Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

More showers developing along that line now.

Massive downpour here now:)

the heavens have opened its really really heavy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

UKMO radar now showing two showers with a core rain rate >32mm/hr.

If one has hit Lucan they will probably miss here! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

That is fantastic. Was glorious evening and then deluge. Sorry, in lucan.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    UKMO radar now showing two showers with a core rain rate >32mm/hr.

If one has hit Lucan they will probably miss here! :mad:

oh its hit here alright, satellite went for a minute or two .

Still lashing down

delighted I dont have to water the garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Looks like its over lucan just skimming here,and heading for airport, don't know but I feel there is something electrical in them clouds lol..

jimmynokia wrote: »
    ....and heading for airport...

:mad: Ahhh.

please please God of the rains, let us have some more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The heavens have opened here in d15...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Jake1 wrote: »
    please please God of the rains, let us have some more :)

Yea, but it was great Jake. Thunder confirmed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah sky is looking a touch biblical for last 20 mins here, just started to rain moderately hete as i type

That's turned into a monster shower! Heading for north Dublin. :o No sparks though (yet).

What do you have to do to get a proper shower around these parts. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Docarch is right, its a sky that looks like it should be giving up more than it is. Quite heavy here now but i think im right on the edge of it, maybe 20mm/hr. id be interested to hear from Castleknock/ Cabra

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:D yep heard thunder as well, not aloud enough though pity,,,

I love the smell of the air after a load of rain. :)

glossy wrote: »
    :D yep heard thunder as well, not aloud enough though pity,,,

Nothing showing on the lightning detectors? Wheelie bins? :D

Crows are fleeing the trees in D15, hopefully a bit of lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Nothing showing on the lightning detectors? Wheelie bins? :D

nope wheelies bins well secured what ever the weather :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Jake1 wrote: »
    I love the smell of the air after a load of rain. :)

Petrichor is the scent of rain on dry earth. The word is constructed from Greek, petra, meaning stone + ichor, the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology. :)
    glossy wrote: »
    nope wheelies bins well secured what ever the weather :D

Dont think ya heard any pal , at its most intense it was right in front of me... must of been NINJA Wheelie bins!

Got some nice pics of the cell... on the way shortly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

Almost upon me and it's still enlarging and intensifying. No sparks here yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Where the hell did that come from ??

Checked rainfall radar before leaving work - nothing, and blue skies. Then found myself driving towards something resembling a huge 5 - 10 mile wide wedge tornado (without the spin) throwing out one of the biggest rain curtains to its west that I've ever seen shrouding right across my view of the mountains. Then when getting under it driving through biblical rain near Lucan - streams of cars coming towards you with hazards lights on is never a good sign - R149 badly flooded, and driving under an apocalytic cloudscape all the way to Kildare with visible cloud bursts never far away, mad shelf clouds and fingers hanging out of it all the way. No sparks from it though. Looking the rainfall radar now it seems to be forming a line along the Naas Road / M7 and I'm after driving right down the line under it. And it's intensifying...:eek:

There was a definite strange smell in the air particularly when driving into it.

Poor farmers with their loads of hay in the deluge, I'm sure they weren't expecting it.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Petrichor is the scent of rain on dry earth. The word is constructed from Greek, petra, meaning stone + ichor, the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology. :)

Cheers!! I did not know that.

Petrichor... :)

Not wrote: »
    Where the hell did that come from ??

Checked rainfall radar before leaving work - nothing, and blue skies. Then found myself driving towards something resembling a huge 5 - 10 mile wide wedge tornado (without the spin) throwing out one of the biggest rain curtains to its west that I've ever seen shrouding right across my view of the mountains. Then when getting under it driving through biblical rain near Lucan - streams of cars coming towards you with hazards lights on is never a good sign - R149 badly flooded, and driving under an apocalytic cloudscape all the way to Kildare with visible cloud bursts never far away, mad shelf clouds and fingers hanging out of it all the way. No sparks from it though. Looking the rainfall radar now it seems to be forming a line along the Naas Road / M7 and I'm after driving right down the line under it. And it's intensifying...:eek:

There was a definite strange smell in the air particularly when driving into it.

Poor farmers with their loads of hay in the deluge, I'm sure they weren't expecting it.

Shortwave trough with a late jet streak... if only it happened earlier with more surface heating! :(

Heres the photos :)

419792_10151184671026718_330599090_n.jpg

225099_10151184671631718_2098652236_n.jpg

292358_10151184672096718_1742277098_n.jpg

551212_10151184705401718_2071198595_n.jpg

Things are getting interesting on radar near Athy

Strike near NAvan apparently?... away from the rain and all!.. anyone hear /see anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Things are getting interesting on radar near Athy

Strike near NAvan apparently?... away from the rain and all!.. anyone hear /see anything?

Looks like its forming a circle on the radar over south east Meath !

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Absolutely pouring here in Dunshaughlin, Meath :eek: It was such a nice day up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

is it just me or do Drogheda get fecking everything !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

that squall line came out of no where. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

That line of showers looks almost identical in both its development and structure to what happen here yesterday evening. Weird.

• Advertisement

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    that squall line band of showers came out of no where. :eek:
    ;)

Its was triggered by a late evening low level jet. :)

That line of showers looks almost identical in both its development and structure to what happen here yesterday evening. Weird.

Hopefully 2moro will bring many a sparky sparks! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement