Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cartridge advice please

• 13-03-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi folks
    I have a technics SL1210 for home use, and am looking at changing the cartridge in the near future. It currently has a stanton 500 fitted. The type of music that I will be listening to is alternative / indie etc.

Anybody got any advice for a good cartridge reasonbly priced please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Hi folks
    I have a technics SL1210 for home use, and am looking at changing the cartridge in the near future. It currently has a stanton 500 fitted. The type of music that I will be listening to is alternative / indie etc.

Anybody got any advice for a good cartridge reasonbly priced please?

Ortofon or Sumiko would lean towards your musical tastes more than the unsubtle Stanton (but it's great for what it does for DJs). Contact Cloney Audio in Blackrock. They may even have second hand ones that could be a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Thanks for that Slaphead07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Got a Ortofon 2M Red great piece of kit if your on a budget amazing sound. Iv mine on my sL1200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Ortofon or Sumiko would lean towards your musical tastes more than the unsubtle Stanton (but it's great for what it does for DJs). Contact Cloney Audio in Blackrock. They may even have second hand ones that could be a bargain.
    Cloney are a non-starter for anything vinyl, and have been for years.

The best place for carts I've found to be this ground based in Las Vegas:

http://www.needledoctor.com/

As for the Stantons, don't knock them. Both RTE and the BBC used cheapo Stanton carts (the ones with the replaceable stylus unit) for broadcast TX on their uber-expensive EMT decks.

As for your SL1210, don't consider buying anything better than a Denon DL109 for it, you'll be wasting your money otherwise.

Advertisement