Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgently need to rehome Dog but all options have been used!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

This is going to go off the rails very fast, I think it's safe to say that the OP hasn't even fully explored teaching his missus how to walk the dog, no need to be jumping to shock collars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thls thread is crazy. Tomorrow is Wednesday - just leave him in for the next 3 days!?! Why all the panic to sort it before the (BH) weekend ?!? If he's getting a walk in the morning and being fed a good quality diet he should be settled inside anyways?! My dog sleeps most of the day on the couch or in his crate lol! Tescos/Argos/IKEA all sell baby gates - you can section off a room or the stairs if you don't want him having access to the whole house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    no need to be jumping to shock collars!

depends how much of a shock they gave ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

Bring it for a run in the morning, then feed it and put it in a room or into a training crate.

Tell your partner to let him out a few times during the day to go to the bathroom and when you get home give it as much attention as possible.

It's really, really shítty behaviour from your partner but even if they've "washed their hands" with the dog, they shouldn't object to standing there for a few mins and letting it have a run around before taking it back in. You can sort out obedience/anti-bark training in the mean time and eventually it should be trained up sufficiently to be let out for the majority of the day. Don't give up on it.

I know this might sound ridiculous but if a partner of mine took such an attitude and refused to help out my dog, despite being around to do so and it not requiring much work on her part, I'd be considering what else she could potentially give the finger to in the future. Such a very unattractive attitude to take toward something so positive in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭RummyMc

My god some of the people here just being ridiculas. Your saying I'm not trying and shashabear your just calling me a liar. I DID call the shelter and that is what she told me, maybe you come on here to talk crap but I don't. It's safe to say shashabear and Tracypoo are juming the gun and your condeming me straight up but your not even reading all my posts as your asking me questions I've already answered, your attitude is no better than the solicitors next door, secondly one of the reasons I came on here was to try and FIND SOME INFORMATION so that I CAN try everything.
    If you havn't noticed all the idea's I have really liked here are all the non-rehoming ones but also it's not that I want to get rid of him it's that no matter the options it has to be sorted by this weekend. I'm not rich so I don't have the money to pay for dog trainers and walkers etc. I already buy him the best food I possibly can while unfortunatly happen to be one of the most expensive but I do it because I love him.
    He has a choke collar and I've gone through the walking process with my partner enough times to know it's not working.
    I've done alot more than just look for internet solutions, I've plagued everyone who knows me for help and everytime I find someone good to take him it falls through for one reason or another and I havn't given it to the 1st person who'd take him otherwise I know plenty of Travellers and such that would love to have him.

I work a full time job on top of many other commitments and I don't have the time to walk him twice a day and babysit him at him 24/7 while feeding training and anything else you can think of a dog needs.

Show some respect, he was abandoned when I got him and I didn't take him in he would more than likely be dead by now.

So what you are saying is the local shelter actually told you they would not take the dog because he is not pure bred, and that is exactly what they told you? I would definitely look into reporting them to a superior if this is the case, very odd Shelter that will only deal in pedigree dogs!

I am not jumping any guns, neither of us are, but if your missus is so damned hell bent on having nothing more to do with the dog, and you work full time, and the dog is not allowed inside when you are not there, then pretty much none of the non-rehoming suggestions are of any use to you (assuming the missus doesn't have a change of heart and decide to co-operate).

Everyone who interacts with the dog are going to have to co-operate fully for him to have any sort of stability in his life. He is going to be miserable sitting outside and being ignored and if your missus doesn't want him, it could have serious effects on his behavior since, as you admitted, he sees himself as higher in the pecking order than her, and will likely end up getting jealous of the way attention is doled out.

As many have said, your lady has a very negative attitude to this whole situation, and you are not painting her in any sort of a positive light.

Taking in an abandoned dog is very endearing, but not when you need to put it back in a shelter because one or more people involved weren't ready for the commitment. He's just getting older, lonelier and harder to re-home.

If you want some honest advice, put all of these non-rehoming ideas you like to your missus, find out the level of co-operation you can expect to get. If she is not willing to budge, then I am truly sorry but he is better off in another home. I'm sorry if that isn't what you want to hear and I can appreciate you love your dog but you did say you explored all options and the dog needs to be rehomed urgently. It doesn't look like you have explored half of the most obvious options.

Again, it all comes down to your other half. If she won't help with the dog, then he's going to be spending all day outside barking, and a quick sweep of the forum will show you that it won't be long before other neighbors become concerned for his welfare.

That is the most honest and sincere advice I can give you, coming personally from someone who was in a similar predicament, and based on the information you have given and the way you worded it.

"I work a full time job on top of many other commitments and I don't have the time to walk him twice a day and babysit him at him 24/7 while feeding training and anything else you can think of a dog needs. "

Then how can you expect any of the above solutions to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    So what you are saying is the local shelter actually told you they would not take the dog because he is not pure bred, and that is exactly what they told you? I would definitely look into reporting them to a superior if this is the case, very odd Shelter that will only deal in pedigree dogs!

I am not jumping any guns, neither of us are, but if your missus is so damned hell bent on having nothing more to do with the dog, and you work full time, and the dog is not allowed inside when you are not there, then pretty much none of the non-rehoming suggestions are of any use to you (assuming the missus doesn't have a change of heart and decide to co-operate).

Everyone who interacts with the dog are going to have to co-operate fully for him to have any sort of stability in his life. He is going to be miserable sitting outside and being ignored and if your missus doesn't want him, it could have serious effects on his behavior since, as you admitted, he sees himself as higher in the pecking order than her, and will likely end up getting jealous of the way attention is doled out.

As many have said, your lady has a very negative attitude to this whole situation, and you are not painting her in any sort of a positive light.

Taking in an abandoned dog is very endearing, but not when you need to put it back in a shelter because one or more people involved weren't ready for the commitment. He's just getting older, lonelier and harder to re-home.

If you want some honest advice, put all of these non-rehoming ideas you like to your missus, find out the level of co-operation you can expect to get. If she is not willing to budge, then I am truly sorry but he is better off in another home. I'm sorry if that isn't what you want to hear and I can appreciate you love your dog but you did say you explored all options and the dog needs to be rehomed urgently. It doesn't look like you have explored half of the most obvious options.

Again, it all comes down to your other half. If she won't help with the dog, then he's going to be spending all day outside barking, and a quick sweep of the forum will show you that it won't be long before other neighbors become concerned for his welfare.

That is the most honest and sincere advice I can give you, coming personally from someone who was in a similar predicament, and based on the information you have given and the way you worded it.

What gives you the right to judge his OH, In that post you've put the blame completely on her
    Shame on you.

darokane wrote: »
    What gives you the right to judge his OH, In that post you've put the blame completely on her
    Shame on you.

Well to be honest, everyone is judging her, because the OP wants to keep his dog, and his OH doesn't. So who's fault is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

RummyMc wrote: »
    I work a full time job on top of many other commitments and I don't have the time to walk him twice a day and babysit him at him 24/7 while feeding training and anything else you can think of a dog needs.

Why did you rescue him then. Plenty of dog owners have full time jobs, kids and god knows what other commitments and still manage to walk their dogs, feed and train them which is the bare minimum a dog deserves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

darokane wrote: »
    It's not cruelty, it's perfectly legal, The OP clearly has to do something and before the weekend. Like i said i would do anything to keep my dog yet the people giving the self righteous answers would rehome them before using a shock collar or muzzle.
    what does that say?

Just because its legal does not mean its not cruel.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I've had enough of this thread and users judging the op and their partner.he asked for help with the dog not a lecture on his wife.Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement