Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Instant Coffee ???

• 13-03-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭

hi all, was just wondering what ye all think the best instant coffee is ?? i dont have a coffee machine at home, so im stuck with instant :pac: .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You are not stuck with instant.

For a small investment you can pick up an aeropress or a French press or a moka pot or a clever coffee dripper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 strokle

A press jug is the right idea very reasonable in any tesco. Also if you are sticking to instant and checking the pennys i find the tesco gold ok. If you want to spend the money millicano is very nice. A bit of advice on that though just buy the refill bag as it is a lot cheaper than the tin. If you get the press jug you can get expresso coffe in lidl it is in a black tin and is one of the nicest coffees you can get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭mandarin

You are not stuck with instant.

For a small investment you can pick up an aeropress or a French press or a moka pot or a clever coffee dripper...

Yeah, in fairness you can pick up a French press in Tesco for €7 or so, and the other alternatives aren't much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Autumn Moon

Lidl's "GranArom" 'Colombian' is quite nice!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Carte Noire is the only one I have tried that gets close to real coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 JD_matic

Lidl's "GranArom" 'Colombian' is quite nice!:)

Yes, this! A thousand times this!

Aldi do 3 regions of coffee in black bags with pictures on them, the other 2 are ok but the Columbian one is just perfect.

You're hard pressed to find better coffee elsewhere, and the Aldi Columbian one is around the 2 quid mark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

JD_matic wrote: »
    Yes, this! A thousand times this!

Aldi do 3 regions of coffee in black bags with pictures on them, the other 2 are ok but the Columbian one is just perfect.

You're hard pressed to find better coffee elsewhere, and the Aldi Columbian one is around the 2 quid mark!
    Must try this, finding it increasingly hard to get nice instant coffee. At the moment I use Nescafe Espresso, which is quite nice with a creamy texture.
    http://www.nestle.ca/en/products/brands/Nescafe/Espresso.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

doomed wrote: »
    Carte Noire is the only one I have tried that gets close to real coffee.
    +1

I only drink ground coffee normally (in germany) - either senseo at home or fresh ground at work, but when in Ireland I stock up on the carte noir as its a rather pleasant drink.
    In case anyone wonders why I go for instant rather than caffitere, I
    a ) cant be arsed with buying fresh coffee at stupid Irish prices and
    b ) cleaning up the mess when I only want a quick caffiene boost and
    c ) dumping whatever isnt used and then having to buy MORE fresh stuff the next time I am at home
    In Dunnes you can get a massive jar for 6 euro or something so is relatively cheap (Tesco is almost 10 euro for a large jar IIRC)

well, I should say that Starbucks do an absolute fantastic instant coffee in sachets but its an horrendous price.
    Its way better than even Carte Noir but that comes at a price !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

If time is the issue here, there is quite literally about 20 extra seconds in brewing a cup with aeropress compared with "brewing" "instant" "coffee". Including cleaning the aeropress (about a 2 second job).

If you write off the modest initial investment there is little difference in the per-cup cost between instant and freshly roasted beans.

Buy an aeropress, ~€30 i.e. http://coffeeangel.com/product/aeropress-coffee-maker/
    Buy a hand grinder, ~€45 i.e. http://coffeeangel.com/product/hario-skerton-hand-grinder/
    Get a bag of quality, freshly roasted beans, ~€8 i.e. http://www.badgeranddodo.ie/site/products/50/Ethiopia+Yirgacheffe+Bagersh
    (You now have a travel kit even if you eventually decide to go espresso)

You will be supporting enthusiasticly owned small businesses, and have a vastly superior cup of coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Has Lidl discontinued instant coffee in Ireland? Decaffeinated disappeared a couple months back from the local Lidl, now caffeinated is gone, too. The clerks at the shop don't know, they just stock what they're shipped. Anyone seeing any instant coffee at Lidl? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I like Supervalu Rich Roast. Beats their dearer one.

Used to use only Gold Blend which I still love, but was surprised at liking the SV one.

Advertisement