Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mackerel Bap?

Options
  • 13-03-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Ive been watching Hugh's fish fight on 4od and have become disscussed with the state of fishing in Europe. I love my fish but have to admit that i havn't tried nearly 1/5 of the fish that i should have. Just because we are alway offered the likes of cod. Anyway Hugh was trying to encourage us all to eat more sustainable fish like mackerel and came up with the Mackerel Bap that could get instead of our battered cod and chips on a friday night. Has anyone seen any fish and chips shops that offer this yet?

oh and check out www.fishfight.net to see that major prob happening in our sea's

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

mackerel? They are getting scarce as well thanks to the huge trawler ships. What about "rock mackerel" ie digfish?
    I wonder could cod be fish farmed? Never heard of that. I suppose if they could they would.
    7 billion people in the world now, the worlds population has doubled in the past 30 years. No wonder there are not enough fish for everyone to eat.
    food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

true wrote: »
    mackerel? They are getting scarce as well thanks to the huge trawler ships.
    Source? There are always plenty where I go fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

^^^

http://www.santiagotimes.cl/chile/environment/23330-mackerel-stocks-off-chiles-coast-reach-critically-low-levels
    The Chilean sea has been systematically plundered over the last two decades and jack mackerel stocks have been reduced to a critical level.

Jack mackerel stocks have diminished by 90 percent over the past 20 years and mackerel catches falling from 2.3 million tons to just 500,000 in just 10 years, according to a Greenpeace study.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/01/30/146083919/pacific-mackerel-stocks-that-feed-farmed-salmon-in-decline
    Farmed salmon, that ubiquitous pink fish decorated with ribbons of fat, can thank the forage fish of the southern Pacific ocean – like anchovy and jack mackerel – for their calorie-rich diet. Indeed, more than 5 pounds of jack mackerel typically can go towards raising one pound of farmed salmon.
    But that food supply – and the ocean ecosystem that supports it — may be in peril, according to a new report by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists. According to scientists the ICIJ spoke to, "supertrawler" fishing vessels from Asia, Europe and Latin America have contributed to a 63 percent decline in jack mackerel stocks since 2006. At the current rate of overfishing, the world's stock of jack mackerel, which is largely located off the coast of Chile, could collapse soon.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/local/mackerel_the_lifeblood_of_killybegs_murrin_1_3565213
    The deadlock continues between the European Union, Norway, Iceland and the Faroe Islands over the disputed Mackerel catch after negotiations to find a compromise broke down in Reykjevik, Iceland last week. ICES the scientific body that monitors the overall Mackerel stock have expressed serious concern at the failure to find agreement. Fishermen realise that the ongoing situation could do serious damage to long-term sustainability of the overall Mackerel stocks and would eventually lead to a big reduction in future Irish Mackerel quotas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i don't know about a mackerel bap, but we do a really nice mackerel salad at least once a week.

just grill your mackerel and make up a nice salad with your preferred salad leaves (we usually mix rocket with whatever else is going, baby leaf or whatever) and a few scallions, cucumber, beetroot, a little sweet red pepper and baby toms and then flake and sprinkle the mackerel over the top and you're done, unless you want to use the oil to make a bit of a dressing, but we find that there's enough left on the fish to keep the salad moist.

just to be naughty, we would usually prep a nice and simple baby new potato salad on the side with a bit of greek yoghurt and horseradish in it (my wife makes it, i'll get the exact recipe if anyone's interested). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You are talking about different species here.
    Jack Mackerel called Scad here are Trachurus sp.
    Mackerel are Scomber Scombrus.
    The NE Atlantic mackerel quota is 862,470 tons of which Ireland has 7% The 2011 scientific advice is that Mackerel is a stable stock and the landings should remain the same.
    There is no problem with Mackerel currently, especially if you buy it from small boats that use Jigging machines to catch them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

true wrote: »
    I wonder could cod be fish farmed? Never heard of that. I suppose if they could they would.

Cod is farmed in Norway...
    But people complain about fish that's farmed, they're probably the first ones to also complain about over fishing...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0315/fishing.html

Seems like Irish fishermen are happy enough with their lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

McDonaghs on Quay St in Galway do Mackerel from time to time

Advertisement