Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Spring/Summer 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Iancar29 wrote: »
    ;)

Its was triggered by a late evening low level jet. :)

showed up nicely on the visible sat sequence over the last couple of hours, came in very quick!

20th_Aug_LLJ.gif
    From Sat.24.com

Good luck with the sparky sparks, will watch on and seethe with envy from the thunder free wesht tomorrow :(

...as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I think Dublin City will get nothing tomorrow, certainly nothing heavy in terms of thunder and lightning - the Wicklow Mountains seems to drive away anything coming up from the South West. I think Dublin would do far better in terms of thunder etc if we had stuff coming in from the Irish Sea. In my own local area, we got a quick drenching, whereas Blanchardsdown, which is not too far away got much bigger hit. I wonder if Howth Head plays a role just on a local basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

showed up nicely on the visible sat sequence over the last couple of hours, came in very quick!

20th_Aug_LLJ.gif
    From Sat.24.com

Saving that one! , thats class...

Very jealous. We got very little here. I think maybe Dublin will get little or nothing tomorrow. The Wicklow mountains seem to drive things away from the city, and in my own locality I wonder if Howth plays a part as well?

Ah shouldnt be that bad with a similar wind direction... i was actually thinking of heading to howth for an advantage point! ha... :rolleyes:

Off to bed nows... hopefully wake up to a nice further cape upgrade in the morning and CLEAR SKIES! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

that jet missed me :D
    Actually happy about that, stepping in my garden is like walking on a wet sponge.

That's some sight though ! brilliant little gif there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

;)

Its was triggered by a late evening low level jet. :)

20th_Aug_LLJ.gif
    From Sat.24.com

Good luck with the sparky sparks, will watch on and seethe with envy from the thunder free wesht tomorrow :(

...as usual!
    I can recall some heavy clouds passing harmlessly over my area near Limerick city coming up to 9 pm. That must have been feeding the line of heavy showers towards the east coast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A few random sparks around the place already this morning.

Just hope showers do not come to extensive to early as to block out the sun/solar heating!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A few random sparks around the place already this morning.

Just hope showers do not come to extensive to early as to block out the sun/solar heating!

Apparently near Navan got a strike again?!.... or is it a glitch and just still the same one?.... Like what are the odds if its actually another one?!!!

Ye i agree, we need some nice breaks in the sky first !...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Showers already avoiding me here! :p

One heavy looking shower evaporated before it got here around 9am and looks like heavy shower to my south, over Wicklow, will pass by too.

4 strikes just recorded south of Atlone!

Catching the edge of that shower over Wicklow now.....but I want a downpour! :)

• Advertisement

4 strikes just recorded south of Atlone!

8 strikes from that cell now.

Shower passed here - just enough to wet the ground but not enough to record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Some savage showers hitting Cork now...

Looks like they could produce some sparks,and some noise....

Just all rain for now though...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ragin about that one in Athlone - never saw nor heard a thing :(

Ragin about that one in Athlone - never saw nor heard a thing :(

Ah ya serious?!.... whats the view like then now to ur NE? ..

Anyone under this!? ha

217864.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Anyone under this!? ha

Yes, and can confirm that it is as heavy as the radar image would suggest. Probably has been very heavy for 30-40 min and as a result, the roads are flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Yes, Met.ie radar showing a number of instances of >16mm/hr around the country.

We had what looked like a squall line passing through just after 11.00 here in North Tipp, just south of Nenagh. Had been a beautiful morning until then. Wind sprang out of nowhere, just caught glass vase falling from ledge near open window in kitchen, not before it took out part of a teapot lid. Very heavy rain for about 7-8 mins. No other storm damage to report :D

Look out further east !

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Thunderstorm over Athlone now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I suppose we are looking at that line over Tipp for us Dublin folk! Let's hope it ratchets up.

Sun out here now.

I bet this looks amazing to the E, NE of it!... over 100mm rates appearing on it now!

217868.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

Would love to be in Kells right now!

A passing developing CB overhead has just starting dropping its load over me. Had not even appeared on radar yet, the development is that fast.

Is it just me or does anyone notice some rather good shear with height?

The radar has just gone BANG! :D .. cells popping up now with sferics , hopefully in line for DUBLIN! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just watched a very rapidly developing shower just gone North of Naas, was huge drops in it, looks like heading in City direction!

pad199207 wrote: »
    Just watched a very rapidly developing shower just gone North of Naas, was huge drops in it, looks like heading in City direction!

Yup , that was quick on radar!!, one sferic on it too! ... im gettin hopeful! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

highdef wrote: »
    Would love to be in Kells right now!

not far from there in Kingscourt and i havent seen rain as heavy as this before....thunder and lightening as well...recording the storm and will upload it t youtube later.

looks like a river going passed my house right now.

Thunderstorm closing in here. It has just passed south of Edenderry

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

please do! and please put the link up here, would love to see that video! sky looks pretty Sh1t looking from Trim

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ah ya serious?!.... whats the view like then now to ur NE? ..

It was dark, I was just really unlucky, I happened to be inside and didnt hear a thing.

I was out for the second storm which just passed over Athlone and up the lake. A lot of thunder, but i didnt see any flashes.

storms are bad for one thing though. my internet drops everytime they pass over ;)

• Advertisement

Heading up to the bridge at lidl now here in finglas to try get some photos :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement