Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duelling in Galway

Options
  • 13-03-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

does anyone know anything about the history of duelling in Galway? all I know is the duelling field across from Anteen's woods and Humanity Dick's reputation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

There is plenty on info about members of the Martin family duelling especially Richard and Robert
    There is some info in a book called That damn'd thing called honour: duelling in Ireland, 1570-1860 which has a bit about Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Fuinseog wrote: »
    all I know is the duelling field across from Anteen's woods and Humanity Dick's reputation.

Across the road in what now is Merlin Park Hospital grounds or elsewhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Best thread title ever

(sorry I can't help)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Best thread title ever

(sorry I can't help)

well thanks for your input, though you usually make a more meaningful contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Across the road in what now is Merlin Park Hospital grounds or elsewhere ?

I have not been down that way in more than twenty years. you leave the dual carriageway and go down the side road to our right as you leave town. across from the entrance to anteen's woods (the woods used to be the traditional place to change car for those involved in robberies). I was told that was what the field was used for. why this field of all fields is mystery to me.

I hope to find the book a poster recommended and sometimes people here have little nuggets of local knowledge not available in books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rach_M

A few years ago Norbert Sheerin, released a book called "Renmore and its environs : an historical perspective" ISBN 095385910X (pbk) It is obviously about Renmore but it also had a section on the duels in Galway.

Advertisement