Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long time Pay freeze - increased responsibility

Options
  • 13-03-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭

i've been in my current role for over four years now with a large multinational, on more or less the same pay rate due to company wide pay freeze. i just found out the pay freeze is continuing into 2013.

thing is my role has grown a lot in the four years, much more responsibility, wider geographic remit, bigger workload. the job title has however stayed the same.

i'm wondering what kind of position i am in to negotiate a pay rise? no problem with a pay freeze if my job stayed the same, but i feel i am underpaid atm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Depends what your contract states your work remit is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you don't ask you won't find out. Just make sure that your case for an increase in pay (and possibly a change of job title) is based on solid facts and documented good performance. That way your manager is likely to at least listen to you and so on up the chain.

If there are a lot of people in similar situations or there is a strong likelihood of others pressing for increases when word of yours gets out I'd expect them to say no regardless of whether it's justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Depends what your contract states your work remit is.

work remit isn't detailed at all. it was a generic contract. actually i just remembered there, my current job title is slightly different to what's written on my contract - the geographic bit is much larger in my current title.

e.g. - europe -> global

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

If you are going to your boss looking for a pay increase, I would have your research done. If there are other companies in your sector with similar job specifications as your, find out what they are paying their staff. Look at the recruitment websites, or talk to a recruitment consultant or two and find out what they reckon they could get you, based on your current exprience (normally take 5 - 10% off this figure to avoid recruiter inflation).

Document your tasks, roles, responsibilities in your current position. Highlight where the major changes have occurred since you started. Also, if possible, show how you have been proactive in problem solving, customer relations, etc, and mention any positive feedback that you have received from customers, managers, etc.

Finally, go to your boss. Don't bluster or threaten anything, but show logically why you deserve a raise. If he gives you a raise, or a promise of a raise, get it in writting. Also, don't go spreading around that you are looking for a raise or got a raise, as everybody will want one (it is so much easier to give one person a raise than to give a whole team a raise).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

froog wrote: »
    work remit isn't detailed at all. it was a generic contract. actually i just remembered there, my current job title is slightly different to what's written on my contract - the geographic bit is much larger in my current title.

e.g. - europe -> global

Ok, have a chat to your boss about how your role has evolved to what it is currently. I don;t know what your boss is like but initially i would informally chat to get a feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

'Tis good advice to ask - but if its' a MNC, then you boss's hands may be tied.

Are there any non-cash things that s/he could do for you instead? Are there any vacancies in other companies that you could be applying for, based on the experience you've gained?

Advertisement