Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Visa Question

Options
  • 13-03-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Quick Question, my head is wrecked looking at VISA's

I may have an opportunity to obtain sponsorship from a company in America

The question is, under my visa, can my girlfriend also get a visa that will allow her to work?

Thanks in advance

Comments

Open to correction by people who would know more about this... but from my research in the exact same situation (boyfriend has sponsorship) your girlfriend would have no visa entitlement at all to live in the USA. Me and himself will have to get married if we want to move there together. I'd assume you're going on a H1B visa? Your spouse would be entitled to a H4 visa which does not entitle her to work.

Are there other visas your girlfriend may be able to apply for on her own?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You either need to get legally married, in which case she can get a visa as your spouse, or she needs to qualify on her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

silja wrote: »
    You either need to get legally married, in which case she can get a visa as your spouse, or she needs to qualify on her own.

And if we are married is she entitled to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    And if we are married is she entitled to work?

It depends what visa you will get. L1 (intra-company transfer) spouses are allowed to work; H1B spouses are not. I am not sure about the many other work visas there are.

Advertisement