Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgently need to rehome Dog but all options have been used!

• 13-03-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

My neighbour has complained about our Dog barking and unfortunately I can't do much about it. He is quiet while I'm at home but I work full time and my partner has decided she isn't mad about taking care of him even though we only got him with the Idea of both of us looking after him.
    Now the neighbours are threatening to bring me to court if he doesn't stop so I've decided to find him a new home but have reached a dead end.

Local shelters won't take him as he is mixed breed, can't get through to the local SPCA as their website is down and I can get through to them on the two phone numbers available.
    If I don't get something sorted by this weekend then I'm being brought to court...
    Any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Your partner cannot control your dog while your away? Would you not organise some dog lessons for you and your wife so that she can control the barking and bring the dog on a walk. Sounds like it might be bored.

On an off topic I find in extraordinary that someone can be brought to court because of loud dogs (and rightly so) but if you have a neighbour from hell it's almost impossible to get a resolution.

Good luck with whatever decision you decide on. There is a removing thread on there BTW. Pictures and details might help find a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

RummyMc wrote: »
    My neighbour has complained about our Dog barking and unfortunately I can't do much about it. He is quiet while I'm at home but I work full time and my partner has decided she isn't mad about taking care of him even though we only got him with the Idea of both of us looking after him.
    Now the neighbours are threatening to bring me to court if he doesn't stop so I've decided to find him a new home but have reached a dead end.

Local shelters won't take him as he is mixed breed, can't get through to the local SPCA as their website is down and I can get through to them on the two phone numbers available.
    If I don't get something sorted by this weekend then I'm being brought to court...
    Any help?

How can you be threatened with being 'brought to court' if you don't get rid of your dog by the weekend. You can't. It's not illegal for dogs to bark. Even assuming they go through the council, it's still unlikely you'll be brought to court. Why won't your partner help out with this poor animal rather than dump him in a shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭RummyMc

She has no interest in him as I think she forgot small puppies grow up. The thing is he is a well trained dog and is great on walks but just he is lonely while I'm away at work and it's the only time he barks as he is left outside on his own. He just loves being around people.

And yes my neighbours from hell consists of a solicitors office :/ and I've already tried the rehoming thread on here and other sites. No luck.

Thanks anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

A lot of your post doesn't make sense, maybe you're just writing as you think and panicking slightly and that's why I don't know.

But firstly, your partner would rather see you brought to court than help look after the dog?! How are you being brought to court this weekend because your dog is barking, have you had local noise council type people (whatever they're called) to take readings of the decibels of noise? Or maybe it's a private case against you, again the details aren't clear. So when you are at work is the dog outside barking and your partner is in the house? Why is he barking, is he left alone, not excercised enough? All those things are easily rectified, I don't understand why your partner won't help, especially if he/she agreed when you first got the dog that you would both look after it.

Just as an aside, local shelters would not turn your dog away because it is a mixed breed! Otherwise they'd all be mostly empty!!

What have you actually done to try and rehome the dog?

She has no interest in him as I think she forgot small puppies grow up. The thing is he is a well trained dog and is great on walks but just he is lonely while I'm away at work and it's the only time he barks as he is left outside on his own. He just loves being around people.

And yes my neighbours from hell consists of a solicitors office :/ and I've already tried the rehoming thread on here and other sites. No luck.

Thanks anyways

Sorry now, but I'd be rehoming my partner and keeping the dog.

Have you looked into getting a dog walker?

I really am truly amazed that your partner seems to have washed her hands of this dog - and you've had it since it was a pup? Seriously, amazed.

• Advertisement

From the citizensinformations website
    ''Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. The District Court can make an order requiring the reduction of excessive barking by a dog, can limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or can direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden as an unwanted dog.

You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Noise Regulations. Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by completing a special form under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986. These forms are available from your local authority.''

I'm not being brough to court this weekend but rather the Neighbours will be starting the process of bringing me to court if I don't have it sorted by the weekend.
    And yes he is barking as he is alone outside while I'm at work. He is excercised but he is stil young and super hyper but appart from that he doesn't like being away from people.

And I contacted the local shelter using the number from the local county coucil website and yes I was told that they won't thake him as they don't think they can rehome him.

I've contacted 4 shelters (3 no kill and 1 local one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Have you tried a citronella collar?
    Have you tried sonic anti-bark devices??
    Have you tried leaving the dog access to enter the property???

I'd be having words with your partner for washing her hands so quickly. Christ, all she needs to do is let him in if shes at home. ...but each to their own I suppose. Sad, the poor dog deserves better, but I guess you already know that, and thats why you are looking to rehome.

I never heard of the 1st two so thank you very much for, for the helpful reply.
    we live with 3 other people and that is why he doesn't have free roam around the house.
    I'd find a new home for us to live on our own but we don't have the money for it.

She didn't wash her hands of him straigh away but over the few months we've had him. She doesn't know how to hand a dog and is on the delicate side so he completely over powers her, I've tried to show her how to handle him but it hasn't worked and now the Dog thinks he is higher up the pecking order than her so she has given up trying to take care of him.

Knowing her as I do I don't think dog lessons will help her to handle him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A rescue won't take a dog because the dog is a mixed breed? That's odd.

Can understand your prediciment if the other half isn't willing to make an effort then it's very hard to talk any sense into them. Is a dog minder an option for you i.e. do you have a dog day care facility in your area? Like dog training ireland?

If anything like that isn't an option and your partner isn't willing to make the effort try some rescues outside of your county there should be a list of rescues on irishanimals.ie

Seems such a shame when it's such an easy problem to solve maybe sit down and have a chat with your partner but if they aren't willing to budge and if you haven't the time or money to sort out the problem perhaps it's best for the dog to find another home.

Can the dog not be kept indoors while you are gone that way any barking should be muffled although this doesn't solve the problem it's a temp. measure until you get something sorted. It seems such a silly reason to rehome a dog but again your partner clearly doesn't want the dog which is worse for the dog in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

What type of dog is it, I know it's mixed, but any ideas, I'm just wondering how big he is.

Your partners reaction is more comman than anyone would like to admit I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Yes the local rescue on irishanimals.ie is the one which won't take him. I did e-mail one shelter from a neighbouring county but they told me I'd have to use my local services and gave me the SSPCA's number which seemed to be dissconnected. I'll look around a bit more but I always seem to get the same replies.

I'd like to keep him indoors but as I said with other people in the house it's not a option and our bedroom is not appropriate for a dog to stay in for long hours.

And yes the situation has gotten to the point that rehoming is the best option but I will try out one of the collars Zulu mentioned 1st to see if it's works until I can find something better for him.

Thanks anyways.

FML

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭okiss

My neighbours from hell consists of a solicitors office who are complaining about a barking dog. Why not tell them to get lost - this is Patrick's weekend and they are going to take you to court about a barking dog.
    I would understand if it was a family with babies or small children but a solicitors office what the f****. I would chat to all the dog owners in the local area and see if they know anyone looking for a dog. I would explain that the solicitors office next door are going sue you as the dog barks during the day.
    I would get them to bring there dogs for a crap stop outside this office also.
    Barking dog or dog doo which would they like the most.
    I would let your dog crap outside this office from now also.
    If they say anything more to you tell them to **** off in a polite way.
    Tell your girlfriend that she need to bring the dog for a walk each day as this is why he is barking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

My dog suffers from separation anxiety, we got her a tablet from the vets, Zylkene, it has helped to ease her anxiety a lot. Would you consider something like this?

Also does the dog have anything to keep him occupied outside? Kong or other toys?

gud4u: He is a mix labrador/pitbull and ssem to be at full size now so he is a medium size.
    I think people are put off by the Pitbull side of him but I have to say I have rarely met a Dog with such a good Temperment in my life. He'd be a perfect dog for any family which makes this so much harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Why not put a muzzle on him?

Sambuka41: That might be a great idea, I'll definitly check out Zylkene with the vet. And he has all sorts of toys and such but he quickly gets bored with them.

gud4u: He is a mix labrador/pitbull and ssem to be at full size now so he is a medium size.
    I think people are put off by the Pitbull side of him but I have to say I have rarely met a Dog with such a good Temperment in my life. He'd be a perfect dog for any family which makes this so much harder.

Wow, anychance of a photo, I've rehomed 3 dogs, the last one I couldn't and took her myself because she was a rottie, so you may run into the biased views of some because of the pitbull in him. Sad but true.

Don't give up yet, what about a sand pit with his favourite toys, Hide a kong inside. Wet some of his food, put it in Kong, then freeze. I then pour fish oil over it to make it smelly and he looooves it.
    I'm going to try the sandpit for my GSD, he likes digging the gravel and barking, despite company all day. I live in the country so it's not a problem, as in, no neighbours.

My lads also love Kongs, stuffed with niceties, they'll chew them for hours.

You can get the kids sandpits in Argos on special sometimes, ones that can be closed over when not in use.

If your partner is not willing to help, just strike it off as a lesson learnt. When he gets older and she can handle him she might start walking him again. Just saying as this is exactly what happened my friend, she being like your partner. and it was a big gsd involved.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Sambuka41: That might be a great idea, I'll definitly check out Zylkene with the vet. And he has all sorts of toys and such but he quickly gets bored with them.

Yeah you have to rotate the toys and not let him have access to them when you are there,its like something for them to look forward to when you leave! From this forum I got the idea to freeze the food in the Kong so it takes longer to get the food out. I also hide/bury treats around the garden and let her sniff them out.

The tablet has been great for my dog as she is an anxious dog in general. Tablets help but you would still need to walk him to get rid of some of the energy, and try make it somewhat entertaining for them.

(also the DAP collar worked brilliantly but only for a few days)

darokane wrote: »
    Why not put a muzzle on him?

How would that work, if it's tight enough to stop him barking, would it be too tight to let him drink water. What about eating.

Maybe I'm missing something, if I did that to mine, he'd surely end up caught in something. But he is a bit of a dope:)

Here you go gud4u, he was a bit younger at the time so his a bit smaller in the photo. It's not great but the best I can get on short notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

"I would chat to all the dog owners in the local area and see if they know anyone looking for a dog. I would explain that the solicitors office next door are going sue you as the dog barks during the day.
    I would get them to bring there dogs for a crap stop outside this office also.
    Barking dog or dog doo which would they like the most."

Okiss, are you for real? It's about the worst advice i've ever seen... That won't endear dog owners to anyone, just get peoples back us more. And i'm pretty sure it's illegal and downright dirty too.

Here you go gud4u, he was a bit younger at the time so his a bit smaller in the photo. It's not great but the best I can get on short notice.

OMG, He's gorgeous, could you train him to walk better on the lead so your partner could handle him better.

Don't give him up too easy.

Thing is he is trained well enough, it's just he has a very strong build so even the slighest pull and my partner is struggling to hold on as she is very delicate.

But on other news I've just gotten a call that someone might be interest and wants to check him out, they want his as a hunting dog. Not sure how I feel about that but it's definitly a push n the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Arragh he's lovely!

Re the citronella collar, I use one on our lab, as she barks when left alone. It worked perfect for us. ...and she doesn't mind it - in that she sits down in the morning waiting for us to put it on!
    It's great.

gud4u wrote: »
    How would that work, if it's tight enough to stop him barking, would it be too tight to let him drink water. What about eating.

Maybe I'm missing something, if I did that to mine, he'd surely end up caught in something. But he is a bit of a dope:)

Just at certain times of the day to reduce the barking, one of them collars would be a better idea.

which one needs to be rehomed?

HawHaw very funny, and the answer is both of them, I don't think I can stand living beside the solicitors office any more after this one. It sickens me when I walk past their door every day

HawHaw very funny, and the answer is both of them, I don't think I can stand living beside the solicitors office any more after this one. It sickens me when I walk past their door every day

Ah no it's a lovely dog and if my OH seen it she'd want it straightaway:)

Thing is he is trained well enough, it's just he has a very strong build so even the slighest pull and my partner is struggling to hold on as she is very delicate.

But on other news I've just gotten a call that someone might be interest and wants to check him out, they want his as a hunting dog. Not sure how I feel about that but it's definitly a push n the right direction.

Just make sure you can see where he's going and ask for regualr updates for the first few months. He would have to be trained to hunt, just make sure he goes to the right person for that purpose. Make sure the person has experience with gundogs.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, but I just think you're giving up too easily. Just because it's a solicitors office that has complained and threatened to take you to court - have you actually looked into your rights and the legalitys, aside from just posting something copied from a website. Have you been into the solicitors office to talk to them face to face about the problem and seen what they want you to do to resolve it? Dogs bark, there has to be some give and take if they have an office in a residential area.

Are you getting up and walking the dog in the morning before you go to work? And again when you get home?

Does the dog have any toys or stimulation when it's outside alone all day? Is it tied up or in a dog run?

Is there doggy day care or a dog walker in your area?

Do you really want to keep the dog or would you be happier just rehoming?

If you do rehome, please please please please x 1 million make sure he is neutered, please please and do a home check, ask a lot of questions, don't just give him to the first person who shows interest because you're desperate to get rid.

And to the person who said muzzle the dog - what for the whole day to stop it barking? That's ridiculous. And cruel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have a look at a headcollar such as a halti, they are brilliant for handling an excitable dog. Is it just that he's big and strong the reason your gf can't/won't handle him? No such thing as such as a pecking order/pack leader sort of thing, dogs just know who will let them get away with certain things and your gf has probably just let him away with murder when he was a small cute pup, some general basic training will help her handle him but she needs to be consistent. A few sessions with a trainer will help hugely.

If he isin't already neutered get him done before you rehome him, will help deter him from falling into the wrong hands in the future.

Just to add: There is a dog walker in the sligo area, not sure if I'm allowed post a link here, if you can't find her on google I'l pm you the link.

Tranceypoo wrote: »

And to the person who said muzzle the dog - what for the whole day to stop it barking? That's ridiculous. And cruel.

Would you rather if the dog was put down because a home couldn't be found?
    Which option would you choose if it was a choice between the 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to interject, please only post viable and legal solutions.
    Suggesting things like getting all the neighbours dogs to poo outside an office is just silly and only adds fuel to the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Heather21

Get a barking collar - from Petsafe, but make sure and get the shock collar. We got one that beeped first and it didn't work, but then got the shock collar and it worked thank god. We were at our wits end and had a neighbour complaining non-stop too. Don't give up on him yet. Good Luck. BTW: he's lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Tough situation, I would exhaust every avenue before going down the rehoming route though. There have been lots of great ideas to try and keep him occupied so definitely try those before the worst comes to the worst. If you are worried about being brought to court call into the solicitors office, tell them that you are trying a few things and if they don't work then you will look at re-homing the dog. I think that is fairly reasonable.

I certainly wouldn't be put off by the pitbull part as I think a dog is first and foremost a dog, and second a breed. If worst does come to worst why not get in contact with EGAR, they do great work with bully breeds and might be able to help in some way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

so even the slighest pull and my partner is struggling to hold on as she is very delicate.
    Would a choke collar be an option? Usually don't like them, but for an erm... "delicate" person; it may be an option?

the_syco wrote: »
    Would a choke collar be an option? Usually don't like them, but for an erm... "delicate" person; it may be an option?

They work great but it's not fair on the dog, a harness might be an idea

Would you rather if the dog was put down because a home couldn't be found?
    Which option would you choose if it was a choice between the 2?

I wouldn't choose either option and the OP doesn't have to either.

Firstly I would exhaust every single avenue to keep my dog and to me it doesn't sound the OP has done this, maybe he can come on and clarify this.

If I had to choose a second option I would rehome, after neutering the dog. And I would search and do research and ask a million questions to any potential rehomer but it would literally have to be a life or death situation before I went down this road and even then....

OP, please do not use a shock collar or a choke collar, they do exactly what they say on the tin, they either shock (ie inflict pain on) your dog or choke (ie inflict pain on) your dog or a muzzle. Please take on board the humane suggestions you have been given, ie exercise, toys, day care etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Heather21 wrote: »
    Get a barking collar - from Petsafe, but make sure and get the shock collar. We got one that beeped first and it didn't work, but then got the shock collar and it worked thank god. We were at our wits end and had a neighbour complaining non-stop too. Don't give up on him yet. Good Luck. BTW: he's lovely.

Please dont do this. Shocking a dog is not only cruel but its unnecessary and can actaully make a dog a lot worse and stress them out even more.

Shocking a dog and causing it pain, is not a solution to these type of situations so please dont this to your dog.

You need to find things to keep your dog entertained and stimulated. There are lot of special toys and treats that can do this and keep a dog occupied. A frozen kong will keep a dog occupied for hours and will tire them out mentally as well.

I wouldn't choose either option and the OP doesn't have to either.

Firstly I would exhaust every single avenue to keep my dog and to me it doesn't sound the OP has done this, maybe he can come on and clarify this.

If I had to choose a second option I would rehome, after neutering the dog. And I would search and do research and ask a million questions to any potential rehomer but it would literally have to be a life or death situation before I went down this road and even then....

OP, please do not use a shock collar or a choke collar, they do exactly what they say on the tin, they either shock (ie inflict pain on) your dog or choke (ie inflict pain on) your dog or a muzzle. Please take on board the humane suggestions you have been given, ie exercise, toys, day care etc.

I asked you if you only had a choice between the 2 so you don't get the option of not choosing one

• Advertisement

Put it this way, If i wanted to keep my dog i would do anything within my power to keep it
    Whether that be using a shock collar or muzzle to stop it barking and i wouldn't be listening to no one giving me their self righteous answer.

Put it this way, If i wanted to keep my dog i would do anything within my power to keep it
    Whether that be using a shock collar or muzzle to stop it barking and i wouldn't be listening to no one giving me their self righteous answer.

There are several other humane ways and methods to stop a dog from barking which havent been tried out yet so why would someone have to resort to cruelty when its not necessary?:confused:

I asked you if you only had a choice between the 2 so you don't get the option of not choosing one

And I told you. I wouldn't choose either. Because there are way more than 2 options available. Both those choices are inhumane and unnecessary.

That's my answer. If you think it's 'self-righteous', well that's your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'll just be 100% honest and say that I don't really think you want to keep him any more than your partner wants to look after him. I don't doubt that you love him but a shelter is not going to turn a dog away because it is a cross-breed, which is what you explicitly said. That is utter nonsense. And I'm pretty sure rescue centers cannot turn you away because you have a local one in your area...
    Training classes probably would work, the fact that you have not explored this avenue and simply announced that it would not work for your partner suggests that she's pretty much told you to get rid of the poor chap, and you're going on with it.
    I really also don't see how you can share a house with other people and they can leave that poor thing outside howling and crying for attention when they're inside - because I imagine you all hardly leave the house at the exact same time for the same length of time?
    It's seeming more like you haven't really explored any options to rehome him short of what you could do from your computer...

andreac wrote: »
    There are several other humane ways and methods to stop a dog from barking which havent been tried out yet so why would someone have to resort to cruelty when its not necessary?:confused:

It's not cruelty, it's perfectly legal, The OP clearly has to do something and before the weekend. Like i said i would do anything to keep my dog yet the people giving the self righteous answers would rehome them before using a shock collar or muzzle.
    what does that say?

And I told you. I wouldn't choose either. Because there are way more than 2 options available. Both those choices are inhumane and unnecessary.

That's my answer. If you think it's 'self-righteous', well that's your choice.

I gave you 2 options, i knew you wouldn't be able to answer it, anyway spout away to someone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

andreac wrote: »

Shock collars etc are not cruel - any dog training aid has its purpose provided it's used correctly for training and not abused. But should be used as the last resort training tool after all other ones have been explored. Not all dogs are easy to train or respond to training techniques in the same way.

I gave you 2 options, i knew you wouldn't be able to answer it, anyway spout away to someone else

Are you flirting with me....;)

Are you flirting with me....;)

clearly:)

dmg10 wrote: »
    Shock collars etc are not cruel - any dog training aid has its purpose provided it's used correctly for training and not abused. But should be used as the last resort training tool after all other ones have been explored. Not all dogs are easy to train or respond to training techniques in the same way.

Of course they are cruel, anything that gives the dog an electric shock and causes pain is cruel.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement