sunny and warm here in Dublin 4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Mother of all downpours here in Naas atm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

pad199207 wrote: »
    Mother of all downpours here in Naas atm

thats heading my way right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Theres a good deal with it too

Naas a few mins ago

[tweet https://twitter.com/LiveNaasWeather/status/237620715556311041]

This discussion has been closed.