Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBT and Insurance

• 13-03-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi. Sorry if this has being asked before but I could not find the answer in other threads. Just have a quick question in relation to the IBT and doing it on my own bike. Just after getting my learners permit and am looking into getting a bike for the odd weekend spin :D. I know I have to do the IBT but I would rather do it on my own bike as I think it would be more useful to me. One thing though I am not sure of is that to get insurance with some companies I need to supply a IBT cert but I can’t do this till I do the IBT. I presume the bike I do the IBT on has to be insured and taxed. Can you get insurance and prove you have the IBT booked or is there something I need to do? I know some companies will let me insure the bike without the IBT but these are a lot more expensive. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

technically you do not have a permit until after the IBT is done...

but there are plenty of people who have done it on their own bikes, its a catch 22 type thing as you can't get insurance on the bike without proving the cert and most schools will not let you do the bit until you prove insurance..
    but what the insurance companies say on the phone will change from call to call, sometimes its worth calling back the next day and asking again, i know it helped when i was in your situation..

i think but maybe i am wrong that you can do the second part of the bit on your own bike with most schools but you have to prove thats its taxed insured and restricted if need be..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Before ibt is done the instructor will have a Pre-training check list supplied by the RSA to fill out and be signed.
    This will include fitness and legal to ride and the condition of any motorcycle and safety gear if supplied by the trainee. The trainee can use his/her own bike if they get insurance on it and it is legal. The only issue is that you cannot ride the bike to and from the ibt center. You must be signed off with your ibt cert before riding alone.
    You may get a 30 day policy from certain insurers to allow you to do it on your own bike but this isn't for you to ride around for 30 days.
    ;)
    Roadskill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

OP, as far as I know none of the insurance companies are asking for the IBT cert up front, they're doing a Quinn on it and retrospectively asking you to prove you are legally driving your bike after they have already given you insurance, much like what Quinn do about restriction certs - here's your insurance and then a month down the line, your insurance is void if you do not provide us with your restriction cert.

Some of the other insurance companies don't care about you providing an IBT cert or a restriction cert but you can be guaranteed that if you have an accident and it turns out you don't have your IBT done or your bike isn't restricted they'll wash their hands of you. Quinn are stricter because of all the messing with the Financial Regulator, they are being very closely watched so that is why they try to tie up the loose ends (which technically have nothing to do with them) early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ali H

Thanks guys for the replys. What I might try is insure the bike then do the IBT as soon as possible to have the cert for the insurance company :) I knew that I would not be able to drive to and from the IBT but that should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 1jammer2

hey .im 25 just got learner permit and bought xjr 400 , can anyone tell me an isurance company that i can get insured without showing them the ibt training has been done . i have bike sitting in garden i also have a qoute from liberty insurance ( nothing mentioned about ibt from them) but dont know if theyll want the cert wen i commit to the qoute or do they just send out documentation and then i get certain amount of time to do the training?/ also what happens if your stopped by gaurds without the cert??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

1jammer2 wrote: »
    hey .im 25 just got learner permit and bought xjr 400 , can anyone tell me an isurance company that i can get insured without showing them the ibt training has been done . i have bike sitting in garden i also have a qoute from liberty insurance ( nothing mentioned about ibt from them) but dont know if theyll want the cert wen i commit to the qoute or do they just send out documentation and then i get certain amount of time to do the training?/ also what happens if your stopped by gaurds without the cert??
    Ibt is a legal requirement just like insurance & your learner permit is. Do it right and you won't need to be looking over your shoulder all the time (apart from when you need to which you'll learn during you Ibt) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

1jammer2 wrote: »

I got insured with Liberty in december. I didnt need to have any IBT done as I got my A1 LP prior too the law. They never mentioned it too me anyways.

Id listen to roadskill though. Just do it on the centres bike. If you start cutting corners early on, imagine what itll be like a few years down the line.

Advertisement